Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1
xurizaemon
macrumors newbie

Unhappy iPhone - left channel audio only

I own an iPhone 3G. Audio only comes from the left channel in iTunes, apps etc. This is true whether there are headphones connected or not, which seems to suggest it's not simply a poor connection in the stereo jack.

From what I read there's no software balance control but I wonder if this issue is common or resolvable. I'd love to fix this!

Any suggestions? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
xurizaemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:07 PM   #2
anjinha
macrumors 604

iPhone only has one working bottom speaker/defective speaker
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:11 PM   #3
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurizaemon View Post
I own an iPhone 3G. Audio only comes from the left channel in iTunes, apps etc. This is true whether there are headphones connected or not, which seems to suggest it's not simply a poor connection in the stereo jack.

From what I read there's no software balance control but I wonder if this issue is common or resolvable. I'd love to fix this!

Any suggestions? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Don't pay attention to the other guy about the one working speaker. If you only get one channel in your headphones, then there is a definite problem.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:17 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

3 years later ...

Back to the thread about what we'll discuss in 2019.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:23 PM   #5
labman
macrumors 604

And

In the sticky notes at the top of this very section with almost the same title!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=546874
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6
macfanboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurizaemon View Post
This is true whether there are headphones connected or not, which seems to suggest it's not simply a poor connection in the stereo jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjinhamarota View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
In the sticky notes at the top of this very section with almost the same title!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=546874
read the OP. hes talkin about HEADPHONES as well, not speakers

these repliers are full of FAIL
macfanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:29 PM   #7
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanboy View Post
read the OP. hes talkin about HEADPHONES as well, not speakers

these repliers are full of FAIL
At least ONE other person was paying attention to the original post. I swear, people don't even read and they come in expecting that he means the bottom speakers.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:32 PM   #8
iphonesurfer
macrumors newbie

Unhappy ME TOO !!! <left audio only>

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
Don't pay attention to the other guy about the one working speaker. If you only get one channel in your headphones, then there is a definite problem.
I have a 16GB iPhone 3G and the left speaker is the only one working as well!! it was a gift so I didn't take it back or anything, at first I thought I could fix it somehow, but there is no way to fix it.
BUT< when I use head phones I have audio from both sides.....
iphonesurfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:32 PM   #9
anjinha
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
At least ONE other person was paying attention to the original post. I swear, people don't even read and they come in expecting that he means the bottom speakers.
Actually he said "This is true whether there are headphones connected or not" so he's referring to the speakers too (but that's supposed to happen because there' only one). If it happens with the headphones it might be that one of them isn't working (it happens a lot with the Apple headphones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonesurfer View Post
I have a 16GB iPhone 3G and the left speaker is the only one working as well!! it was a gift so I didn't take it back or anything, at first I thought I could fix it somehow, but there is no way to fix it.
Read the first reply to this thread.

Last edited by anjinha; Dec 14, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
anjinha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonesurfer View Post
Oh my goodness.

This is only gonna get better.
Knowlege Bomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:36 PM   #11
projectone
macrumors member

maybe..... just maybe.... it can be fixed with a fresh firmware update

otherwise

Bring it to the apple store and get a replacement. And maybe have some music that fully demonstrates this issue as they might think your complaining about the right speaker being broken. Pink Floyd or Postal Service (Such great heights) would be good. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOkfI7wCrI would be good to show them if you have a stubborn genius guy.
projectone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:40 PM   #12
lollicup
Banned

Just to clear this up ( because there are noobs in this thread that clearly don't read stickies)

A) The iphone only has one speaker, so its normal for the right speaker not to work

B) It is not normal to have only one side of your audio work when you wear headphones

OP You should get some compressed air and blow it into your earphone jack. There have been several reports of people having audio issues due to junk/link getting into their earphone jack
lollicup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:40 PM   #13
BlackiBook
macrumors 6502

You know I almost posted this exact same thread about two months ago except I saw the sticky at the top of the page...
BlackiBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:44 PM   #14
projectone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup View Post
OP You should get some compressed air and blow it into your earphone jack. There have been several reports of people having audio issues due to junk/link getting into their earphone jack
Don't think that's the issue because if its that, he would hear both left and right from the speaker itself.

-- but yes, using compressed air does work when all of a sudden you cant hear crap from your headphones.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:46 PM   #15
anjinha
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectone View Post
Don't think that's the issue because if its that, he would hear both left and right from the speaker itself.

-- but yes, using compressed air does work when all of a sudden you cant hear crap from your headphones.
He can't hear left and right from the speakers because only the left one is a speaker, the other one is a mic.

Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:48 PM   #16
projectone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjinhamarota View Post
He can't hear left and right from the speakers because only the left one is a speaker, the other one is a mic.

you've got it wrong. Even though the iphone has only ONE speaker, both the left channel and right channel is played through the monophone. The OP can't hear his right channel, and not his right speaker.

For example, the OP would be able to hear this mp3 whether its on the speaker or headphone http://users.skynet.be/fa046054/home/P22/track12.mp3 and if his right channel is having problems he would not hear this mp3 http://users.skynet.be/fa046054/home/P22/track14.mp3

Last edited by projectone; Dec 14, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:10 PM   #17
thelatinist
macrumors 603

OP: Are you sure you're getting only the left channel through the bottom speaker? As others have pointed out, there is only one speaker on the bottom of the iPhone.

Try these two files:

Right Channel: Sweep right, 20 - 20.000 Hz -10 dB (677 KB)
Left Channel: Sweep left, 20 - 20.000 Hz -10 dB (677 KB)

If you can hear both of these files out of your bottom speaker, then both channels are working through your bottom speaker, and your problem is likely to be with the headphone jack.

If you hear only one of these files through the bottom speaker, then there is clearly a problem either with the software or hardware on your phone. You should then try a complete restore and set up as new iPhone.

If you still have the problem after restoring and setting up as a new phone, then your next step is to take it to the genius bar for replacement.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:14 PM   #18
projectone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
OP: Are you sure you're getting only the left channel through the bottom speaker? As others have pointed out, there is only one speaker on the bottom of the iPhone.

Try these two files:

If you can hear both of these files out of your bottom speaker, then both channels are working through your bottom speaker, and your problem is likely to be with the headphone jack.

If you hear only one of these files through the bottom speaker, then there is clearly a problem either with the software or hardware on your phone. You should then try a complete restore and set up as new iPhone.

If you still have the problem after restoring and setting up as a new phone, then your next step is to take it to the genius bar for replacement.
why the redundancy i may ask?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:28 PM   #19
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectone View Post
why the redundancy i may ask?
What redundancy?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:23 PM   #20
medicscott
Banned

there is only one speaker on the iphone...the right one is a mic.
medicscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:26 PM   #21
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Wow, this thread is really getting painful.

Does anyone know how to read??
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:59 PM   #22
lollicup
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post

Try these two files:

nice post ( saved the files for future reference )

thanks
lollicup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:16 PM   #23
macordiefool
macrumors newbie

WOW! I had to keep reading to fully grasp the situation. Like a slow motion train wreck.
My suggestion: read..think..reread..think.........reply if necessary
macordiefool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:34 PM   #24
apc0243
macrumors newbie

OK!

Knowing that there is a channel issue NOT A SPEAKER ISSUE, we can continue on with figuring it out.

I'd just like to reiterate, that when you played the aforementioned mp3's in one works and one doesn't, and the one that doesn't is the left channel (This is when your headphones are NOT plugged in.)

I assume then that the same is true for the headphones - Correct?

Changing types of headphones does not produce any different results - Correct?

This sounds like a software issue. Try backing up the iPhone and restoring to factory settings. If this doesn't resolve anything I'd say it is a hardware issue. As long as there is no apparent physical damage you will probably have to send it in to Apple.

Because there is the same issue headphones or not, I'd venture to say that it is a motherboard problem, not a speaker or jack problem. I have no idea how to repair any motherboard issues.

Of course, I could be completely off base in all of this, in which case PM me and we can try to figure it out.
apc0243 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:10 PM   #25
dave401
macrumors newbie

Smile How To Fix Audio from One Channel Only (e.g. left speaker only)

My iPhone 4 has an audio balance slider in Settings -> General -> Accessibility, scroll down to "Led Flash for Alerts, Mono Audio, and L - R balance".

When I applied an IOS update, I lost the right channel for music, but not phone calls... Curious place to put the audio channel balance ;-<

But all better now.
dave401 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting