Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:04 PM   #1
paulauryn
macrumors newbie

HELP Please Ibook G4 Display

Hi, My daughter has an iBook G4 which she loves and uses daily for school. When she turend it on today it would power up but no display. The CAP Lock key will light up. I have reset the PRAM and PMU but no luck. Any advice is appreciated.
paulauryn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:33 PM   #2
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulauryn View Post
Hi, My daughter has an iBook G4 which she loves and uses daily for school. When she turend it on today it would power up but no display. The CAP Lock key will light up. I have reset the PRAM and PMU but no luck. Any advice is appreciated.
Sounds like you have the dreaded graphics chip problem .

Firmly press on the bottom near the battery release and then turn it on. See if that gets it to turn on. If that gets it to work, it's only a matter of time before it fails completely. I'd suggest backing up ASAP if you get it working again. There really are no permanent fixes but only temporary such as the shim method or having a chip resoldered. There's a very small chip on the bottom that develops micro cracks in the solder joint thus causing video problems. Applying pressure to that area usually creates the contact needed for it to run again.

Good luck.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
milton.sheaf
Banned

You can find a used iBook G4 on ebay for less than $200 these days.

Very easy to buy one, do a fresh install of OSX, then use the Apple Migration Tool to copy over all her settings, applications, documents, etc. It's a very easy process in case you've never used the migration tool before.

If your handy with a screw driver, you can buy the 1 GB ram upgrade (max) for ~$35 and a nice new 80 GB hard drive for ~$50.
milton.sheaf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs