Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Toshiba announced (via 9to5Mac) that they have launched a 64 gigabyte (GB) embedded NAND flash memory module. The new chip offers 64GB on a single chip and will start mass production in the first quarter of 2010.

The reason the largest iPhone (32GB) currently has 1/2 the memory of the largest iPod touch (64GB) is that the iPhone can only house a single NAND Flash chip while the iPod touch can accommodate two. The additional space in the iPhone is taken up by its communication hardware. This new advancement should allow for 64GB iPhones and 128GB iPod Touches in 2010.

Last year, Toshiba first announced their 32GB NAND Flash modules which apparently ended up being used in the latest iPhone revision. iSuppli's teardown identified Toshiba as the supplier of the iPhone 3GS's Flash memory.

Article Link: 64GB iPhone and 128GB iPod Touch Possible in 1st Quarter 2010?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So in 2011/2012 we can expect an iPhone that can accommodate HD movies to take advantage of all that space, right?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
"64GB iPhone and 128GB iPod Touch Possible in 1st Quarter 2010?"

If chips exist...possible. Because of initial price and known refresh cycles of iPhone and iPod touch...not probable in 1st quarter.

Skuman

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
The 32GB chip costs about $105 so the 64GB chip will cost about $250 roughly.

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
A 64gb iPhone would be excellent.. currently I have an 8gb but its not even worth me upgrading to the 32gb because that still wouldn't hold all my music. Can't see it happening Q1 for the iPhone though, possibly Q2 or even Q3?
signature_silverapple.jpg

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
If we see a revision to the iPod Touch, it will be at the September media event. We might see a addition of a 128GB version on the top end sooner. But I don't expect any sort of design overhaul or camera addition until September.

Additionally, I think this is the last year of the iPod Classic. Once the Touch capacities start to approach those of the Classic, there's really no reason for Apple to keep it around anymore.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I still find it hard to fill 16GB of iPT.

There just isn't that much music or video I want to tote around with me. Perhaps with a tablet type affair I would store most of my entertainment on there, but at this time these small devices are for a day's outing and sometimes a week trip. Really not necessary for so much memory.

Apple really needs a bigger sized device if they want to create a better entertainment platform for users. The iPT/iPhone is too small for enjoyment of video and gaming. Good for kids who need an escapist fix.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Okay, 64 MB memory possibly for iPhone...

Anyone have any clue what Apple will do for a possible processor? What will Apple do with PA Semi that they purchased? Will any technology from that purchase be for the iPhone or tablet or melded into Apple's fold without resulting in any new in-house product?

Any guesses or comments out there? Just wondering what others are thinking about the next iPhone revision outside of what network it will be on and whether CDMA will arrive for it to be on Verizon. I'm curious what others are thinking the next iPhone will have as far as internals, additions of something new, changing something for the better, and if there will be a form factor change. All rumors and speculations welcomed.

Mew2468

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Home of the 2010 Winter Games
At this rate, there'll be almost no need for an iPod Classic anymore :p.

Additionally, I think this is the last year of the iPod Classic. Once the Touch capacities start to approach those of the Classic, there's really no reason for Apple to keep it around anymore.

I don't think Apple is going to retire the iPod Classic. I don't want them to (even though I have an iPod Touch) because it's the only iPod that still "looks like an iPod". I'm pretty sure they'll keep it for a nostalgia factor. (Maybe they'll put flash memory into it).

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
the way ARM works is they license the basic technology and companies like Samsung, TI and others make a cutom design around it and produce the CPU's.

with PA Semi, Apple will probably extend the basic CPU design and get Samsung to manufacture it. don't look for a custom Apple produced CPU because they probably don't have all the patents to make a full CPU

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
"64GB iPhone and 128GB iPod Touch Possible in 1st Quarter 2010?"

If chips exist...possible. Because of initial price and known refresh cycles of iPhone and iPod touch...not probable in 1st quarter.

Actually, the capacity of the original iPhone (launced 2007) was bumped in Februari 2008 (to 16 GB). The iPhone 3G model kept the same capacity options as the original one (except for the 4 GB model which was dropped just months after the launch of the original iPhone). The iPhone 3G S model finally added the 32 GB option, while keeping the 16 GB capacity for low-end.

So the trackrecord is inconsistent, and they could go either way. If they would wait, it would be because of the initial price for 64 GB NAND flash chips beeing too high as you said.

Links:
https://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/05/apple-announces-16gb-iphone-and-32gb-ipod-touch/
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPhone

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I still find it hard to fill 16GB of iPT.

There just isn't that much music or video I want to tote around with me. Perhaps with a tablet type affair I would store most of my entertainment on there, but at this time these small devices are for a day's outing and sometimes a week trip. Really not necessary for so much memory.

Apple really needs a bigger sized device if they want to create a better entertainment platform for users. The iPT/iPhone is too small for enjoyment of video and gaming. Good for kids who need an escapist fix.

That's you, there are many people who would love the storage like that of an iPod Touch. Right now the 64GB would hold all my music but I have an iPhone so no reason for me to get an iPod Touch but I bet there are many people who love this idea.
iPod Touches are great for movies also and they take up space.

bastard

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
I think we all had the premonition that the next line would receive this upgrade.

However, I doubt :apple: will release the new iPhone 4G with this upgrade. I'm guessing they'll wait until they release their new iPod Touch in September.

Either way, I'm waiting until 2012, when I can assure that the iPhone will have 128 GB and everything else we long for it to have.
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.