Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
England
Bought on eBay, but sold as genuine.

Seller tells me they are a job lot of 5.5G iPod cables.

I believe they are fake.

Plastic feels cheap, rubber doesn't feel right, no end caps, and there is a small bit of plastic missing where the cable meets the USB connector on both the cables I bought.

I know it is not all that important, but I hate fake goods, especially when I believed them to be real!

Thoughts? Anyone have a 5.5G cable to hand to compare? I know the cables have changed slightly through the years.

Cheers,

Mark.

DSC09958.jpg

DSC09959.jpg

DSC09960-1.jpg

DSC09961.jpg

DSC09962.jpg

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Totally agree, it's fake... why would someone waste their time making fake cables. report him to eBay and get your money back.. does it even work? p.s you don't get cap ends with new iPhones

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
England
It worked on my Classic, but it kept cutting out on my 2G iPhone (although it could be the phone, it is on it's last legs).

I have asked for a refund.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Apple don't print on the cable, good fake though, very convincing.
My iPhone cable carries printing on it, and I'm reasonably sure at least some of my iPod cables have been too. These are all genuine, they came with the products.

That's not to say the product you have isn't a fake, however I wouldn't class it as such purely because of the printing.

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
England
The reduced size of the connector. Older cables' connectors were much bigger than the later ones, coinciding with the arrival of the iPhone as well as the other issues mentioned in the original post.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The reduced size of the connector. Older cables' connectors were much bigger than the later ones, coinciding with the arrival of the iPhone as well as the other issues mentioned in the original post.

For the 5.5g iPod the connector was around an inch "long" like in this [awful] picture. The newer iPods have a thinner connector, like the one you have... as you stated. So the seller is probably wrong in that they're "5.5g iPod cables" but they're not "fake" and should work just fine.

elitesouth

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2009
Savannah GA
It certainly looks fake, but does it work? Did you pay $19 for it?

There are a number of third party manufacturers out there that create iPod cables...

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
England
I've just compared it to a real cable that I have and there are about 20 differences! So yes, it isn't a real one.

The seller seems fair and didn't know of the problem, and has removed his other items and is contacting his supplier.

Mark
:apple:

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Christ, what would I want to do that for? You can't feel it, and you haven't compared it in person.

Oh, I'm glad we determine what's real and what's fake by how it "feels." As if the material that the cable is made out of can't change with age or temperature variation. Sorry, your method of drawing conclusions is seriously flawed.

I also don't know why you're so worked up over a $5 cable. If you think it's fake just buy another. Obviously nobody else is going to convince you that it's real.

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
England
Oh, I'm glad we determine what's real and what's fake by how it "feels." As if the material that the cable is made out of can't change with age or temperature variation. Sorry, your method of drawing conclusions is seriously flawed.

I also don't know why you're so worked up over a $5 cable. If you think it's fake just buy another. Obviously nobody else is going to convince you that it's real.

You are missing the point entirely. Now stop spamming my thread.

So, you've basically found 20 'differences' in this cable compared to your other one. Care to name those 20 differences?

...Plastic feels cheap, rubber doesn't feel right, no end caps, and there is a small bit of plastic missing...
Sounds like an Apple cable then. All of mine have had a small bit of plastic missing and end caps are never included. Also, can you describe the difference between cheap plastic and expensive plastic, although I do not have a habit of feeling my cables (do not say, "That's what he said!").

King Mook Mook

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
These comments don't even deserve a response, so I will keep my mouth shut. ;)

A lot of the people here are kind of social retards. Anyway..

I say if it works, who cares if its genuine. If I could find a fake that works and looks the same but costs less, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Usually the fakes arent worth it though. In this case, I'd say it would be where it's just a cable.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
mine has writing on it but it has a dot (like a full stop but not) after the china and mines 100% real

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.