Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:59 AM   #1
mediocrefuzz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Cannot move to trash cannot delete file....

'the item "....." cab;t be moved to the Trash because it can't be delete.'

The file is just a Safari download icon you often get when downloading a file, and I can't move it or do anything to it, I can't access its info or move it around the desktop.

Any solutions?
mediocrefuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Jon-Luke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cape Town
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon-Luke
The "Item" you are attempting to delete may be locked...

Try to right click the item "Apple/CMD" click - A window should pop up then select "Get Info" another window should pop up... at the bottom of this window should be a little lock icon... If it is locked try to unlock it (You may require your System Administrator Password to do this. Once this is all done try clearing the trash again.
__________________
...Because its a Mac!
Unibody 15" MacBook Pro MY2008, 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD
iPhone 5, 64GB | iPad 3 64GB WiFi only | Airport Extreme | Airport Express
Jon-Luke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-Luke View Post
The "Item" you are attempting to delete may be locked...

Try to right click the item "Apple/CMD" click - A window should pop up then select "Get Info" another window should pop up... at the bottom of this window should be a little lock icon... If it is locked try to unlock it (You may require your System Administrator Password to do this. Once this is all done try clearing the trash again.
If you're referring to the padlock icon at the bottom of the "Get Info" screen, that only gives you access to the Sharing & Permissions settings.
Name:  Picture 1.jpg
Views: 3017
Size:  20.1 KB
That icon does not indicate that a file is locked, and it's not the way to unlock a locked file. If all you do is click the icon and enter your admin password, you have accomplished nothing.

For the OP: You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash

Last edited by GGJstudios; Dec 16, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:17 AM   #4
xlii
macrumors 68000
 
xlii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millis, Massachusetts
I recently had a file that I couldn't delete by using the trash. I tried to unlock it but it wasn't locked. What i did was drag it to the desktop top make it easier to find and started a utility called terminal. This brings up the unix terminal window. in that window cd to the desktop and type rm filename. That deleted the file that the trash couldn't. If you want to know what rm does type man rm in the terminal window.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:24 AM   #5
nick9191
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Britain
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post
I recently had a file that I couldn't delete by using the trash. I tried to unlock it but it wasn't locked. What i did was drag it to the desktop top make it easier to find and started a utility called terminal. This brings up the unix terminal window. in that window cd to the desktop and type rm filename. That deleted the file that the trash couldn't. If you want to know what rm does type man rm in the terminal window.
And if that fails, rm -f
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:44 AM   #6
mediocrefuzz
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
I can't access its info, doing the right click and clicking 'get info' doesn't work, nothing works when right clicking, the item is already on the desktop and I can't even drag it to a finder window like music or anything.
mediocrefuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:46 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefuzz View Post
I can't access its info, doing the right click and clicking 'get info' doesn't work, nothing works when right clicking, the item is already on the desktop and I can't even drag it to a finder window like music or anything.
Open a Finder window and access the file on your desktop in the Finder window.
Click once on the icon and then press Command+I to access "Get Info".
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trash Bypass to Permanently Delete File? Jakerz Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 1 Oct 28, 2011 07:35 PM
I cant move files to trash, or delete them in any way Decoroso OS X 7 Apr 3, 2011 04:06 PM
How do I make iTunes move files to trash when deleted? idonotliketostu Mac Basics and Help 0 Nov 8, 2010 09:12 AM
Emptying trash and keep getting cannot delete file in use message? SurferMan MacBook Pro 2 Jun 25, 2010 12:48 AM
Cannot delete file from trash bin?? drakeshipway Mac Basics and Help 2 Apr 10, 2009 12:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC