Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toffolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Manchester, UK
Hi,

A friend of mine has a MacBookPro 17" running OSX 10.5.8 with the following specs:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.16f11

Occasionally she comes back from meetings to find that her keyboard and mouse have totally locked up (totally unresponsive). This only happens when the MacBookPro has entered sleep mode.

The quick-fix is to unplug the USB mouse, then plug it back in again; the keyboard and mouse then start working again.

Unfortunately if there is no USB mouse plugged-in when the problem occurs, the only way to get it working again is to pull the power & the battery out! (the power button also becomes totally unresponsive).

So - has anybody else experienced this problem / know of a fix? (other than disabling sleep mode).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Al.

Toffolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Manchester, UK
Thanks kindly for your reply, sorry it's taken so long to respond.

I will look-up how to reset the PRAM and SMC. Does that wipe any data or settings?

My friend has also reported that sometimes the keyboard won't register a key-press until she presses an alternative key (no key in particular gets stuck - it's random).

She has applied all of the latest firmware updates available for her machine.
I suspect this is a related problem and not a hardware fault.

I will try your earlier suggestions and will report back.

Al.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.