Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Pastebot' Brings Elegant Copy-and-Paste to the iPhone

Tapbots, the development team behind the popular Weightbot and Convertbot iPhone applications, has released its third application, Pastebot [App Store, $1.99]. Pastebot is an elegant and powerful copy-and-paste tool that offers tools for image and text manipulation, as well as syncing with local Macs via a free preference pane download.
Quote:
- Save, organize, and edit text & image clippings with ease.
- Search capabilities and folders for organization.
- Apply text & image filters like "find & replace" on text or convert an image to black & white. 14 filters total with more on the way.
- Create new text clippings within the app.
- Create a new image clipping from your iPhone camera or import from your photo library.
- Useful metadata like image dimensions, character/word count and creation date.
- Copy items back to the iPhone/iPod clipboard with 1 tap.
- Send clippings as emails within the app or save images back to your photo library.
- Push text and images from your Mac to Pastebot instantly over wifi**
- Paste text and images to your Mac from your iPhone or iPod Touch instantly over wifi**
Tapbots has also put together a demonstrating Pastebot's numerous built-in features, as well as those integrated features utilizing the Mac-based Pastebot Sync companion application.

Article Link: 'Pastebot' Brings Elegant Copy-and-Paste to the iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:16 PM   #2
tuhoops
macrumors member

Looks good. I'll give it a try...
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:21 PM   #3
NT1440
macrumors G3

A few cool features, but elegant? I don't think so, not in my book anyway. I thought Apple's implementation of copy/paste is by far the most intuitive and elegant I've seen on a phone. Seriously, and I'm not joking, even my grandma was able to understand it after I showed her only once. This woman still hasn't mastered the "recall/flashback/previous channel" button on her oversized remote, yet has no problem understanding copy/paste. Kinda tells you something....
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:45 PM   #4
sigalert
macrumors newbie

It's much more than copy/paste. It's an ultra fast, convenient way to sync bits of information from your Mac to your iPhone over wifi. If the app is open on your iPhone, anything you copy on your Mac automatically appears on your iPhone. Text or image.

That's cool!
sigalert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:51 PM   #5
ggbrown
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
A few cool features, but elegant? I don't think so, not in my book anyway. I thought Apple's implementation of copy/paste is by far the most intuitive and elegant I've seen on a phone. Seriously, and I'm not joking, even my grandma was able to understand it after I showed her only once. This woman still hasn't mastered the "recall/flashback/previous channel" button on her oversized remote, yet has no problem understanding copy/paste. Kinda tells you something....
Tapbot does make elegant applications, which is likely what the OP was referring to. Pastebot clearly employed the same design strategies in Tapbot.

I also don't think they're replacing Apple's Copy/Paste functionality, but rather extending and enhancing it.
ggbrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:19 PM   #6
toneloco2881
macrumors 6502

This app looks pretty sweet! If it had the ability to import/sync more than just images and text (e.g., pdf files, .doc, etc'), it would be an instant purchase for me. That would perhaps take it from the realm of a simple, but elegant, clipboard type of app, to more of a mini finder. Perhaps that is not the direction the developers wished to go in, but for my needs it would be infinitely more useful. As is however, it is extremely well designed, and I may purchase it anyways. It's interface and simplicity seems like something Apple would have designed.
toneloco2881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

Huh, looks pretty neat, but I don't know how much I would really use it.

Kind of reminds me of the iClip widget. But also, I rarely use that.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Detlev
macrumors 6502a

What is that iPhone stand they are using? I want it. It looks sturdy. It'll look good on my desk too.
Detlev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Shoesy
macrumors 6502a

Reported as Spam. NO SELLING. I'm not even kidding - how do you get to sponsor a news item like this?
Shoesy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:34 PM   #10
*LTD*
Banned

Just take a screenshot with your iPhone (hold down Power and Home buttons.) Then do whatever you want with it from your camera roll. No need to sync with your Mac, just e-mail it to the person (or yourself), upload it to MobileMe, send via MMS, etc. And if you've downloaded PhoneView then you can pull everything off your iPhone, SMS messages, contacts, pics, everything.

If you're on a website and you only want a specific part of it, just zoom in on it and take a screenshot. I know, it's obvious, but it can be quite useful.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Pastebot is nice, but it's rather redundant. Unless you want to save a series of clickable links or organize clippings into folders. Granted, editing images (and copied text) is nice, too.

Last edited by *LTD*; Dec 16, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:48 PM   #11
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoesy View Post
Reported as Spam. NO SELLING. I'm not even kidding - how do you get to sponsor a news item like this?
You reported an official MR bot post? Really?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:09 PM   #12
Artofilm
macrumors 6502a

Just bought this, it's awesome!
Supercool how you can sync your computer with it and copy stuff right from a Mac. Makes copying links, directions and images super easy!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:12 PM   #13
malohkan
macrumors member

I'm constantly emailing myself notes, addresses, phone numbers, and web links to myself with the only intention of pulling it up on my iPhone, using it, and discarding it. It's quite a hassle. This sounds like a perfect solution of immediately moving that short burst of data exactly where I want it: the clipboard!
malohkan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:24 PM   #14
Artofilm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by malohkan View Post
I'm constantly emailing myself notes, addresses, phone numbers, and web links to myself with the only intention of pulling it up on my iPhone, using it, and discarding it. It's quite a hassle. This sounds like a perfect solution of immediately moving that short burst of data exactly where I want it: the clipboard!
Yah exactly, I do the same things!
I think one of the coolest features is being able to copy images from your computer to your iPhone and being able to paste from the app to your computer!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Shoesy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefirst View Post
You reported an official MR bot post? Really?
No. Not really.
Shoesy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:42 PM   #16
Rojo
macrumors 65816

I really love the TapBot guys, and love the look and feel they give their apps!

That said, this app looks very well done, but I can't find much use for this app myself. The only thing that might be useful is if you could keep copying stuff (in other apps) without having to go into Pastebot each time. From the video, it looks like once you copy something, you have to go into Pastebot immediately and confirm it. (Unless I'm wrong). It would be great if you could just keep copying things in other apps, and then go into Pastebot whenever you were finally ready and ALL of the things you copied while in other apps would all be there. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, I might actually consider buying this.
Rojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:50 PM   #17
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I was working on a similar app but with less functionality. The app I was working on would sync things you copy and put them on your mac. Oh well.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:05 PM   #18
Himpressive
macrumors newbie

Just wondering....

Erm....Can I not already do these with Evernote?
Well,most of it anyway...
Himpressive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:07 PM   #19
jedijoe
macrumors 6502

i like the dock/mount they had the iPhone mounted to when it was connected to the computer. Anyone know the details of that dock?
The World in 35mm
jedijoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:29 PM   #20
modul8tr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijoe View Post
i like the dock/mount they had the iPhone mounted to when it was connected to the computer. Anyone know the details of that dock?
Looks like this: http://macsense.com/

There's also this (Steve Jobs animation is kinda funny) :http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/iclooly-iphon...item3ca7e6fae5
modul8tr is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:55 PM   #21
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by modul8tr View Post
Looks like this: http://macsense.com/

There's also this (Steve Jobs animation is kinda funny) :http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/iclooly-iphon...item3ca7e6fae5
Cool, the ebay one looks pretty nice.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:58 PM   #22
optophobia
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to optophobia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himpressive View Post
Erm....Can I not already do these with Evernote?
Well,most of it anyway...
WHAT ? An application released on the appstore which another application already does ? That is just UNHEARD of !!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:41 PM   #23
anjinha
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Just take a screenshot with your iPhone (hold down Power and Home buttons.) Then do whatever you want with it from your camera roll. No need to sync with your Mac, just e-mail it to the person (or yourself), upload it to MobileMe, send via MMS, etc. And if you've downloaded PhoneView then you can pull everything off your iPhone, SMS messages, contacts, pics, everything.
All of those options take a lot longer than Pastebot's implementation.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:10 PM   #24
LeoNobilis
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to LeoNobilis Send a message via Skype™ to LeoNobilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Apple's Copy/Paste implementation is excellent, no doubt. But what isn't elegant in a program interface designed by some of the best GUI masters among tens of thousands of iphone application developers?

An excellent application, indeed: very, very beautiful, very capable (it even contains text conversion, etc. actions; a remote clipboard, etc!), very useful! Give it a try, mate!

PS: You haven't acquired the iPhone for your grandmother, have you? That's not exactly the thing for grandmothers…

Last edited by LeoNobilis; Dec 16, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
LeoNobilis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:16 PM   #25
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNobilis View Post
Apple's Copy/Paste implementation is excellent, no doubt. But what isn't elegant in a program interface designed by some of the best GUI masters among tens of thousands of iphone application developers?
I guess im just not a fan of that style, its off putting to me. I don't like flashy interfaces, I feel a good interface is one that you don't even notice.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion