Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
VirtualBox beats Parallels and VMWare

I had Parallels 5, to run the odd extra OS for giggles and sometimes practical reasons. At work they have VMWare for the odd XP program. Eventually, they both annoyed me with their bloated nature.

I dunno about you guys but I downloaded VirtualBox, and I am very impressed with it to say it's free. With Parallels, running Windows XP with 1GB of ram, my fans would blow franticly. The same on VirtualBox, and everything is smooth, it is so lightweight, has all the features and supports OS's a lot more than Parallels and VMWare.

What do you think? Was it a mistake me buying Parallels 5?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:58 PM   #2
nutsnbolts
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
I had Parallels 5, to run the odd extra OS for giggles and sometimes practical reasons. At work they have VMWare for the odd XP program. Eventually, they both annoyed me with their bloated nature.

I dunno about you guys but I downloaded VirtualBox, and I am very impressed with it to say it's free. With Parallels, running Windows XP with 1GB of ram, my fans would blow franticly. The same on VirtualBox, and everything is smooth, it is so lightweight, has all the features and supports OS's a lot more than Parallels and VMWare.

What do you think? Was it a mistake me buying Parallels 5?
I'd like to hear about this. I haven't had a chance to load Windows OS on either bootcamp or any of the virtual applications (VMWare/Parallels/etc.). It's not like I really had the need to although I'm still porting Windows applications over to MAC.
nutsnbolts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Keleko
macrumors 68000

VirtualBox doesn't support Aero if you ever install Windows 7. I use VMWare Fusion on my Mac and VirtualBox on my work PC. VMWare doesn't cause my fans to go crazy unless I'm actually doing something cpu intensive in the VM.
Keleko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

The only problem that I have with Virtual Box is that you can't use the partition that you have Windows on as the virtual machine. It has to create a virtual drive to install the OS on. If you're like me, and have a Bootcamp partition for gaming and a few business apps; you can't use that for both with Virtual Box. With Virtual Box you'd have to have two different installs, one for the OS with the business apps (running on a virtual partition) and then a Bootcamp partition. This means you're using up twice the amount of space for the OS, and on a laptop, that could be a lot of space. Also licensing of Windows can be an issue because you're not actually running the same partition, now you are running two separate copies.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:49 PM   #5
mongrol
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
The only problem that I have with Virtual Box is that you can't use the partition that you have Windows on as the virtual machine. It has to create a virtual drive to install the OS on.
Yes it can. Read the advanced section of the manual. There are vboxmanage commands to import your bootcamp partition.
mongrol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Bill Gates
macrumors 68020

I have had no issues with so-called "bloat" with VMware Fusion. Fusion 3.0.0 was not as fast as previous versions, but came darn close when OS X 10.6.2 was released. Fusion 3.0.1 has been a game-changer for me. It resumes FAST and Aero performance under Windows 7 is superb. All the big modern OS's are supported under Fusion so I don't know what you found that was better supported under VirtualBox. Linux, BSD, OS X server, and most versions of Windows are all fully supported under Fusion 3, and 2 for that matter.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:58 PM   #7
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrol View Post
Yes it can. Read the advanced section of the manual. There are vboxmanage commands to import your bootcamp partition.
Last time I checked it specifically said it couldn't. Maybe updated since then.... I'll look into it again.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:20 PM   #8
maflynn

I find the seamless integration that vmware offers is superior to virtualbox (no need to hit a key-combo to give the host OS keyboard/mouse focus, plus its performance is better then VB and the support is better.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:51 AM   #9
matterial
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrol View Post
Can you explain or point me to the instructions. I have seen multiple people claim this can be done, and they say see the advanced section...but I do not see where it says this can be done either.

A step by step write up would be nice. Or at least a section number of the manual that will direct me.

Thanks
matterial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:29 PM   #10
MacUser2525
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterial View Post
Can you explain or point me to the instructions. I have seen multiple people claim this can be done, and they say see the advanced section...but I do not see where it says this can be done either.

A step by step write up would be nice. Or at least a section number of the manual that will direct me.

Thanks
First hit seems to have some relevant information...

http://www.google.ca/search?q=virtua...ient=firefox-a
MacUser2525 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store