Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArchRedRaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Lubbock, TX
I have come across this "bands" folder that contains just a little over 12,000 files/106GB with just a few numbers and letters as names and if I open one of them it appears to be coded text.

Can I delete any of this? Or what are these files? Im trying to free up some space on my HD and this would be a nice chunk...

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I have come across this "bands" folder that contains just a little over 12,000 files/106GB with just a few numbers and letters as names and if I open one of them it appears to be coded text.

Can I delete any of this? Im trying to free up some space on my HD and this would be a nice chunk...

What is the full path? Seems like it could be iTunes content.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Are you encrypting your home directory using FileVault? I'm almost positive that's what it is. In which case, it would be a bad idea to delete any (if you even could without some terminal knowledge).

ArchRedRaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Lubbock, TX
Yes I am using FileVault... Would turning it off free the 106gb up? I would test that theory out but I can't even do that because it wants 51gb to turn it off and I only have 46gb available, grant it I could possibly free up enough space.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
That 106Gb is actually all of your stuff in the home directory, just encrypted and in a strange format. You wouldn't gain any space in the end whether you turned it on or off. Randomfile.pages is just encrypted and stuck in some "asd" band. Sorry if this description doesn't make any sense. If you need to gain space, try deleting your unneeded content.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more problems.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If you haven't rebooted or logged off in a while you should do that. FileVault will reclaim unused space at logoff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.