Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
skir0987
macrumors regular

iBook G4 Screen Removal (NOT Replacement!)

I have an old iBook G4 14" (from about 2004 or 2005) that was just replaced by a MacBook. The hinge on the screen is pretty much broken and the screen looks pretty terrible. I'm thinking about installing a distro of Linux on it and using it as a file server or media server and connecting it to an external display, but I would like to have the keyboard and mouse readily available and would not like to have issues with overheating because the lid is closed. Is there a way I can completely remove the screen (including the hinge) and have it still be functional?
skir0987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
l.a.rossmann
macrumors 6502a

Yes, but the process of taking this machine apart is one that will make you miserable. It is as if Apple designed it with the sole intention of angering people who service the machine. It's the Neve VRP console of laptops. You've been warned.
l.a.rossmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:15 PM   #3
skir0987
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.a.rossmann View Post
Yes, but the process of taking this machine apart is one that will make you miserable. It is as if Apple designed it with the sole intention of angering people who service the machine. It's the Neve VRP console of laptops. You've been warned.
Haha, Thanks for the warning. I'm willing to take it on anyways... I've got two weeks off from school, and it would be a good project

So are you sure it'll work with no display? I found this thread: http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...p/t-41615.html
in which the iBook is not functional... perhaps I'll just test it out and reconnect the display if it doesn't work.
skir0987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:04 AM   #4
l.a.rossmann
macrumors 6502a

keep the screen attached and adhese it to the bottom of the computer or something.
l.a.rossmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
4JNA
macrumors 68000

mini with built in keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skir0987 View Post
...are you sure it'll work with no display?
works fine. i've done this with several for myself (933 -> 1.42) and a few for customers.

only thing to add would be noting that the airport antenna wires are part of the display, so if you plan to use wireless, you need to leave them hanging out the back, tape them on the back, or whatever. if you don't need wireless, you can remove them as well.

other than that, take the display cable off from the top (lower left/top side) and the power for the inverter off of the back (middle/bottom side), remove the hinge assembly, replace the 30 billion screws and miles of yellow sticky tape along with the form fitting plastic and presto, desktop. best of luck.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs