Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skir0987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
I have an old iBook G4 14" (from about 2004 or 2005) that was just replaced by a MacBook. The hinge on the screen is pretty much broken and the screen looks pretty terrible. I'm thinking about installing a distro of Linux on it and using it as a file server or media server and connecting it to an external display, but I would like to have the keyboard and mouse readily available and would not like to have issues with overheating because the lid is closed. Is there a way I can completely remove the screen (including the hinge) and have it still be functional?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Yes, but the process of taking this machine apart is one that will make you miserable. It is as if Apple designed it with the sole intention of angering people who service the machine. It's the Neve VRP console of laptops. You've been warned. :)

skir0987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Yes, but the process of taking this machine apart is one that will make you miserable. It is as if Apple designed it with the sole intention of angering people who service the machine. It's the Neve VRP console of laptops. You've been warned. :)

Haha, Thanks for the warning. I'm willing to take it on anyways... I've got two weeks off from school, and it would be a good project :D

So are you sure it'll work with no display? I found this thread: http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-41615.html
in which the iBook is not functional... perhaps I'll just test it out and reconnect the display if it doesn't work.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
mini with built in keyboard!

...are you sure it'll work with no display?

works fine. i've done this with several for myself (933 -> 1.42) and a few for customers.

only thing to add would be noting that the airport antenna wires are part of the display, so if you plan to use wireless, you need to leave them hanging out the back, tape them on the back, or whatever. if you don't need wireless, you can remove them as well.

other than that, take the display cable off from the top (lower left/top side) and the power for the inverter off of the back (middle/bottom side), remove the hinge assembly, replace the 30 billion screws and miles of yellow sticky tape along with the form fitting plastic and presto, desktop. best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.