Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
megapopular
macrumors 6502a

Fake Location

10 day trial on Rock App... finally! It opens Google Maps and allows you to fake a location for a specific app. NO MORE BLACKOUTS for MLB or NBA apps!! Now we can watch sports that we want to no matter what state you're in! Anybody besides me download this? It just came out today.
megapopular is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:35 AM   #2
kAoTiX
macrumors 6502

I have it, used it with google maps and it appears to work. Don't really see much use for it though to be honest.

I thought websites that check where you live (such as hulu) used your IP and not any kind of GPS data so this app wouldn't apply to such websites. I'd imagine it would be the same for the apps you spoke of.
Did you actually try it?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:58 AM   #3
megapopular
macrumors 6502a

Yes, I've used it!

I used it... People who have MLB app or NBA app can be blocked from watching some games due to blackout rules. I'm in NY and couldn't watch NY Knicks basketball games... Live or replay... The Fake Location app works just like 3G unrestrictor where you select which apps you want it to work with, so for the NBA app, I chose to fake my location in Texas. Once that was done I was able to watch both live games and replays of NY Knicks games. I suppose you could trick location sharing apps to show you were in a different area, too. I'll do more testing with it today and will post it on here.
megapopular is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:27 AM   #4
kAoTiX
macrumors 6502

Would be funny for google latitude to say you're right next to a friend and scare them when they think you're close by but they can't see you anywhere.
I can't honestly think of any other location based apps but I guess there must be some.

I also tried with TomTom but I couldn't get a GPS signal, didn't try very hard so it might still work. Surely the position would be static though.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Wow, that's a cool feature to have if you use the MLB or NBA and other similar apps with location blackouts.
Thanks for letting us know.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:01 PM   #6
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

I might actually get MLB next season if this really works. I thought it was pointless that I couldnt see my team when i was out of my house. I dont really watch any other teams until the playoffs roll around. Now Football is a different story, I can watch any football game so an NFL live app would rock
bigjnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Cortezbanks
macrumors 6502

I have league pass and faked my location in Alaska and now no games are blacked out
Cortezbanks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortezbanks View Post
I have league pass and faked my location in Alaska and now no games are blacked out
Nice
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:14 AM   #9
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

You don't need this app if you're going to use it with NBA League Pass. There's a deb file you can install using iFile which can fake your ZIP code, removing the blackout. There's a video tutorial on YouTube.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:46 AM   #10
teaman27
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Map not working FakeLocation app

I installed the app, but the map shows up all blue and I cannot see where I am moving the pointer to select the fake location. Any ideas?
teaman27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:22 PM   #11
salar101
macrumors newbie

you know the familymap thingy that AT&T has? do you think it would work with that?
salar101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:42 PM   #12
TaylorJ
macrumors regular

There are still national blackouts. Which happens almost every day. Even with fake location NBA league pass has national blackouts. You cant say no games are blacked out. You can only bypass the local restrictions since the app thinks your in ex. texas or whatever, but you cant bypass national blackouts.
TaylorJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:31 AM   #13
Nrwrit3r
macrumors 6502a

Yup I love it haha
Nrwrit3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:46 AM   #14
jackrwx
macrumors newbie

I have used FakeLocation and LocationHolic. I think LocationHolic is much more easy to use. LocationHolic can be installed from Cydia.
jackrwx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:44 AM   #15
jackrwx
macrumors newbie

Here is it's homepage: http://www.locationholic.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrwx View Post
I have used FakeLocation and LocationHolic. I think LocationHolic is much more easy to use. LocationHolic can be installed from Cydia.
jackrwx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks