Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
top pic is HD 720p full screen grab on imac gi7 27", bottom is same pic using 1080p source http://grab.by/18p5 (still from Avatar trailer)

the 720p gave a file size of 2.9mb and the 1080p gave a size of 3.1mb. The pics are very slightly out of sync but I think you can plainly see the difference of 1080p over 720p. It puts to bed the myth (or does it?) that you can't see the difference between the 2 formats on anything below a 50" screen. The better than HD imac monitor is quite simply stunning!

PS - I know this forum is for gripes/problems (sort of) but I'm just blown away with this imac - here's why..... http://grab.by/1fik

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
its the not size of the monitor that dictates whether or not you can notice the difference... its how close you are viewing the screen. That said, at normal desk viewing distance, it is clearly noticeable how much better 1080P is

janush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I've got into the habit of downloading 720p and 1080p trailers and comparing - there is quite a difference, but I would have to say that watching on the imac versus an HDTV I was quite surprised to see that the imac viewing was just so much better - whatever you're watching just overwhelms you - but, then again - it's not all that sociable.

rs14smith

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
Yeah I have to agree I notice a HUGE difference from watching movies on a regular LCD screen and watching something on my LED iMac 27". :eek:

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Well, I'm not blind, so I can clearly tell there is a difference.
It's mostly in detail.
1080p looks like it has a lot more contrast and detail, while 720p is more pixelated.

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Of course there is a difference. The 720p trailer has to be scaled up more than a 1080p trailer has too.

agr5

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
I have been trying to figure this out the last couple of days, maybe you guys can help me out.

I know there are LCD, LED Backlit LCD, and True LED: What are the 27" screens?

My buddy keeps telling me there are NO True LED screens out on the market and I am not sure. Anyone know??

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I have been trying to figure this out the last couple of days, maybe you guys can help me out.

I know there are LCD, LED Backlit LCD, and True LED: What are the 27" screens?

My buddy keeps telling me there are NO True LED screens out on the market and I am not sure. Anyone know??

As far as I know, there has only been one LED display released so far and it was made by Sony. It was like 11" or something, and was a TV, not a computer monitor.

EDIT: Here's a pic of it:
sony-organic-led-tv_1.jpg

giannisk

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Greece
As far as I know, there has only been one LED display released so far and it was made by Sony. It was like 11" or something, and was a TV, not a computer monitor.

EDIT: Here's a pic of it:
sony-organic-led-tv_1.jpg

This is an OLED screen made by Sony which is todays larger OLED screen ever made.

Apple's screens are LED backlit LCD's

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
This is an OLED screen made by Sony which is todays larger OLED screen ever made.

Apple's screens are LED backlit LCD's

Samsung got in trouble for pushing their LED backlit LCD TV's as LED TV's in Europe. The whole thing is very confusing for the layman. OLED TV's are a huge step forward in picture quality, LED backlit LCD's are pretty much identical to Flouresent backlit LCD's except they are sometimes brighter and don't require any warmup time.

giannisk

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Greece
Janush,
what others said is true. Mainly what you see is depending on the distance you are from the screen.

But in this comparison you are wrong. What difference you may see are differences in conversion to 720p or 1080p. They clearly have difference in contrast, white balance.

Personally, i prefer the first screen. There is visible more detail but loses some from colour. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.