Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:31 PM   #1
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
5 computer updates coming soon?

I found this in 10.3.5. Which I posted in another thread.

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Content/Info.plist

<key>IOPlatformPluginTable</key>
<dict>
<key>PowerBook7,1</key>
<string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>PowerBook7,2</key>
<string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>PowerMac7,2</key>
<string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>PowerMac7,3</key>
<string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>PowerMac8,1</key>
<string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>PowerMac9,1</key>
<string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>RackMac3,1</key>
<string>RackMac3_1_PlatformPlugin</string>

Powermac 7,3 and Powermac 9,1

Powerbook 7,1 and 7,2

Macrack 3,1

If these are already existing computers please let me now. I did a search through mactracker and found no numbers relating to these.
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:06 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5
 
Sun Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index....bpage=newworld

PowerMac7,2 Power Macintosh G5
PowerMac7,3 Power Macintosh G5 (June 2004)

PowerMac8,1 iMac Generation 3 G5 (September 2004) U3-Lite Chipset

PowerMac9,1 New PowerMac Chipset -- DDR2, PCI-Express, etc. possible

PowerBook7,x New PowerBook and/or iBooks

RackMac3,1 Xserve G5 & Xserve G5 (Cluster Node)
__________________
On the seat back in front of you, you will find a “Panic Button”
If you press this button, we will ignore you, and work on saving the passengers who can calmly follow directions.

Last edited by Sun Baked; Aug 9, 2004 at 11:09 PM.
Sun Baked is offline   0
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:10 PM   #3
quagmire
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Baked
http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index....bpage=newworld

PowerMac7,2 Power Macintosh G5
PowerMac7,3 Power Macintosh G5 (June 2004)

PowerMac8,1 iMac Generation 3 G5 (September 2004)

PowerMac9,1 New PowerMac

PowerMac7,x New PowerBook and/or iBooks

RackMac3,1 Xserve G5 & Xserve G5 (Cluster Node)

Thanks for the link. So there is 3 unknown computers coming. Those 2 powerbooks(7,1 and 7,2) and that lonely Powermac 9,1.
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 01:06 AM   #4
comictimes
macrumors 6502a
 
comictimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Berkeley, California
hmm.. that's awesome that there are new computers coming out, and cool that you found it.... but I have to ask. How and why on earth did you find some obscure file like that??
__________________
Macbook Pro 2.53ghz late 2008, running OSX 10.5.5
comictimes is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 01:28 AM   #5
Abstract
macrumors Penryn
 
Abstract's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Location Location
Well they're always going to make new computers. Maybe they're preparing 10.3.5 to account for these new machines in case they come out before Tiger.

Okay, I'll admit it. I really have no clue...
__________________
"Hard? It's supposed to be hard. Hard is what makes it great!" - Tom Hanks.
Abstract is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:11 AM   #6
dongmin
macrumors 68000
 
dongmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
I found this in 10.3.5. Which I posted in another thread.

Powermac 7,3 and Powermac 9,1

Powerbook 7,1 and 7,2

Macrack 3,1

If these are already existing computers please let me now. I did a search through mactracker and found no numbers relating to these.
Good find.

The big news is that the next update of the PowerBooks will come with a new chipset!!! G5 here we come! Or a new G4, perhaps the Freescale e600. Exciting. The iBooks and PowerBooks are due for an update in Oct/Nov. From the look of the numbers, the 15" and 17" PBs will get new chipsets (5x --> 15"/17" PBs; 6x --> 12"PB/iBook) but not the 12". Makes sense.

What is this mysterious 9,1? And when is it coming out?
dongmin is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:51 AM   #7
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
I've been expecting the new PowerBooks to use the e600. This seems to be further confirmation
Nermal is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 04:06 AM   #8
Zaty
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Switzerland
Send a message via AIM to Zaty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
Well they're always going to make new computers. Maybe they're preparing 10.3.5 to account for these new machines in case they come out before Tiger.

Okay, I'll admit it. I really have no clue...
Possible, but I'm sure we'll see at least one more update to Panther (10.3.6) before Tiger arrives. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 10.3.7 as well. Don't forget, Tiger could still be 10 months away, so we'll see quite a few new Macs before Tiger.
__________________
17" iMac Core Duo / 2 GB RAM
Zaty is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 04:22 AM   #9
Squire
macrumors 68000
 
Squire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongmin
Good find.

The big news is that the next update of the PowerBooks will come with a new chipset!!! G5 here we come! Or a new G4, perhaps the Freescale e600. Exciting. The iBooks and PowerBooks are due for an update in Oct/Nov. From the look of the numbers, the 15" and 17" PBs will get new chipsets (5x --> 15"/17" PBs; 6x --> 12"PB/iBook) but not the 12". Makes sense.

What is this mysterious 9,1? And when is it coming out?
Could you please explain how you know (or expect) the new Powerbooks to have different chips? This just might be good news for me. I cancelled my Powerbook order yesterday (shipping delays) and decided to wait for the next revision.

Squire
__________________
"Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer." - Oscar Wilde
Squire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:10 AM   #10
iNetwork
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Mexico
Send a message via ICQ to iNetwork Send a message via AIM to iNetwork
Great Find

Bump to the code junkie! woop woop
iNetwork is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:19 AM   #11
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Antwerp-Belgium
maybe PCI-X 2.0 & PCI-Express on G5

(but I think it silly they didn't add them to the RevB's... but apple does some silly stuff... like waiting for the RevB 12"Pb to add DVI & USB2.0... but it boosts sales I guess??)

when will they add solid state harddrives to their PowerBooks... no moving parts, faster... silent...

they would be the first to do that... and I think its cool...

J
__________________
G5 2x1.8Ghz,CrapBook CoreDuo,Macmini 1.5G4;iPod 3g 30GB,Shuffle 1GB,Nano 8GB;iPod Touch 2nd gen 8GB; iPad 16GB;AirPort Extreme-Nhttp://www.jovdm.be
Jo-Kun is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:58 AM   #12
Squire
macrumors 68000
 
Squire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Kun
maybe PCI-X 2.0 & PCI-Express on G5

(but I think it silly they didn't add them to the RevB's... but apple does some silly stuff... like waiting for the RevB 12"Pb to add DVI & USB2.0... but it boosts sales I guess??)
A lot of marketing I suppose. Sometimes it really sucks. Well, one of the reasons I had my heart set on the current 12" PB is because it truly is worthy of the Powerbook badge. (Others complained that the Rev. A 12-inchers were just aluminum iBooks.) I hope they don't pull a bunch of that marketing crap for the next batch, but they probably will. I suspect the 12" models and the combo-drive 15" model to just get a bump to 1.5 GHz if the top two models go with a new chip (be it G5 or e600).

Speaking of which, what does an e600 top out at anyway? If they make their way into the 'books, what processor speeds can we expect and how do they compare with G4 clock speeds? Damn, where's thatwendigo when you need him?

Squire
__________________
"Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer." - Oscar Wilde
Squire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:14 AM   #13
Squire
macrumors 68000
 
Squire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Freescale's Offerings

Google is great, eh?

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...482_23,00.html

Next-Generation Performance Today: The e500 Core and Platform
Customers who require higher performance can step up to the e500 core and corresponding e500 platform, which power Freescale’s award-winning PowerQUICC III communications processors. Currently scaling up to 1 GHz, the high-performance e500 core is planned to exceed 1.5 GHz in next-generation process technologies. The e500 core delivers flexibility for application-specific optimizations and leverages application processing units (APUs) for instruction set extensions that are provided for by the PowerPC instruction set architecture. The e500 core is designed to be highly configurable and meet the specific needs of the embedded market, enabling flexible SoC platform solutions that provide an optimal balance of performance, advanced features and power consumption.

Delivering Higher Performance: The e600 and e700 Cores and Platforms
The next planned step in Freescale’s performance roadmap is the e600 core and corresponding e600 platform. An enhanced version of the high-performance G4 core used in the award-winning, high-performance MPC74xx family of PowerPC host processors, the e600 core is planned to scale beyond 2 GHz and to support chip multiprocessing (CMP) while maintaining full compatibility with the PowerPC instruction set architecture. Like its G4 predecessor, the superscalar e600 core is designed to issue four instructions per clock cycle (three instructions plus one branch) into eleven independent execution units, and to include a full 128-bit implementation of Freescale's advanced AltiVec Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD) vector processing technology.

Freescale Semiconductor also disclosed today at SNDF its plans to develop the next-generation 32/64-bit e700 PowerPC core and corresponding e700 platform. Processor products engineered around Freescale’s forthcoming e700 SoC platform are planned to be capable of running both 32-bit and 64-bit software and scaling to 3 GHz and beyond in next-generation process technologies.


Will these be in the new notebooks? It sure would be nice. I think I recall thatwendigo saying that they're pin-compatible with the current G4 chips, too. Hmmm...

Squire
__________________
"Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer." - Oscar Wilde
Squire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:17 AM   #14
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a
 
Belly-laughs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: location location
Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire
Speaking of which, what does an e600 top out at anyway? If they make their way into the 'books, what processor speeds can we expect and how do they compare with G4 clock speeds? Damn, where's thatwendigo when you need him?

Squire
I think someone told him off in a different thread... Check out
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...02VS0l72156402

There´s lot of info on their site, let´s just hope their plans materialise.
Belly-laughs is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:31 AM   #15
Squire
macrumors 68000
 
Squire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly-laughs
I think someone told him off in a different thread... Check out
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...02VS0l72156402

There´s lot of info on their site, let´s just hope their plans materialise.
I was just reading that page, too. It's basically the same thing but that chart is interesting. It sort of puts things in perspective.

Squire

<edit> So, their PPC roadmap was announced in April. How much progress could they make in 4 months?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPCCORES2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	15873  
__________________
"Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer." - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Squire; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:50 AM.
Squire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:04 AM   #16
quagmire
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
It is sad that I think freescale will be the hardest comapny to convince apple to put there stuff in it. I don't think they will be putting in new G4's in any rev d's pbooks(rev c for 15") G4's yet. Freescale still has some ties with moto. That could be what is holding apple back and making a deal with freescale. It is great though that they are planning a 2 Ghz G4 and a 3 Ghz G4 64 bit. But, I think unless they can dramaticly increase fsb on the new G4's( maybe to 500 Mhz) the G4's are pretty much dying and only a matter of time the G5's become cool enough to be in pbooks(sometime next year). I say(this is my opinion) freescale has a very short time to get these new G4's out and impress apple before the end of 2005. It could be even shortier time limit if the pbooks G5 are coming in January- WWDC.
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York

Last edited by quagmire; Aug 10, 2004 at 10:10 AM.
quagmire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:15 AM   #17
Squire
macrumors 68000
 
Squire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
It is sad that I think freescale will be the hardest comapny to convince apple to put there stuff in it. I don't think they will be making any rev d's pbooks(rev c for 15") G4's yet. Freescale still has some ties with moto and apple is possibly ignoring or taking a little interest with freescale knowing its past. It is great though that they are planning a 2 Ghz G4 and a 3 Ghz G4 64 bit. But, I think unless they can dramaticly increase fsb on the new G4's( maybe to 500 Mhz). I have no clue what is actually going on at apple. But, if knowing Jobs is being closed minded on the mac before, I think since Moto blew it Jobs is very close minded on them now. But, this is my opinion.
I know what you're saying but I think, for the exact reasons you stated, the chances of seeing Freescale's products in Macs are higher. I mean, Steve's ego is not a secret but we're seeing G4s in Macs now. Why? Well, because, despite the bitterness about Motorola's incompetence, there's no other alternative. So, Motorola spins off the semiconductor division and calls it Freescale. Jobs and co. can fire up a lawsuit aimed at Moto and, at the same time, place massive orders of their (err...Freescale's) great new offerings without losing face. Everybody wins.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Squire
__________________
"Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer." - Oscar Wilde
Squire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:32 AM   #18
quagmire
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire
I know what you're saying but I think, for the exact reasons you stated, the chances of seeing Freescale's products in Macs are higher. I mean, Steve's ego is not a secret but we're seeing G4s in Macs now. Why? Well, because, despite the bitterness about Motorola's incompetence, there's no other alternative. So, Motorola spins off the semiconductor division and calls it Freescale. Jobs and co. can fire up a lawsuit aimed at Moto and, at the same time, place massive orders of their (err...Freescale's) great new offerings without losing face. Everybody wins.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Squire
You replied when I was editing my post. But, to your reply. I would think Jobs is smarter then that. If he sue's moto and buys freescale chips, I am sure what ever moto lost in the lawsuit, they would gain back in the chips sold. I think Jobs see's that and instead after the transtion to G5's, he will not buy anymore chips from them.

Then again I also could be wrong.
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:53 AM   #19
Squire
macrumors 68000
 
Squire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
You replied when I was editing my post. But, to your reply. I would think Jobs is smarter then that. If he sue's moto and buys freescale chips, I am sure what ever moto lost in the lawsuit, they would gain back in the chips sold. I think Jobs see's that and instead after the transtion to G5's, he will not buy anymore chips from them.
I'm no expert on corporate law but Freescale is, as far as I know, a completely different entity. If Apple sued Moto, I think that would hurt their (Moto's) bottom line. Conversely, if Apple bought Freescale chips, that would boost theirs. Does anyone know anything about post-spinoff corporate relationships?

Legal matters aside, again, Apple might have no choice but to go with e600 chips. Or, they just may be the best option. Who knows? Then again, IBM could be madly working on a mobile version of the G5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
Thanks for the link. So there is 3 unknown computers coming. Those 2 powerbooks(7,1 and 7,2) and that lonely Powermac 9,1.
Back to the original matter, I wonder what the Powermac will be? Could it be the "Cube 2" Mac fans have been craving?

Squire
__________________
"Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer." - Oscar Wilde
Squire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:57 AM   #20
quagmire
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire
I'm no expert on corporate law but Freescale is, as far as I know, a completely different entity. If Apple sued Moto, I think that would hurt their (Moto's) bottom line. Conversely, if Apple bought Freescale chips, that would boost theirs. Does anyone know anything about post-spinoff corporate relationships?



Back to the original matter, I wonder what the Powermac will be? Could it be the "Cube 2" Mac fans have been craving?

Squire
Powermac 9,1 is 2 possibilties.

1. Powermac G6( really doubtfull)

2. a whole new computer line( big chance)
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:20 PM   #21
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a
 
Belly-laughs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: location location
Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
Powermac 9,1 is 2 possibilties.

1. Powermac G6( really doubtfull)

2. a whole new computer line( big chance)
Aaah! The return of the Cube. I´d love a new up-to-date Cube.
Belly-laughs is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:35 PM   #22
quagmire
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
What a 20th anniversery this would be is apple released all this stuff at Paris. We would have:

imac G5

15" and 17" powerbooks going G5

12" gets new G4 or gets killed

and a whole new computer( maybe a cube resurrection)
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 01:05 PM   #23
Sun Baked
macrumors G5
 
Sun Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
People start getting 2.0GHz PowerMac G5s with the PPC970FX this month and the 1.8GHz machine had momentary stall in shipping recently (maybe they'll make the switch to 90nm.)

So it finally looks like the problems with the 90nm process are worked out enough to get some of the 970FX PowerMacs out the door.

Good news for people actually wanting the iMac G5 soon.
__________________
On the seat back in front of you, you will find a “Panic Button”
If you press this button, we will ignore you, and work on saving the passengers who can calmly follow directions.

Last edited by Sun Baked; Aug 10, 2004 at 01:07 PM.
Sun Baked is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 01:36 PM   #24
AmigoMac
macrumors 68020
 
AmigoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: l'Allemagne
Wink Didn't I say it before?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
What a 20th anniversery this would be is apple released all this stuff at Paris. We would have:

imac G5

15" and 17" powerbooks going G5

12" gets new G4 or gets killed

and a whole new computer( maybe a cube resurrection)
You're right, the 12" as Powerbook will be history, we will see 13", 15" & 17" models, 12" & 14" will stay as iBooks, giving wide-screen format to the pro-line and 4:3 for the average joe... Do not forget me...
__________________
No Mac no fun...

Last edited by AmigoMac; Aug 10, 2004 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Avera joe in this post: iBook :)
AmigoMac is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:55 PM   #25
dongmin
macrumors 68000
 
dongmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire
Could you please explain how you know (or expect) the new Powerbooks to have different chips? This just might be good news for me. I cancelled my Powerbook order yesterday (shipping delays) and decided to wait for the next revision.

Squire
Just a bit of extrapolation. The move from PowerBook 3,x to 5,x resulted in an upgrade to the chipset (new bus, memory, etc.). I'd expect the same for the move to 7,x.

What degree of change is anybody's guess. It's possible that they'll keep the 7447 but upgrade the bus and memory somehow. But more likely--this is pure speculation on my part--the upgrade will be more dramatic. To a IBM 97x or Freescale e600.

For my money, I'm betting on a G5. Apple has practically confirmed that they are currently working on fitting the G5 into the PBs. Also see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3639825.stm
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...03185309.shtml

The freescale offerings sound nice but they haven't actually delivered on the e600 or e700. It's all vaporware until they actually ship something. (Yes, I'm aware that the e300 and e500 are shipping. But they've always been able to deliver on the low-power embedded stuff.)
dongmin is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updates just keep coming Soccer5se Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Oct 23, 2013 06:16 PM
Display Analysts See Retina iPad Mini Updates Coming in 3Q 2013 and 1Q 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 80 May 7, 2013 02:17 PM
How can I stop the updates coming? Ilfracombe Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Feb 21, 2013 11:50 AM
iPhone: Any other jailbreaks coming? Or major updates to Evasion? NovemberWhiskey Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 18 Feb 7, 2013 09:02 AM
Dedicated Computer for tv necessary with air play coming? Drew n macs Buying Tips and Advice 0 Jun 28, 2012 04:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC