Good Monitor for pro video and photo - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:58 PM   #1
mayer chalom
macrumors newbie

Good Monitor for pro video and photo

Hello. This will be my first post on the mac forums.
I do video edit professionally on my 8 core mac pro as well as stills. I have the original 20' apple cinema display, but I am looking for a higher res display and I really don''t want to spend that much dough as I am in the process of upgrading photo/video equipment.
I know the differences in quality between TN screens, and high quality IPS screens.
Would a 1920x1080 res suffice. I really don't want to spend more than 300 bucks. I know I may sound like an noob but please what are the cheapest highest quality/res for the price.
mayer chalom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:28 AM   #2
chiefroastbeef
macrumors 6502a

Personally I'd stick with the 20" ACD and save up until you get some cash to buy a better monitor. The HP LP2475 can be had for around $450, it is an ips. Or since you are editing video and photos, you should save up and look into a 30" screen. 30" is just magical...
Nikon D700
chiefroastbeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:38 AM   #3
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

For video you need an broadcast monitor fed via an I/O device like an Matrox MXO2 or a card from AJA or Blackmagic. Watching your FCP window on a computer monitor fed by your Mac's GFX card will be inaccurate for a number of different reasons.

Lethal
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:43 AM   #4
chiefroastbeef
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
For video you need an broadcast monitor fed via an I/O device like an Matrox MXO2 or a card from AJA or Blackmagic. Watching your FCP window on a computer monitor fed by your Mac's GFX card will be inaccurate for a number of different reasons.

Lethal
A Matrox itself would be a little over the $300 mark.
Nikon D700
chiefroastbeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:36 PM   #5
mayer chalom
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies

In my mac pro I already have a blackmagic intensity pro (el cheapo) video card connected to a 30' 720p sony (i don't have the model #) tv. It's no broadcast solution but it is nice for viewing a final product and I find it more accurate than the final cut viewer sometimes.
mayer chalom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals