Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I'm getting my 12 year old daughter an iPod Touch for Christmas. I'm trying to figure out the best way to manage purchases, but I'm not quite sure I understand my options.

My initial thought was to just use the iTunes account we already have set up and have her go through me or my wife to authorize any purchases (she doesn't know the password.) This is also good because my wife and daughter have a lot of shared tracks they listen to.

I'm also considering using the iTunes Allowance option. This could help her to learn how to use judgement in purchasing decisions (rather than just wanting to download everything all month.) But if I understand that correctly, I'd have to set her own Itunes account. I'm not as crazy about that option because (if I understand correctly), I'd end up having to buy duplicate tracks for her and my wife.

A perfect combination would be to be able to set up an allowance within our own family account. That would allow her to make purchases within a set amount each month =, but still access my wife's tracks and still give us the option to authorize other purchases.

Would this work? Or do you have to set up an allowance from one account to different one?

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I got all three of my kids iPod Nanos. We ended up just linking them to my iTunes account since it is the primary for all the music anyway.

I think authorizing purchases yourself is the best way to handle it. If your daughter already has a normal allowance, then any purchases can just come out of that. She could, in fact, buy iTunes gift cards with her normal allowance and then you use those for her purchases. That way she can't "cheat" on the amount, and you have a physical link to the amount spent on iTunes.

I'm getting my 12 year old daughter an iPod Touch for Christmas. I'm trying to figure out the best way to manage purchases, but I'm not quite sure I understand my options.

My initial thought was to just use the iTunes account we already have set up and have her go through me or my wife to authorize any purchases (she doesn't know the password.) This is also good because my wife and daughter have a lot of shared tracks they listen to.

I'm also considering using the iTunes Allowance option. This could help her to learn how to use judgement in purchasing decisions (rather than just wanting to download everything all month.) But if I understand that correctly, I'd have to set her own Itunes account. I'm not as crazy about that option because (if I understand correctly), I'd end up having to buy duplicate tracks for her and my wife.

A perfect combination would be to be able to set up an allowance within our own family account. That would allow her to make purchases within a set amount each month =, but still access my wife's tracks and still give us the option to authorize other purchases.

Would this work? Or do you have to set up an allowance from one account to different one?

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
She could, in fact, buy iTunes gift cards with her normal allowance and then you use those for her purchases. That way she can't "cheat" on the amount, and you have a physical link to the amount spent on iTunes.

This is a great idea. Keep her on your wife's account, since they share music anyway. But if she wants to buy any songs on her own, she'll have to do it with a gift card she buys herself. At the very least it creates a tangible link to what she's spending her money on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.