Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
laurenbeth
macrumors newbie

Iphone wont turn on or do anything-HELP!!!

Hi,
Last night I had just ended a call and then a couple mins later went to check the time and the phone was dead. I had more than half battery left, & I tried master reset all day long. I plugged it in for a couple hours and still nothing- does not show that its charging. My phone did get wet by water back in July- not bad I was just cautious so I left it in rice for days & its worked just fine ever since until now.

I took it to Genius Bar today & they said since the watermarks are pink there is nothing they can do, I would have to pay $199 to get a new one.

Could the battery just have gone bad like that?

Is there somewhere that fixes them?

Please help me, I am just sick over this especially right b4 Christmas.
Thanks for your help & time reading this,
Lauren

Last edited by laurenbeth; Dec 19, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
laurenbeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
labman
macrumors 604

well

what generation is it? also any ideas why it has pink watermarks and when it happened.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:06 PM   #3
laurenbeth
macrumors newbie

3gs

Its the 3gs 16gb and it dropped in my cup of water (not full) and immediately took it out, I had the otter box case on it (which is only water resistant) and this happened back in July. I got the phone in June.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:32 AM   #4
laurenbeth
macrumors newbie

HELP! Am I Screwed??

Does anyone have a suggeston?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:42 AM   #5
enoC
macrumors 6502

Tried a DFU-Mode? And Restore as new?
enoC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Um...your phone has water damage. You're lucky it worked as long as it did. Internal components have probably been rusting away ever since then. You will have to pay the $199 replacement fee.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:54 AM   #7
labman
macrumors 604

to late

should have left the phone alone put it in a bowl of rice for two three days the moisture is pulled out by the rice. others have had luck with a hair dryer. this is before damage is done after the fact $199 sorry! but pay $199 get your new phone and put the water damaged phone as is on ebay honestly you will still probably get most if not all your money back!

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPhone-3GS-16-GB...item3efb427cbb

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-month-old-wate...item19b896bbc4

Last edited by labman; Dec 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
labman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:23 PM   #8
laurenbeth
macrumors newbie

hmmm

Well tried the DFU-mode & wont recognize the phone... So if I put it on ebay, how do I get all my personal info off of it?
Thanks guys
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:37 PM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenbeth View Post
Well tried the DFU-mode & wont recognize the phone... So if I put it on ebay, how do I get all my personal info off of it?
Thanks guys
You don't. Also, I hope you'll mention that it doesn't work and has water damage.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:01 PM   #10
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
should have left the phone alone put it in a bowl of rice for two three days the moisture is pulled out by the rice. others have had luck with a hair dryer. this is before damage is done after the fact $199 sorry! but pay $199 get your new phone and put the water damaged phone as is on ebay honestly you will still probably get most if not all your money back!

When you pay $199, you give them your old damaged iPhone, and they give you a new/refurbished handset. Then they will take what works in the damaged iPhone, and refurbish it, and use it for a warrenty replacement. In order to get a replacement, you pay $199, give them your old iPhone, and get a new iPhone.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:29 PM   #11
renewed
macrumors 68040

Quote:
what generation is it? also any ideas why it has pink watermarks and when it happened.
Quote:

Read lol. He not only said that he got it in water back in July but he also said that he left it in rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
When you pay $199, you give them your old damaged iPhone, and they give you a new/refurbished handset. Then they will take what works in the damaged iPhone, and refurbish it, and use it for a warrenty replacement. In order to get a replacement, you pay $199, give them your old iPhone, and get a new iPhone.
Exactly. You don't get to keep both phones.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:42 AM   #12
milangrant11
macrumors newbie

Alcohol jump start

Two things were wrong with my iphone 3gs when it all the sudden wouldn't respond to anything.

Either the little negative connector from the motherboard to frame slipped off next to the battery connectors, not likely (a ground is not necessary to charge) because it was a loose frame and that fixed the charging issue or

Its the mysterious and legendary alcohol jump start.

Just take some alcohol and swab or spray it on the connection port and plug it it and it began to charge and finally turned on
milangrant11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting