Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Aug 10, 2004, 01:45 PM   #1
Titchski
macrumors newbie

My Plan for a Powerbook

Ok, here goes, I've been reading the MacRumours forums for a while now (awesome site) and was seriously contemplating getting a 12" PowerBook this month, but there seems to be a lot of rumours going around about G5 PB's or G4 extended PB's sometime this winter or early next year. So, I have a cunning plan..

Bearing in mind I have never used a Mac before I am going to get an iBook to "practice" on.

During this practice period my missus will get insanely jealous of the iBook and will want it. I will gradually wean her off her PC and onto the iBook until she uses it more than me. This should take about 6 months or so which should be just around the time of release for new powerbooks.

Does anyone see any fatal flaws in this plan?
Titchski is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:06 PM   #2
cslewis
macrumors 6502a

What if she doesn't want the iBook?
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:08 PM   #3
brap
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_head101
Women dig pretty. She'll want it.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:17 PM   #4
emw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchski
You're assuming it will take 6 months to wean her from the PC. More likely she's going to want it about 6 minutes after you get it home.

Then what?
emw is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:42 PM   #5
SolidGun
macrumors 6502

I cannot believe that we are so terrible on our women. I was going to do the same thing, but in a different way. I figured that after reading all the posts, it won't be for a while that the G5 PB would be out. So I got a 12"PB 1.33 and decided to use it to get used to Mac. I purchased the books and such. All I have to do is hand everything over to my wife later on, when they begin selling the next PB.
But I will have to accidentally break her PC laptop and take her away from my 2 desktops. She utterly hates Macs, but if I addes some flowers........
SolidGun is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:45 PM   #6
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
Quote:
What if it takes longer for the PowerBooks than you are anticipating?
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Eomando
macrumors member

hehe, i think the most fatal flaw you can find with that plan is that *SHE* will want the new powerbook
Eomando is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2004, 07:27 PM   #8
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomando
hehe, i think the most fatal flaw you can find with that plan is that *SHE* will want the new powerbook
with an expensive leather carry case and new shoes to match.
rdowns is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2004, 07:51 PM   #9
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Just make sure to keep the iBook all nice and pretty. You don't want her to take your powerbook because it looks so much nicer. But that's kinda futile, the Powerbooks just look so much nicer.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:55 AM   #10
denm316
macrumors 6502

I do not recommend a Rev A G5PB, my G5 powermac has issues and its a rev a, I can only imagine the reva pb problems.

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"
denm316 is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:51 PM   #11
wide
macrumors 6502a

That's why its warranted. Anyway, I would like to get a Rev. A because then, if it breaks, you can get a brand new computer and not have to pay for it. And most of the problems should be fixed in that new computer.
a dell laptop and a few ipods
wide is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:32 PM   #12
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Quote:

Apple release a new iBook in this time frame and she demands that she gets that instead of your handmedown
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:13 AM   #13
DJY
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to DJY Send a message via MSN to DJY
Love your concept - but a few hiccups...

If she loves the iBook / Mac... she will want a NEW one of her own...

then if she sees the PB's she might like them more (as said above women love "pretty"...

and I suspect new PB will be further away from 6 months.

Maybe the inbetween / temporary solution - is you can grab her the new iMac next month when they come out?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 06:08 AM   #14
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

What if she hates the iBook because she doesn't have an outfit to match?

What if the G5 PB doesn't come out soon?

What if the rev A G5 PB has heat and other issues, just like the rev A 12" PB did with much slower CPUs, I might add?

Why don't you NOT buy the iBook at all, and wait for the G5 PB?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:11 AM   #15
gekko513
macrumors 601

Sounds like a good plan. In the event that she also wants a PB (or if she, higher powers forbid, doesn't like OS X), you can always sell the iBook when the PB G5 is released.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 08:43 PM   #16
Titchski
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies all. I didn't forsee the potential for a new outfit purchase as well, gawd, that'll also mean a new hairdo and nails of course - this new computer malarky gets expensive

I actually think the iBook will cover what I need for now, I'm pretty sure I can sell it off when the PB's come out, whenever that may be.

I've only just got power back after Charley, so I haven't had much time to plan the final assault on the bank balance yet, but thanks again all
Titchski is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2004, 08:57 PM   #17
homerjward
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to homerjward
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_head101
have her committed
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:13 PM   #18
aus_dave
macrumors regular

Quote:
She finds this thread and realises you're a scheming cheapskate?
aus_dave is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:58 PM   #19
Titchski
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus_dave
She finds this thread and realises you're a scheming cheapskate?
Oh, she already knows that!
Titchski is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:24 PM   #20
aus_dave
macrumors regular

I would do exactly the same thing so I can understand your scheming .
aus_dave is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2004, 11:43 PM   #21
spasticmutant
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to spasticmutant
Quote:
Oh, she already knows that!
Once you convert her to Mac with the iBook, and then show her what a cheap bastard you are by dumping your hand-me-down on her and buying yourself a new Powerbook, she oughta dump your ass and date a shiny new guy that actually appreciates a discriminating woman.

Just remember, if you give her something used that breaks later, I guarantee it will reflect poorly on YOU. You've already told her she's not good enough to get your best. Cast-offs make ****ty gifts to quality girlfriends, no matter how well-intentioned you claim to be. If you can afford to get yourself something nice, you can afford to get HER something nice. Anything less means you don't care.

Save the cast-offs for Goodwill. For a woman that truly makes you happy, only your best should ever do.

Of course, if she isn't quality, and you don't care much, give her the cast-off. If she's smart she'll take the hint and move on. If she's not, congratulations. You're dating a doormat with low self esteem and minimal expectations, which you're able to meet. Lucky you.

Anne Marie
Bender, Glorious 15" Powerbook, 1.5Ghz, 128Meg VRAM, 1GB DDRAM, SuperDrive, iSight, Graphire, Zire, Airport Express Wireless, Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, Monster Cables for viewing DVDs on TV for travel, 23" Cinema Display with 1 stuck green pixel that Apple won't fix, 40GB iPod with Clickwheel, and a Mac Mini, once used at work but now home again. Oh, and let's not forget the EyeTV and external 16X DVD-+RW drive.
spasticmutant is offline   0
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:42 AM   #22
Wano
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Wano
I just got my girlfriend converted to a mac. She didn't like macs before and when she started using mine she started to lean, but not enough. So, I took her to the nearest apple reseller, who also sells PC's, and she looked a little at the PC's and then came over to me in the mac section. Just yesterday we went out and baught her a new 12"Powerbook and iPod. I will actually be getting the same thing in about a month so we will have matching computers...hehe..not just for that reason. But, it will be my third mac since i switched about 1.5years ago.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:38 AM   #23
Doraemon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm316
I do not recommend a Rev A G5PB, my G5 powermac has issues and its a rev a, I can only imagine the reva pb problems.
I disagree.
There's nothing wrong with Rev. A's. 99% will work fine. And you'll find some DOA machines (or those with issues) even with Rev. B, C or even later.
Doraemon is offline   0
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:42 AM   #24
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a

My G5 revA works just fine... but maybe thats because I waited long enough ;-) I bought mine in April (since the stole my PowerBook then... and I was allready looking to get a G5)

anyway: women like shiny things, I think she will want a PowerBook, because its shiny... allmost like giving a jewel... not just a plastic ring you get at a fair, but the real deal... so good luck with YOUR iBook and HER PowerBook

my ex-girlfriend was PC-minded, she didn't like working with MacOS (but then I was running OS9.2.2 on my Ti-Book, I think she would like X better...) but she loved the look of my Ti-Book: slim and metallic stylish... she wished her bulky PC laptop looked the same...
and she DIDN'T like the look of my B&W => too much Plastics (and gave same comment to my iMac DV)

but then I sold the plastic lot, kept the Ti-Book and got my iPod... she felt it was expensive... but liked the metallic backpart (mirror for her make-up??)

so its all the looks for women.

I drive a small car... she didn't mind because the color was what she loved: dark green metallic... LOOKS matter for women :-)

J
Old Aug 18, 2004, 05:39 AM   #25
evilgEEk
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasticmutant
...she oughta dump your ass and date a shiny new guy that actually appreciates a discriminating woman...

...You've already told her she's not good enough to get your best...

Of course, if she isn't quality, and you don't care much, give her the cast-off. If she's smart she'll take the hint and move on. If she's not, congratulations. You're dating a doormat with low self esteem and minimal expectations, which you're able to meet. Lucky you.
Anne Marie
wow.

I'm doing basically the exact same thing, except it's actually my wife's idea. And lucky for me, otherwise I too would suffer the wrath of Anne Marie!!

*suspenseful music plays in background*
evilgEEk is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews