Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spineoft33th

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
There wasn't one installed when I bought my Macbook Pro so I had to buy one seperately and I'm just wondering how to install it?

spineoft33th

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
All MacBook Pro's have built-in AirPort Extreme cards. Was the original defective and removed? :confused:

If it's just the part, you can find a repair guide at http://www.ifixit.com/.

Otherwise - :confused:

All I know is that I can't get any wireless connection. I can only get a connection through ethernet. It says "Airport Card Not Installed" when I click on the connection thing on the upper right hand corner of my screen. So I bought a new card and now I don't know how to install it.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Follow the ifixit guide, but I believe you will need to remove the battery, screws on the bottom and sides, and ultimately remove the topcase. There should be a slot and wire connection for the card. Again, follow the ifixit guide, it will tell you which screws, etc.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
All I know is that I can't get any wireless connection. I can only get a connection through ethernet. It says "Airport Card Not Installed" when I click on the connection thing on the upper right hand corner of my screen. So I bought a new card and now I don't know how to install it.

As jackiecanev2 posted, use the iFixit guide. They're very well done. Just take it one step at a time, keep track of what screws go where, and you should be ok.

Just curious: did you try any other troubleshooting steps before ordering the card such, as resetting the SMC? Was this a known failure when you bought the Mac? It's just an odd situation, since none of the MBPs were ever shipped without the card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.