Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:31 AM   #1
speters
macrumors member

Audio passthrough with handbrake?

I have just started to use handbrake 0.9.4 to nock down the size of my blu ray rips. I am using the High profile preset with the audio set to AC3 and DTS pasthru. The computer that I am running handbrake on is not hooked up to my home theater, so I have not been able to listen to the audio to see if it is playing back in 5.1, but I noticed something strange when I looked at the file with MediInfo. The handbrake files audio says: 640kbps, 6 channels, AC-3. But when I look at the original file with MediINfo, the audio says: 640kbps, 6 Channels, AC-3 3/2+1. If I open the hadbrake file in VLC and select audio it just says: english, but the original files says: 3/2+1 english. So is this normal?

Thanks,
Steve
speters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:04 AM   #2
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

It's the same audio. Handbrake does not alter the passthrough AC-3 audio in any way, so despite the minor display difference, its the same audio. No cause for concern.
GermanSuplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3
MacUser2525
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSuplex View Post
It's the same audio. Handbrake does not alter the passthrough AC-3 audio in any way, so despite the minor display difference, its the same audio. No cause for concern.
And I would add that using 0.9.4 last week with the passthru option gave me 5.1 sound when playing back the files produced in VLC.
MacUser2525 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater