Best app to learn French? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:00 AM   #1
yettimillan
macrumors regular

Best app to learn French?

Has anyone tried a few of the French language apps and found any to be useful? I did french school and want to pick up from where i left off. I'm really looking for something that will take me from beginner of good. I don't mind paying either but free would be better.
Any recommendations?
yettimillan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Ish
macrumors 68000

Unless I missed something, when I looked a while back, most of the apps seemed to be more of the phrasebook type. You could always hunt around for an online site. Should you want a French-English dictionary, I can recommend the Collins Pro French-English Translation Dictionary from Ultralingua.
Ish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:09 AM   #3
VietXu
macrumors newbie

All the apps for French are awful - even the paid ones. Go to the podcasts section of the iTunes store and download the free 'Coffee Break French' podcasts. It starts from the absolute basics of French and works up to full conversation and more advanced language. There are well over 100 sessions and they're fastastic, and of course you can learn at your own speed. They also have an accompanying website - http://www.coffeebreakfrench.com/

The podcasts are free but some of the website material isn't, but you don't really need the extras.

Hope this helps!
VietXu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:18 AM   #4
KidPub
macrumors member

Pimsleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yettimillan View Post
Has anyone tried a few of the French language apps and found any to be useful? I did french school and want to pick up from where i left off. I'm really looking for something that will take me from beginner of good. I don't mind paying either but free would be better.
Any recommendations?
Not an app, but an audiobook. The Pimsleur courses are hands-down the best way to learn a foreign language by self-study. I've done the full French and Russian courses (on cassette, remember that technology?). Looks like they are selling the courses on iTunes for about $70 per level (there are three French levels), but Pimsleur is a very popular product to, uh, 'share' if you catch my drift.

Perry

Last edited by angelwatt; Oct 16, 2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: removed link
KidPub is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:07 AM   #5
stockscalper
macrumors 6502a

Get the Rosetta Stone if you want to speak pigeon French.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:32 PM   #6
zeeflyboy
macrumors regular

useful thread - I've just moved to geneva!

Cheers for the coffee break french podcast suggestion - that looks good, and can't beat free!
zeeflyboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:27 PM   #7
leehughes
macrumors member

I think the apps for language still have a long long way to come still..

I always support an actual course to immerse yourself in the language such as games and support forums from people in similar positions

I found this Speak fluent French at your own pace online
leehughes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:20 PM   #8
erasmos
macrumors newbie

Apps For Learning French

There's a Facebook page that has several apps for learning
the basics of French (Alphabet, Numbers, Phonemes and Gender);
there are even some mobile apps:

http://www.facebook.com/LearnFrenchA...app_4949752878
erasmos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:17 AM   #9
mileendmikey
macrumors newbie

Try this instead

Have yet to find a decent language app and I teach modern languages at high school. There is no substitute for immersing yourself in the language. Find a french tutor or girlfriend:-)

I have used the Michel Thomas method to learn Spanish, prior to going to live there for a year and highly recommend it. http://michelthomas.com

Bon courage
mileendmikey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 09:14 AM   #10
erasmos
macrumors newbie

Some French Language Apps (Basics)

Here are some apps for learning the basics of French:

http://french.mobilelanguageapps.com/

Perhaps something useful there.

Regards,
Sean
erasmos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:17 PM   #11
kshitijds
macrumors newbie

French app that you will love

Check this webpage for your French app: http://ios.kaysd.com
kshitijds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 05:36 AM   #12
Ptit
Banned

and ofcourse no one here mentioned michell thomas, the Bescherelle vocabulary, conjugueur etc are all available in app versions which saves a hassle of carrying them around and trying to search anything,

try iSpeak french, TalkPad french, all better then going to websites and enough to get your understanding of frnech up to pace to practice speaking,

the ipad is the way to go with language learning, huge market awaiting developers
Ptit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 05:33 PM   #13
SoundByter
macrumors newbie

Developers need to get on this market... definitely a huge hole here.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:33 PM   #14
iLoveLingo.com
macrumors newbie

French Course in development

We are currently developing a French course in the same style as our other language courses (Spanish and Italian). It will comprise 10 lessons, start from the very beginning and get you well on your way.

Since it's still in production, any ideas as to what features you'd like to see would be welcome. If the author of this thread doesn't disapprove you could post your ideas here, or simply reply on our website.

As with all our courses, it will be a "real" course with interactive lessons, animations, exercises, etc. Audio is added to all phrases and words as well to learn the perfect pronunciation.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:01 PM   #15
peggers123
macrumors newbie

Interested to hear user needs

Hi,

I've been developing a French learning app over the past few months.

It's interesting to hear on this thread that people think there is a real hole in the market here still and offerings aren't too compelling. I'd be interested to hear what features people would like to see.

For reference please try my current attempt (Its Freemium so can try without buying) and let me know your thoughts. "Word and Verb Star"

Phil
peggers123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:22 AM   #16
ashleyn
macrumors newbie

The Ultimate iPhone Application for Learning French FAST! Pocket French - Beginner! You get 10 FrenchPod101 Audio lessons, touch screen line-by-line audio for each lesson, 10 review tracks, flashcards, full lesson notes (50+ pages!), voice recorder tool and more on your phone/iTouch! See what others are saying: “Wow, the language learning revolution is in full swing! - I’m using the touch screen to play words back… I’m having fun learning a language.” Get Pocket French - Beginner here. Also, get Pocket French - Elementary here.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:27 PM   #17
RantNetwork
macrumors newbie

COMMUNILATOR language translator

I wanted to let you know about a language translation application new to the apps store called Communilator™. It is the world’s first mobile phone language translation application capable of recognizing and translating foreign text (books, newspapers, menus, etc.) in 44 languages and dialects captured with the hosts mobile phone camera; of delivering translations to the hosts mobile phone in 3,000 language-pairs; of providing High Quality (HQ) Speech for translations in 21 foreign languages; of Voice Recognition* (4S required); and of seamless integration with SMS and email. It would be very helpful if you needed to learn French, or any one of 54 languages or communicate on the fly. It's not a standard phrase book dictionary based application; the translations are real-time. It's a FREE download with a Full Feature in app purchase option available for a limited time price of $2.99. A very cost effective way to learn a new language. We think you'll like it!
RantNetwork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:39 PM   #18
EmperorOfCanada
macrumors newbie

Technology solution

Here is the best way to learn most languages including French on your iPhone/iPad.
First I can't recommend Pimsleur strongly enough. Throw those mp3s on your device and you will assemble a conversational framework in your head. But Pimsleur seems to avoid vocabulary. This is where the app French Language by LessonStudio is great. That thing blasts vocabulary and the rules to use it straight into your brain. They use mnemonics to get the vocabulary to not leak out of your brain as it tends to do with any flashcard technique.
Another is Michel Thomas. His is a great adjunct to Pimsleur but faster.
With MT you can blast through it in a week or two listening for an hour a day.
Pimsleur on the otherhand is going to take time. 90 30 minute lessons and you will rarely be able to do more than one a day as I found it is best to listen to one in the morning and the same one again in the evening.
The LessonStudio app is really fast. If you had to learn a language fast then that is your solution.(Like for the trip on Friday) My brain hurt after a while but I found I could come back after a break and do more. I am not joking when I say that you could actually have an extremely basic but useful vocabulary in a long weekend.
Rosetta Stone... meh ... I would say that there is no way you could start from scratch and end up speaking a language with that but where I would recommend Rosetta is to polish off a basic knowledge. So if you have a basic working vocabulary, can conjugate some verbs, work with adjectives and adverbs then that is when you should hit Rosetta. I don't know the exact number of words but it looks like your vocabulary is going to be a few thousand words when you are done. But that is going to take time.
As for the costs Pimsleur isn't cheap but you can find it cheap if you look around. Used etc.
Michel Thomas is a really good deal. Again look around for used, etc.

LessonStudio is free for the first few lessons and then not exactly cheap after that but for the number of words you get with the add-ons I think it is a good deal. Definitely the best if you are in a huge hurry.

Then Rosetta, it isn't cheap but for the amount of stuff you get and the time that it will take you to get through it I would say good value for the money. Just save it for last.

Pimsleur and LessonStudio can go on your iPhone/iPad but I don't think Rosetta can.

http://www.pimsleur.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/learn...2033?ls=1&mt=8
http://www.rosettastone.com/
EmperorOfCanada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:29 PM   #19
RikBWalsh
macrumors newbie

Earworms do an app for learning various languages. I used the Portuguese one a year or so back and it was really easy to learn from!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.197443,-2.453034
RikBWalsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:24 PM   #20
EmperorOfCanada
macrumors newbie

I found the earworms app to be just their audio squished into an app. I tuned it out too quickly. After a few minutes I realized I hadn't been listening for at least a minute. Same problem with all the oldies like Berlitz.

Now if Rammstein did a musical language app I could work with that. Although I would probably just end up yelling German at everyone while pounding my fist against my knee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBWalsh View Post
Earworms do an app for learning various languages. I used the Portuguese one a year or so back and it was really easy to learn from!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.197443,-2.453034
EmperorOfCanada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:02 AM   #21
Burne Jones
macrumors newbie

Tell Me More V10
Speech recognition and individual progress evaluation set this award-winning French learning program apart. Tell Me More Performance provides more than 20,000 lessons / 2,000 hours of learning divided into 12 levels, from complete beginner to expert and then on into business French.
Burne Jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:11 AM   #22
alevs
macrumors newbie

Tell Me More and Pimsleur are having Black Friday Sales!

35% off with DOORBUSTER at checkout: http://www.tellmemorestore.com/

50% off with BLACKFRIDAY2011 at checkout: http://www.pimsleur.com

I can definitely vouch for the Pimsleur products. Solid product! I'd also recommend Assimil.
alevs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:30 AM   #23
NoodlesNinja
macrumors newbie

Have a look at "Learn French with 7 jours sur la planète" if your French is not too rusty.
It aims at lower intermediate up to advanced level in French : you watch news reports updated every week, read their transcript and study words used in them through games or a study mode.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id359264753?mt=8
NoodlesNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:37 PM   #24
romain.d
macrumors newbie

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir ?

Hello,

We have just released our iPhone application "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir ?".

Discover a new French expression and its meaning, every day!

You can download our application here :
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voule...oi/id475195773

Enjoy
romain.d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:20 PM   #25
dba415
macrumors 6502

I'm sure the OP is already fluent by now
dba415 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps