Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I discovered an old HP 5550 InkJet that I purchased back in 2003, I believe when I bought my TiBook.

I now have a 3 year old Mac Book Pro and OSX 10.6.2.
Can I assume that with a little clean up, that is "should" work??
I've had to many HP printers that aren't Mac compatible.
Thanks for any help/thoughts.
Frank

luiluiely

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Yes it will...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#HP

The asterisk * (next to the HP5550 in the long list) means the driver was just recently updated. Plug it in so that OS X "sees" it, then run Software Update and a shiny new printer driver will be yours. :apple:

Unfortunately, it will not. The HPdeskjet 5550 is not on the list. The only driver shown for it is a Gutenprint 5.2.3 which has very limited accessibility. You might have been looking at the HPdeskjet D5550 which is a very different printer. Sorry. Back to the drawing board.

I know because I too am looking for a single function Printer only that will work with the Mac OS X 10.6.2 and have yet to find one. If you find one, please let me know. Thanx.

luiluiely

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
double sided printing with Gutenprint v5.2.3

OK, Has anyone discovered how to make the Gutenprint v5.2.3 driver print double sided documents? That would at least make my 5550 usable. Otherwise it uses way too much paper.

jghaines

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
HP Deskjet 5550 no longer supported in OSX

According to list of HP Printers Not Supported in Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, OS X v10.7 Lion, or OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion, the HP Deskjet 5550 is no longer supported by HP.

Apple provides an HP Driver Bundle for Mountain Lion (and earlier). The bundle supports the HP Color Laserjet 5550 and the HP Deskjet D5500. Neither are compatible with the HP Deskjet 5550.

I managed to get the Deskjet 5550 printing in Black and White (only) by using the "Generic PCL Laser Printer" driver that comes with v10.8 Mountain Lion. This supports an option for duplex printing, but I don't have that hardware.

If you are happy to install 3rd party, open source software, the best option is CUPS+Gutenprint driver that can be installed as part of Gimp-Print. This allowed me to color print to my HP Deskjet 5550 from v10.8 Mountain Lion.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.