Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Arghhhh!! What's happened? Recently (about twice), including today, my new iPod mini won't turn on! I know it's got plenty of power because I charged it last night, and even went for a very SHORT walk this morning with it. Now, it won't do anything, even if I put it on the dock to charge. I'm planning on heading to the Apple Store anyways to buy some accesories for my powerbook, is there a defect in my mini? should i replace it? what should the Apple Store do about it? :confused:

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
OMG. I just realized I have no backup of any of the songs on this thing. All the playlists were from my cousins house all the way over in NYC. :eek:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
diehldun said:
OMG. I just realized I have no backup of any of the songs on this thing. All the playlists were from my cousins house all the way over in NYC. :eek:

Not to kick you while you're down, but iTunes and the iPod are designed to work together. Deleting (or not having???) your music from iTunes effectively breaks the iPod.

I'll skip the lecture on piracy--these seem to be your cousin's songs and you know right from wrong.

In case they're your songs or you don't really know right from wrong, what you do before going to the Apple Store is use xPod (or some other ripper, search versiontracker.com) and pull the songs off the iPod. Then get the iPod replaced. Then care for your iTunes music library very lovingly and make a backup.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
diehldun said:
Arghhhh!! What's happened? Recently (about twice), including today, my new iPod mini won't turn on! I know it's got plenty of power because I charged it last night, and even went for a very SHORT walk this morning with it. Now, it won't do anything, even if I put it on the dock to charge. I'm planning on heading to the Apple Store anyways to buy some accesories for my powerbook, is there a defect in my mini? should i replace it? what should the Apple Store do about it? :confused:

If it's less than 10 days old, demand that they replace it because it was DOA (Dead on Arrival). If not, let them repair it (it's free, of course).

Just so you know, if you have songs on your iPod which aren't in iTunes then the automatic sync will delete them. You can use Manual Sync, but then you have to manually add songs whenever you get them.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I agree, go to the Apple Store and get it fixed. Apple's warranty is really good for the iPod. When my headphones broke, then sent me new ones for free. I just wish I had an Apple Store nearby to let me have maintenance easier...

amyrick

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2004
Reset?

Have you tried a hard reset? Mine did this once but I performed a hard reset (hold down the select button and the menu button for a few seconds) and it was fine.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
The same thing happened to me about a week ago. I was excited at first, because I thought I might be able to pay 50 dollars extra at the Apple Store and get the 20 GB iPod 4G. But then I did hard reset :(. My mini is weird though, when you shake it there is something loose inside. Does anyone else have a problem like that?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Guys, its simple.

If there's something loose inside the iPod, if it won't turn on, if it won't play music, then no, IT DOES NOT WORK! It just seems so simple.

Call Apple and get it fixed.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
force reset it. i think it's menu and play held down together. RTFM.

if you shake it and hear components bouncing around...you should realize this is not normal behavior.

get a new one if force reset doesn't work.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Abstract said:
Call Apple and get it fixed.
lol. Yes! If you were heading to the Apple store anyway, just take it with you if it's still not working by then.

In other news: Abstract, I almost changed my 'tar to the same one as yours! Oh well, guess I'll keep mine :rolleyes: :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Hehe, that's what you get for being slow. :p

Normally, I have sigs and avatars turned off so I didn't even know if someone else had my Puss Da Boots avatar, so I had to turn them back on and post around for 2 days before deciding to use it. ;)

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Abstract said:
Normally, I have sigs and avatars turned off so I didn't even know if someone else had my Puss Da Boots avatar, so I had to turn them back on and post around for 2 days before deciding to use it. ;)
lol, and after being here so long I didn't even know you could turn off the avatars/sigs. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.