Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
kernel_task isn't the kernel though. :)

kernel_task is OS X's "swapper" process, hence why it's process ID number (PID) is 0. It handles scheduling and memory for other processes. It's normal for it to suck up a good bit of RAM. Don't concern yourself too much with it, unless it starts using up a lot of CPU time as well.

Oh, and don't kill it. That causes bad things to happen (kernel panic)

msaffir

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
kernal task

What is happening as it increases it's CPU usage and how can that be prevented, corrected?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
What is happening as it increases it's CPU usage and how can that be prevented, corrected?

If there is more to do, it will need more CPU ... :confused:

Don't try to control individual processes. The computer is a lot smarter than the user when it comes to that.

msaffir

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
OverLoad

Should I limit the number of applications I have open? In particular, this may be aggravated when I'm running Windows as a Virtual machine. Oddly enough it came up when I paused/suspended the virtual machine; less of a problem if I just leave it open in the background.

Forsaken

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
Don't try to control the process; it's going to take up that much memory and besides, it still leaves you with enough memory to do everything you need to do.

This seems to be a good explanation.

Peteronfire

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
kernel panic

Hi,

A few weeks ago I started to get the kernel panic error. I still have it from time to time even after reinstallation of snow leopard. I started to think it has something to do with the "kernel_task".
I don't know if it is normal, but after a reboot the kernel_task take less than 100mb and after a while of working with some programs, it takes +/- 400mb. Even after closing all programs. I think the kernel panic appears when the kernel_task is taking lot of memory and with some heavy programs running like illustrator or flex builder for example.
Sometimes my free memory available also runs out (with some minor programs open), it didn't happen before.

I have a macbook 2.0 with 2Gb ram. Does anyone have a suggestion about this?
Tanks

msaffir

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Kernel Task Overload

kernel_task isn't the kernel though. :)

kernel_task is OS X's "swapper" process, hence why it's process ID number (PID) is 0. It handles scheduling and memory for other processes. It's normal for it to suck up a good bit of RAM. Don't concern yourself too much with it, unless it starts using up a lot of CPU time as well.

Oh, and don't kill it. That causes bad things to happen (kernel panic)

:confused: The problem is the Kernel_task overloads taking up 110 to 150% of the CPU (not just memory) causing it to slow and freeze. I've been looking at this and overheating is often blamed but so is multiple tasks and connections via USB and Wireless, so based on what you said about the role as swapper makes sense. The Kernel task usage seems to accelerate on it's own for some reason after a critical point, not sure if something is running in the background. Flash Player has been blamed as it on many web pages and I have several open at a time. FireFox has been blamed as well and I use Safari, Chrome and FireFox.

samcolson4

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Dragging this thread up from the depths:

MBP in my signature - Kernel_task is taking up 400mb of real memory on one user account.

I created another just to see what would happen, and it doesn't even run on that account. I would switch over but I don't know how to move files across from one user account to another with ease.

The second user account is a lot faster, even when doing similar tasks (running Chrome, iTunes, Minecraft, Logic Pro occasionally) and it must be because it has that much more RAM available to it.

Advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.