Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
So, I have a 16GB 3G. My coworker is getting a 3GS this week and is getting rid of her 8GB 1st Gen iPhone. I offered her $25 for it and she said yes. I just wanted to get other people's input on it as to what I should do with it.

Should I jailbreak and unlock it then sell it on eBay for about the same amount.

Should I just keep it and give it to the fiance to use as an 8GB iPod Touch (since she always wants to use my phone when we're chilling in the apartment so she can surf Safari on our wifi)?

Do I just selfishly keep it and use it as an iPod Touch for myself that I won't care what happens to it (dropping, moisture, etc.)?

I am also open to any other ideas too. Thank you!

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Should I jailbreak and unlock it and sell it on eBay? It's pretty "used" and will probably only sell for $150 or so.

You have no idea how greedy that sounds!:p:p:D:D

1st generation iphones now and days cost around $50-$100 bucks on ebay. I've even seen some for $25 since they have severe broken screens.

I suggest u give it as a christmas gift to somebody you love very dearly in these holidays.;)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
1+

great xmas gift for a favorite relative or friend they can use it as a touch. plus it saves you worrying about bad feed back on ebay. Or sell it for a quick $50-$75 on craigs and again go xmas shopping. maybe even get that coworker a small gift! ;)

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
You have no idea how greedy that sounds!:p:p:D:D

1st generation iphones now and days cost around $50-$100 bucks on ebay. I've even seen some for $25 since they have severe broken screens.

I suggest u give it as a christmas gift to somebody you love very dearly in these holidays.;)

Haha, yeah, I just realized how bad that sounded, but I'm really not in the mood to edit it, lol. I really do think that the fiance route is the best way to go. That way, she doesn't have to get pissy at me when she can't find out my passcode and she doesn't lock it up for hours again. That was an interesting day :(

This one.

Much appreciated, Thank you!

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2009
As being a person who usually comes across broken equipment or old equipment I can't really fathom paying $25 from a friend or co-worker for the 1st gen, then going around their back and selling it for $100-$150. I would hope you would not take any profit on a device that you are getting a "deal" on. That's sad.

I had an experience last year where I had an old washer and dryer from my cottage that I had given to a co-worker (not really a friend) for FREE and then come to find out she had sold them at her garage sale 4 weeks later for $200. Did I see any of that money? NO. I figured she really needed a washer and dryer and knew she was driving to a laundry mat to do her laundry. Being the nice guys and giving these working washer/dryer would help her be around her family instead being stuck at the laundry mat. Now it makes me hesitate when I come across computer gear (i'm an Network Admin) and I now think twice before giving anything to anyone.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
As being a person who usually comes across broken equipment or old equipment I can't really fathom paying $25 from a friend or co-worker for the 1st gen, then going around their back and selling it for $100-$150. I would hope you would not take any profit on a device that you are getting a "deal" on. That's sad.

As stated above, I have already figured the best idea, which would be to give it to my sig other to use as a glorified iPod Touch. I am pretty much doing my coworker a favor by taking it off her hands. She's the type who would rather just throw it away than do any research related to reselling it, so either way, she comes out $25 ahead the way I see it. But I'll go ahead and edit my first post, thank you.

milton.sheaf

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Um, what? You bought the thing, why are you asking us what you should do with it? Why did you buy it?

Hey MR peoples, I just bought a pound of ground beef, a stapler, and a kite. What should I do with them? :rolleyes:

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Um, what? You bought the thing, why are you asking us what you should do with it? Why did you buy it?

Welcome to what we call a forum, where people share ideas between one another. Sorry I asked for input (not specifically yours, mind you) regarding what some ideas are that I could do with my newly acquired 1stGen.

Are you just jumping from topic to topic finding ways to make yourself feel superior to others? Move along

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2009
I meant no offense from my post. I was just stating my frustration from people who take advantage of people who don't know the value or the worth like you might. I am not trying to post against you and I was just stating my feelings about people that often take advantage of others.

This is not to dismiss people who own items and like you said, she would of probably of thrown it out for not worrying about the worth or caring. I don't like people like that either.

But then again the cell phone market has created this monster...you get a subsidised phone for $1.00 then people assume that phone is only worth a dollar. Which it is not.

Thanks for your understanding.

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
as an ipod touch for a gift is a great idea! That gift is worth way more than the $25 you spent on it.

Joe

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I meant no offense from my post. I was just stating my frustration from people who take advantage of people who don't know the value or the worth like you might. I am not trying to post against you and I was just stating my feelings about people that often take advantage of others.

This is not to dismiss people who own items and like you said, she would of probably of thrown it out for not worrying about the worth or caring. I don't like people like that either.

It's funny, the first thing I told her was that she'd make about 1/2 to put toward her new 3GS by selling her 1st Gen, and she really didn't want to do that (via eBay, craigslist, etc). I even offered to sell it for her, not even take a "commission" at all, but she didn't want to do that either. It seems like she just wanted to be done with it, she was having major problems with edge and couldn't stand the phone anymore.

As a last resort I offered to buy it for $50 just to take it off her hands (and bc I don't have too many expendable funds as of right now, thank you Christmas :(), because of the edge problems it has she just told me $25. I'm alright w/ that since my fiance will just use it for our wifi.

I can't express it enough how happy I am that she'll have her own iPhone to play with (minus the cell network)! There's absolutely nothing in my phone that I need to hide from her, but it'll be so nice now that she'll have her own.

:D

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2009
I hear that. I got my wife an iPhone for the exact reason. I was getting sick of her draining my battery playing games (games I never downloaded) and then never putting it back on the charger. It is my work phone so I contend with battery life as it is. So I gave in and got her an iPhone 3G she didnt know the difference between my 3GS. Now I am stuck with a 40/month dollar bill so she won't use my phone. Ah...the things you have to pay for.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Haha, nice!

I can't wait for her to see what I've been excited about for the past year. She's always had the mindset that I was obsessed with my phone and it wasn't normal. Once she has her's, she'll be begging me to put her sim card in it and combine our plans!

Hopefully a restore can fix whatever edge issues there were, in case we end up setting it up as her BB curve replacement. I give it three weeks, lol

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Yeah, I'm kind of scared of showing her the glory that is the App Store and seeing my money go down the drain like that <snaps fingers>, lol

Oh well, she's worth it!

I agree this is the best plan (giving it to your fiance), but just be prepared that after she uses it for a while, she's going to want it to become her full-time phone (ie. activate a data plan for it or go get a newer model with contract). So be prepared to shell out. But it's worth it. When I got my first iPhone, I got one for my wife too. At the time she wasn't even sure she needed or wanted one. But within a couple of months, she was completely and utterly hooked. She just loves the thing. It makes me happy that she enjoys it so much, and I also feel better when she's out and about that she has access to so much info and will never get lost, etc.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I agree this is the best plan (giving it to your fiance), but just be prepared that after she uses it for a while, she's going to want it to become her full-time phone (ie. activate a data plan for it or go get a newer model with contract). So be prepared to shell out. But it's worth it. When I got my first iPhone, I got one for my wife too. At the time she wasn't even sure she needed or wanted one. But within a couple of months, she was completely and utterly hooked. She just loves the thing. It makes me happy that she enjoys it so much, and I also feel better when she's out and about that she has access to so much info and will never get lost, etc.

You totally called it. I got the phone last week and finally had time to restore, set up as new, etc this weekend. She had the phone for a whole half day before realizing her BB Curve really isn't all that awesome (the best part is that this is just the first generation iPhone, just wait till the 4th!). She wants me to set it up so she can use it with her current ATT plan with just voice and unl'd messaging.

I've been searching MRoogle all morning looking up how to get the data plan blocked etc. I know that it's a stupid thing to do, as in why have an iPhone if you're not having a data plan?, but there's no way around it with her. I've got the answers I need and look forward to setting up her "new" iPhone tonight. Thanks for all your help!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
You totally called it. I got the phone last week and finally had time to restore, set up as new, etc this weekend. She had the phone for a whole half day before realizing her BB Curve really isn't all that awesome (the best part is that this is just the first generation iPhone, just wait till the 4th!). She wants me to set it up so she can use it with her current ATT plan with just voice and unl'd messaging.

I've been searching MRoogle all morning looking up how to get the data plan blocked etc. I know that it's a stupid thing to do, as in why have an iPhone if you're not having a data plan?, but there's no way around it with her. I've got the answers I need and look forward to setting up her "new" iPhone tonight. Thanks for all your help!

I'm sure she'll continue to get sucked into the convenience of the iPhone and will eventually want the full experience, ie. add the data plan. I don't have any tips for getting around the data requirement on AT&T, but I think you can find them elsewhere on MacRumors.

I've met a lot of people over the last year or so who didn't initially favor the iPhone over other alternatives, until they really had some quality time with an iPhone. Then, invariably, they are won over. I've watched that happen all over my office.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
No, no, no!!!

You are about to become a baller!!! Turn that into an iPhone necklace!! Nothing says, "I've got money to play around with" like an iPhone necklace! Keep it charged every day, get an app that let's you make a full-screen digital banner and ball out til you fall out, playa!!

Or... An iPhone belt buckle!! iPhone spoke spinner!!! The possibilities are endless!!!

Aumz

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2008
OMFG what a useless and pointless post that is....which makes this post even more pointless

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I have 2 iPhones....the 3Gs is my main phone and I have a 3G...the 3G I use as the guinea pig when installing things from Cydia so I dont mess up my 3Gs and have to restore

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Excellent! I love the necklace idea, if only I can get it away from her.

The only thing that's keeping us from blocking data on her plan and setting up the phone is her lack of MMS. She says she won't be able to send me naughty pics (not like she does now anyways...) so that's why she wants to keep her BB.

Oh well, at least she can use it as an iPod Touch and a semi-cool "tablet" of sorts with the wifi and all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.