Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:19 PM   #1
vondavaskin
macrumors newbie

Red face Powerbook g4 broken cd drive want to install leopard. Help!

I have a 15" Titanium Powerbook g4 powerpc with a broken cd/dvd drive. I was origianlly on tiger 10.4.11 (at last check me thinks) and tried to install leopard using my neighbours macbook via firewire. About a third of the way through the leopard disc ejected itself out of the macbook. I restarted my powerbook to find the login page had neither of my accounts listed, but the leopard purpley background was visible. By clicking back we could view an account called 'other' but didn't have the passwords. My dad fiddled about with it and managed to get rid of the need for passwords, however upon booting up it now goes blank blue when the login page would normally show, and then go grey and go no further.

So I'd like to try installing leopard again but am a little scared to use my neighbours mac as i dont want to damage it. I have access to a terabite external hard drive, and pc's which i could in theory use via firewire but so far no luck. I have copied the leopard files onto the external hardrive but it wont recognise it when i start up using the options button. do the files need to be installed on the hard drive rather than copied (if there is a difference) and if so, how do you do that without another mac?

Or is there any other way of doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
vondavaskin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs