Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
Hello,

Does anybody remember the easter eggs that ware found in the early versions of Mac OS? The most recent one i can remember is in early developer editions of OSX (ten) where if you went <ctrl+alt(option)+delete> a dialogue box popped up and declared "This is not windows"

Does anybody know of any others to bring back a bit of mac nostalgia!

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
paxtonandrew said:
Hello,

Does anybody remember the easter eggs that ware found in the early versions of Mac OS? The most recent one i can remember is in early developer editions of OSX (ten) where if you went <ctrl+alt(option)+delete> a dialogue box popped up and declared "This is not windows"

Does anybody know of any others to bring back a bit of mac nostalgia!

No nostalgia involved, but holding shift and any of the expose keys will make the windows tile in slow motion.

You can also hold shift while minimizing/maximizing for slow motion.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I remember someone posted here that Stevie has forbidden easter eggs into the OS ... you can do a search... I'd believe that...Because

"This is not windows" :)

FriarCrazy

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
Ames, IA/Eden Prairie, MN
Indeed, Steve did hit Easter Eggs pretty hard with the "NO" stick. That aside, there are a few really cool features that I know of that are LIKE easter eggs, but they're documented features (Just not well known at all).

To make your desktop look REALLY cool, hit ctrl+option+apple+8. Hit it again to turn it off.

If you turn on speakable commands (or whatever its called) and tell it to "Tell me a Joke," it will. Pretty funny.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Go to the Applications folder, open pCalc2, go to the constants in the menu, and click on "ultamate anwser."

Kudos to anyone who know what that number means.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
FriarCrazy said:
Indeed, Steve did hit Easter Eggs pretty hard with the "NO" stick. That aside, there are a few really cool features that I know of that are LIKE easter eggs, but they're documented features (Just not well known at all).

To make your desktop look REALLY cool, hit ctrl+option+apple+8. Hit it again to turn it off.

If you turn on speakable commands (or whatever its called) and tell it to "Tell me a Joke," it will. Pretty funny.

That desktop trick is REALLY cool. I can't wait to go to the Apple store and freak everyone out and make them think I broke their very expensive G5's ;)

Also, how do I do the "Tell me a Joke" thing? Where do I get into the speakable commands? I didn't even know Macs had that. It would be so cool if I could tell it to empty the trash, and it did, or open Safari, and it does.

FriarCrazy

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
System Prefs -> Speech
Under the Speech Recognition tab (Its the first one that comes up) turn Apple Speakable Items to "On"
Its pretty self explanitory from there, but you can PM me if you have trouble.

Also, an even better thing to do at the apple store is to open up the apps folder, select everything and then double click... The dock goes CRAZY! I call it the "Dock Dance," and you'll see why. I did it on a dual 1.8 at the grand opening at the Rosedale store in Minnesota and then hit expose... This photographer dude came over and he was like OMG WOW and he took a picture of all the windows.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
the number displayed is 42, which is of course the answer to life and the universe

He's right, of course. 42 translates directly into eastern istanbulian as "the answer to life and the universe". We love 42.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
ctrl+option+command+8...

I thought this was just for portables, and was deemed as "stealth mode", convenient for warchalking at night. The mode puts out only white light, looking only like a small flashlight. Also, with the image colors reversed, the common large white areas on a screen are turned to black, putting out much less overall light. Why is mac so cool? Because it allows us to get on to windows wifi networks. And stealthily too.
-klon

FriarCrazy

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
pdpfilms said:
ctrl+option+command+8...

I thought this was just for portables, and was deemed as "stealth mode", convenient for warchalking at night. The mode puts out only white light, looking only like a small flashlight. Also, with the image colors reversed, the common large white areas on a screen are turned to black, putting out much less overall light. Why is mac so cool? Because it allows us to get on to windows wifi networks. And stealthily too.
-klon

I never really thought of using it that way, sweet! I always knew it as an accessability feature, "high visibilty mode."

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
yeah, I use that feature a lot when my eyes are really tired. I would think that it would also be useful in a farkened classroom or meeting room where people don't want to be distracted by the beautiful, bright mac screen.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
FriarCrazy said:
My favorite speakable use is with the Chess app. I suck at chess - seriously, many single-cell organisms can handily beat me at it - but I love speaking my moves out loud and seeing them on the screen. I think it makes for a cool demo. An even better one for someone who can actually play the freaking game....

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I remember there is one if you go through the terminal... damn I can't remember it for the life of me, but I think it brings up picks of the developers.... I think you had to use the man command. Anybody know the one I'm talking about? :confused: It's a pretty minor (but classic) type of easter egg.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
FriarCrazy said:
I never really thought of using it that way, sweet! I always knew it as an accessability feature, "high visibilty mode."

Yeah, that's not really an Easter Egg, just a keyboard shortcut for "Switch to White on Black" in the Universal Access panel of System Prefs. But no doubt about it, it is cool. :cool:

The only "egg" I've found so far is in Classic apps, when I go to a nav window, go into a network volume and select the path drop-down menu:

Attachments

• moof.gif
    moof.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 890

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
I can't really get the speech thing to work. I got it to recieve 'Tell Me a Joke' 2 times, and both times, it was a knock-knock joke, so I said "whose there?" and it blew me off.... Are there any techniques to get it to understand my voice? Do I let go of ESC right after I'm done talking?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
KevRC4130 said:
I can't really get the speech thing to work. I got it to recieve 'Tell Me a Joke' 2 times, and both times, it was a knock-knock joke, so I said "whose there?" and it blew me off.... Are there any techniques to get it to understand my voice? Do I let go of ESC right after I'm done talking?
I did that too... sure my housemates think I've lost the plot.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
the terminal ones sound the most interesting to me. just the fact that you have to do some terminal weirdness to get to them is cool. (someday i will learn UNIX. today is not that day).

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
FriarCrazy said:
Also, an even better thing to do at the apple store is to open up the apps folder, select everything and then double click... The dock goes CRAZY! I call it the "Dock Dance," and you'll see why. I did it on a dual 1.8 at the grand opening at the Rosedale store in Minnesota and then hit expose... This photographer dude came over and he was like OMG WOW and he took a picture of all the windows.

Guys, DO NOT DO THIS if you only have 256mb of ram.... I just did, my Powerbook could hardly run it was so overloaded, the fan came on, it took at least 10 minutes to get it all opened, then closed. Not only that, but it was lagging so much, I couldn't even see the icons dance :( . Stick with a rammed up G5 if you want to do this, I learned my lesson.... Happily, expose did work, and it WAS cool to see all of the files :)

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
FriarCrazy said:
That is so funny.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
KevRC4130 said:
Guys, DO NOT DO THIS if you only have 256mb of ram.... I just did, my Powerbook could hardly run it was so overloaded, the fan came on, it took at least 10 minutes to get it all opened, then closed. Not only that, but it was lagging so much, I couldn't even see the icons dance :( . Stick with a rammed up G5 if you want to do this, I learned my lesson.... Happily, expose did work, and it WAS cool to see all of the files :)

I was bored one day and did that on my Yikes G4 400 with 1GB of RAM just for kicks. Opened every application and utility at the same time. I knew it was going to take awhile, so I went and did something else. I can't remember exactly how long it took, but I think it took the better part of an hour, and rendered my computer unusable until reboot. But the good news is, it opened them all and never crashed. :) Needless to say, I won't be doing that again...

Richter

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2003
FL
FriarCrazy said:
o.o that's pretty spiffy

the only one i sknow is to open up X11 and type in "xeyes" w/othe ""

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.