Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I have a 15" PB G4 1.5ghz with 2gb of ram. I was thinking of updating the hard drive. How difficult is this, what drive should I get and is it worth it?? Is there anything else I can do to keep her running smooth?

I'm looking to stay under $100...

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh the current drive in it is what came with the computer (6 years ago). It's 80gb and I think 5400 rpm not sure what the rest of the specs are...

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
if you are comfortable opening up the computer, then upgrade the hd. its somewhat long process. I did this surgery on my old school ibook a few years ago following the ifixit dot com guide and it worked!!! Unfortunately, i had like 4 screws left over but it didn't make a differences LOL. I'd definitely upgrade it. I think that ifixit website can give you product recommendations on the HD. pretty sure it does so at least you can upgrade the HD.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
It comes down to how comfortable you are with taking apart your PB. Overall its not difficult if you follow the ifixit instructions. If its your first time make sure you go slow and try to keep track of all the screws.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Thanks for your responses, but will I see a difference in how the computer preforms? I'm not to worried about opening up the computer, I am usually good with stuff like that.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I didn't notice anything when I upgraded my HD. Perhaps if u go with an ssd but that's out of your budget.

I'd try reinstalling the software and see if
that speeds things up a bit but again it's an old computer.

AnimaLeo

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Basicly, to keep it running nice and fast you should only run programs on it that are recomended for your spec. Don't work with Photoshop CS4 etc, stick to older programs. You'll find that it works super fast at older programs that are meant to work with the specs.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
If you need more space, get an external drive. You're only going to get a negligible performance increase from upgrading the internal drive. I doubt you'd even notice it.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
External hard drive? lmao come on.

You can get a new PATA hard drive, I haven't seen one bigger than 320gb though. The install process is a bit of a pain, and you'll probably scratch your machine/leave permanent marks on it, but it is pretty old so no big deal right? Just be careful.

Go for a 7200rpm model if you can, if not find the fastest 5400rpm model (most cache, lowest seek times) - preferably a single platter drive. That'll help matters a ton.

If your ram is maxed, great! If not, consider getting it up to the max. :)

I'm typing this on a 1.5ghz myself :)

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I did max out the RAM and re-installed the OS (10.4.11). It seems to be running decent. I was just wondering if there was anything I was missing...

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
A new hard drive might help applications launch faster. But its not going to make youtube video's run smoother, or make photoshop render something faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.