Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The hype is continuing to build around Google's highly-anticipated Android-based phone, dubbed the "Nexus One". Engadget today reveals draft specs for the forthcoming device, as well as information that it is scheduled to launch on January 5th and will initially be available only by "invitation".
Our tipster doesn't have information on how those invites are going to be determined, other than the fact that it's Google doing the inviting -- if we had to guess, current registered developers are a strong possibility -- but the good news, we suppose, is that T-Mobile will apparently sell the phone directly at some to-be-determined point in the future.
The Nexus One reportedly offers a similar 3.7-inch, high-resolution OLED screen to that found in the Motorola Droid, as well as a 5-megapixel autofocus camera with flash and the Android 2.1 operating system. Onboard storage is pegged at 512 MB of flash and 512 MB of RAM, and the device supports microSD cards with a 4 GB card included.

Gizmodo was able to get a brief hands-on experience with the Nexus One, finding it "long and silky and natural" with a "damn good" screen, even better than that of the Droid. The Nexus One was also found to be snappier than the iPhone and Droid in loading Web pages. But rather than comparing the overall Nexus One to the iPhone 3GS, Gizmodo chooses to pit it against the Droid, noting that "it's still an Android phone".
If Google's planning on releasing this phone as their official Google phone, it'll certify them as the premium Android phone brand out there right now. Even though it doesn't have a hardware keyboard, it basically beats the hell out of the Droid in every single task that we threw at it.

Article Link: Google 'Nexus One' Phone Set for Invitation-Only Launch on January 5th?

klittle32

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
meh...

I'm not so impressed with the interface. The iPhone seems more simplified. One button to go home, tap the app you want to open, etc. I don't know. I held my friend's Droid for the first time yesterday and couldn't figure it out in a few seconds, unlike the iPhone, which seemed so simple/welcoming/safe to interact with the first time I saw it.

But maybe I'm just either impatient or dense.

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
Sux that the built in apps do not support multitouch. Other than that its a great phone. Just a sign of whats to come from Apple soon!

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Very shrewd marketing! Every time a new multimedia cell phone appears on the market the vendor always does the all to familiar iphone juxtaposition to gain tech creed without being about ****. It is always something being compared to the iphone. But what we really get is nothing but a bunch of rebranded cell phones(most likely HTC,LG or Samsung) and a certain build of Winmo or Android.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I'm not so impressed with the interface. The iPhone seems more simplified. One button to go home, tap the app you want to open, etc. I don't know. I held my friend's Droid for the first time yesterday and couldn't figure it out in a few seconds, unlike the iPhone, which seemed so simple/welcoming/safe to interact with the first time I saw it.

But maybe I'm just either impatient or dense.

You're neither. My number one complaint about cell phones prior to the iPhone was that the more complex they were or the more features they had, the more frustrating they were to use and the more frequently you had to refer to a manual. I loathed the series of buttons I had to remember to get to various things in previous phones. I literally had to remember series of button presses like "right - OK - 3 - down - enter" on previous phones.

You shouldn't need a damn manual to get to use a cell phone and the more complex it gets, the more work the manufacturer/developer should do to make it intuitive.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Actually they named the phone after YOUR DOOM!!

You're all DOOMED! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMED!

"Uh, thank you?"

Good reference!

T-Mo just went all 3G everywhere I had been complaining about. Guess they needed to step it up for Android. I am really happy with the speeds. This may be the Android phone to make me give up a physical keyboard.

Sep 17, 2007
I assume that the Vodafone plans for the iPhone in the UK will make page 1 at some stage (bearing in mind more Android nonsense has made it)?

9secondadidas

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Can't wait

My gen 1 iPhone is getting a little long in the tooth. If it's cheap enough I'll be snatching one up and see if it lives up to any of the hype.

healeydave

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Is this running on early software?

The UI stying looks early, like the icons are not polished and nice looking.
I also noticed one of the apps crash and not do what the user was trying to do, particularly when he was trying to do pinch to zoom in, he kinda gave up in the end and just started scrolling instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.