Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Here I go again.
Is there another 30" display for the price can beat it for color accuracy?
It meets SWOP standards.

Apple has them for $1389 delivered with tax refurbished.
I wonder what they do to them, are they worth it?

Other option is a NEC 2490wuxi, $1100. excellent monitor.

Other option is a 27" Imac quad I5.. $2200.

Which one will give me the best output?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
If memory serves, dell has some with the same panel for hundreds less. It's won't give you that granimals matchiness, but it will save you some bucks.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
They run commercials for granimals these days lol.

If you want the Dell equivaent it's the 3007WFP (hc), they sell for $1199 new, and come with a 3 year warranty. They use an S-IPS panel similar to that of the 30" apple (In fact, it may be the same) - but they aren't identical.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Here I go again.
Is there another 30" display for the price can beat it for color accuracy?
It meets SWOP standards.

Apple has them for $1389 delivered with tax refurbished.
I wonder what they do to them, are they worth it?

Other option is a NEC 2490wuxi, $1100. excellent monitor.

Other option is a 27" Imac quad I5.. $2200.

Which one will give me the best output?

Ok if I buy a Imac locally it will cost me 1999 plus 7% tax.

I can buy a new 30" cinema for 1679 delivered so I guess less than $300 is stupid going for the refurbished.
I don't think many here understand that the cinema display is probably the top tier panel for professionals. It's not a gaming monitor.

I am not convinced that the Imac will do it for my needs.
I do like working off 1 computer my MBP.
So I think my plan now is to get a good monitor and maybe early next year a quad processor MBP will come out and I will make a move, probably for the 17" model and should have plenty of horse power to do everything I need.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Hi Lukester

You can't really go wrong with the SWOP list. ALL of them are SWOP certified and bound to be excellent.

The 30" Apple Cinema Display is the cheapest 30" SWOP monitor that I know of.
It's a shame the 20" and 23" were discontinued. (glad I got one of each)

If you want color accuracy and a 30" matte screen it can't be beat at the price...just check out the NEC and EIZO SWOP certified 30" models...
How does Apple sell them so cheap?

The iMacs have a really great screen but it's glossy. This drives some people up a wall so you'd certainly want to try one out in person before buying one.
Personally, i preferred the glossy screen of my previous Sony and NEC monitors but my ACD monitors are my best yet.

"Recertified" often means one of 4 things in the monitor business:

1- Someone returned it with a dead or stuck pixel, or it's new with a dead or stuck pixel. Or possibly something broke and was repaired.

2- Someone returned it because it didn't slice bread, make toast, improve their love life or fit their computer. Units used in Trade Shows, movies or whatever often end up "Recertified" as well.

3- They might be trying to clear out the remaining inventory just before the new model comes out. "Recertified" pricing speeds things up.

4- There's an overstock because they don't sell well enough because of all the people screaming "Brand X makes one way better for half the price!" In this instance, slapping a "recertified" sticker on a new unit allows them to drop the price so as to clear inventory.

You will find no shortage of people running around saying: "Apple monitors (and computers) are a Ripoff! Brand X has the exact same thing or even something way better for Hundreds less!"

Funny how none of those "same or better" monitors are on the SWOP list.
You'd think that if Dell for example makes such a great Apple-killer monitor that they'd go after the publication industry and get SWOP certified.

Have fun,

What's you Color I.Q.?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/829222/

Keri

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
So now, $1700 for a screen and $3000+ for a 17" MBP?

LOL!

No need to buy locally, $1900 AR http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10777075

I have been using my MBP as my main machine for 3 1/2 years.
I was connecting it to my 20" Mit Diamond Pro CRT Until I found out that it's tired, no good for accurate colors.

I think I can sell my laptop for at least $900 so putting that to a new one for @2500 is not that bad. If they come out with a quad MBP which looks like a done deal, I will go for that.

That's one of the reasons why I don't really want to get the Imac, because why do I need two computers when a good laptop will do the job and it's portable.. Try bringing the 27" around with ya.

I want a sRGB gamut monitor, forget the wide gamut stuff, don't need it.
It boils down to a 30" cinema, refurbished or new, or a NEC 2490wuxi older version which I cannot find for sale now. they are out.

To be hones the cinema is a little overkill for me. I cannot believe almost every monitor they are making now is wide gamut.
the new 2490 wuxi2 has a eh-ips display and it is not as good as the old one. The nec 2690wuix2 has a h-ips display and is 25.5 inches nice size but wide gamut. It does have a srgb mode but most are saying it's not that good.

So this is crazy...!

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
lukester: get the 30" ACD and pair it with your macbook pro. That'll be a killer set up and you'll be one happy productive little beaver.

As for going new or refurb..I'll suggest refurb!;)

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
lukester: get the 30" ACD and pair it with your macbook pro. That'll be a killer set up and you'll be one happy productive little beaver.

As for going new or refurb..I'll suggest refurb!;)

Hey thanks for the input.

I see you have a 30"..
Have you been able to compare it with other monitors?

My head is spinning..
Now I am looking into Eizo monitors that have wide and srgb colorspace.

So you think a refurbished cinema is a can't go wrong prop?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
So you think a refurbished cinema is a can't go wrong prop?

As a general rule, apple refurbs are a stellar deal. They do a far, far better job refurbing than most other tech companies out there. The refurbs come with the same warranty as new and carry the same eligibility for applecare as new.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
After reading tons of reviews on the apple cinema 30" I was going to pull the trigger on a refurb one and they are out now.. figures.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
I would get a 26" NEC multisync before ever looking at the 30 inch apple.

While the apple was spectacular years ago, it's dated now. aside from the matching finish and firewire inputs the dell has it beat

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I would get a 26" NEC multisync before ever looking at the 30 inch apple.

While the apple was spectacular years ago, it's dated now. aside from the matching finish and firewire inputs the dell has it beat

the Nec is wide gamut and it's sRGB mode does not work.

dyoungh

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009

Some expo shops have them for 1200 in my area.
L.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.