Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dergar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Greece
Hello, many thanks and wishes to all!

When I connect my Duet or my RME FireFace800 to the FireWire port of my new MBP the infamous CPU Whine is here when in any other occasion the machine is silent! And just when I need to use my Duet, to record some airy vocals or a discreet Piano at my work, or when I listen to my favorite low volume parts of my beloved ambient or classical music via the excellent DACs of the Duet, when in just these occasions above is that I need the silent computer... :

I hear the little whine always there like a night cricket in a Greek summer night! Plus: the temperature of the CPU Diode is climbing on the 68 to 70 Celsius without any other application than iTunes running!

After vast research without finding the same problem posted somewhere, I tried QuietMBP application and Voila ! The whine disappeared!
But: The CPU Diode Temperature is then climbing on above the 86 Celsius!!!

Any ideas? Is anybody having similar issues?

Peace Forever!
Chris
http://dergar.bandcamp.com (album free download)

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
After vast research without finding the same problem posted somewhere, I tried QuietMBP application and Voila ! The whine disappeared!
But: The CPU Diode Temperature is then climbing on above the 86 Celsius!!!

Sustaining 86C+ is not good for clean audio, as you may get into clipping as the CPU may stutter.

QuietMBP works by throttling the CPU, by lowering clock speed, thus working harder and going into higher temps. But it's a few years old, and I had thought firmware updates such as the 2007 MBP battery update had fixed the noise.

A quick solution is to use SMC Fan Control to throttle up your fans to then cool down, but then your mic may pick up fan noise.

Another solution is to try CoolBook. I've written many posts on this, especially when I owned my MBA, but you have to work at it to tweak it just right. It basicly lowers the voltage your MBP uses, thus producing less heat, thus better cooling, and marginally better battery performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.