Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Hello again. (I used to be a regular on this site).

I purchased, (as my first apple product since an Apple IIe) a 1Ghz Powerbook G4 with a Superdrive the first week they were offered (2002 or 2003?). It has served me faithfully and well. As of a few weeks ago, it was still faster and more reliable than far newer PCs.

Yesterday a faulty logic board was diagnosed, and I have to say goodbye to my old friend.

The man at the service center said it was obsolete, but it never felt that way. It had scratches and grime, but it was always beautiful to me.

Goodbye my friend. You may be replaced, but you will never be forgotten.

M

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I feel your loss... That's a lovely machine and it's a shame that it's finally packed it in. It had quite a good run, though, and it definitely wasn't what I'd call 'obsolete'! :(

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Sorry for your loss. I have the last Powerbook G4 of that model. 1.25ghz 80gb HD. She still runs great. I use her as a backup to my MBP.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Sorry to read about your PB. Mine are still running . . . Ummm . . . Knock on wood. They are great rigs. My wife still uses the 17" PB on a daily basis.

On a brighter note, you have a new laptop to look forward to. Enjoy! ;)

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
are you thinking of preserving it in some way? that is what my dad did when his died. he has it in a glass case on the wall with the years that he used it engraved on it. pretty weird but it meant that much to him and it sounds like your's did as well so why the hell not.

segers909

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Belgium
are you thinking of preserving it in some way? that is what my dad did when his died. he has it in a glass case on the wall with the years that he used it engraved on it. pretty weird but it meant that much to him and it sounds like your's did as well so why the hell not.

Are all Americans this weird? :eek:

Dsr1205

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
let me be the first to say: wait till january when they update the mackbook pros to buy a replacement.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Good riddance to a PowerPC processor based Apple laptop. I hated every last one of those things. Innards designed with absolutely no forethought to the people who'd be forced to open and service them.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I would keep it just for the sake of it. It is still one of the best looking Macs. There aren't many Powerbooks left. All I see at university are unibodies and at most, the early 2008 laptops. A few years later, you could say that you had the last of the Powerbooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.