Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:47 PM   #1
CGDerupe
macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard OSX installation keeps failing...

Hello all,
So I've only had my macbook pro aluminum body for about 4 months and after downloading the new system update, my laptopl just started acting weird and then it would just keep freezing with the pinwheel for extended periods of time.

I've decided to verify and repair the disc, but to no avail, it didn't help. So, I backed up files in an external hard drive and erased my disc. However, after repeating to reinstall Snow Leopard at least 10 times, it keeps on telling me that it has failed to copy supported files. If I eject my installation DVD, it will just show up with a gray screen that has a folder and a question mark on it.

I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I should take it over to an Apple store to consult with a Genius...but it is far from where I live. Any easy step to step advice on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
CGDerupe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:50 PM   #2
acurafan
macrumors 6502a

have you checked to make sure the disc is not somehow scratched? did it come with original Leopard OS that you can try re-installing (aka was this the $29 SL disc)?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
CGDerupe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
have you checked to make sure the disc is not somehow scratched? did it come with original Leopard OS that you can try re-installing (aka was this the $29 SL disc)?
I have checked the disc and it is not scratched. The laptop did not come with a leopard OS disc since I got it particularly near the the release of snow leopard and that was the only disc.
CGDerupe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Mumford
macrumors regular

Since you're reinstalling anyway, try installing Leopard from the disc that came with the computer. That might pin down whether it's something wrong with the comp (specifically with the dvd drive) or something wrong with your SL disc.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help