Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pathumx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
I have a sandisk cruzer and i finally decided to uninstall the u3 software, so i copied all my files to a folder on my desktop and then used the removal tool. now i can't get some of the files back on. all of the loose files that i had on the flash drives went back, but i cannot get any of the folders that i had on my flashdrive back on. i used to get a -36 error, but after i reformatted my flash drive, now i get "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."
suggestions?

PseudoScifi

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Earth; United States
Sounds like your permissions are not set right. You have a few options, here are the two I like to use to get around permissions. Either take ownership of the file or use sudo to force the copy (cp command)

1. Open up terminal and use sudo cp source_file destination_file.
or

2. right click on the file(s) you want to copy, click on get info, open sharing and permissions, and set the permission to make you the owner of the document or file and make sure it is set to read and write.

pathumx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Sounds like your permissions are not set right. You have a few options, here are the two I like to use to get around permissions. Either take ownership of the file or use sudo to force the copy (cp command)

1. Open up terminal and use sudo cp source_file destination_file.
or

2. right click on the file(s) you want to copy, click on get info, open sharing and permissions, and set the permission to make you the owner of the document or file and make sure it is set to read and write.

unfortunately, i accidentally deleted the files i was trying to copy over somewhere between attempting to copy it to the flash drive and copying it to my other mac to try from there... so i can't test out your solutions. but i'm pretty sure when i was looking at the sharing and permission i was the owner and had read/write privileges . But now if this were to happen again, i know what to do. Thanks!

bluesdog

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
unfortunately, i accidentally deleted the files i was trying to copy over somewhere between attempting to copy it to the flash drive and copying it to my other mac to try from there... so i can't test out your solutions. but i'm pretty sure when i was looking at the sharing and permission i was the owner and had read/write privileges . But now if this were to happen again, i know what to do. Thanks!
If you have not overwritten the flash drive, it may be possible to recover some or even all your data, using the free photorec application.

I've used this in Linux and Windows

Mac OS X version here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10511792

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I don't understand - as of lately I've been getting that same error msg that OP has listed: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." BUT apparently only when trying to copy/move mp3s onto my USB drive. Movies, for example, don't cause any problems.

I've tried running a maintenance (which also includes repairing permissions) with OnyX, and even repaired the permissions once more just in case, but to no avail.

Can sb please help me what to do? I really don't understand why I still get the msg that the operation can't be completed because I don't have permission to access some of the items??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.