Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I have Pdanet 1.61 on my iPhone 3G. I've been using Pdanet since version 1.3.

I've noticed that while it works great, it seems to drain the battery something fierce.

I have it plugged into a wall charger, and with Wifi tethering the iPhone still drains the battery, though MUCH slower than if it was not plugged in.

I wonder if USB Tethering doesn't drain the battery as much.

Any thoughts?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
When tethering over WiFi you are using two power-hungry radio transmitters. If you switch to USB, you will cut out nearly half of that power drain. Also note that turning off the screen will save a lot of power.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
When tethering over WiFi you are using two power-hungry radio transmitters. If you switch to USB, you will cut out nearly half of that power drain. Also note that turning off the screen will save a lot of power.

Definitely agree. I use USB tethering on my 3GS and notice very little battery drain. My USB tethering has been activated by installing MyWi.

strikingviking

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
I had the same problem and discovered that there is an internal heat sensor that deactivates the charging when the phone gets too hot like while using pdanet. This may not be a factor in colder climates but here where room temps are generally 80 degrees, that is warm enough to cause a problem. Just set your phone on a cool surface like stone, marble or granite and there will be no more trouble with charging while using pdanet.

That sensor may be set for different temps in different phones which is why some people have an issue and others don't. BTW--am using a Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.