Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:26 PM   #1
thedirtyduo
macrumors member

Can I fix a corrupt QUICKTIME file?

I noticed today that a quicktime file never made it from LOG and Transfer to FCP all the way. The file is 13 gigs big. I don't have the original clip from my Canon Vixia HF20. I try to drop it into FCP and it says that it's "unknown file type"

Is there anyway to rescue this file and have it converted into a proper quicktime file?

thedirtyduo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:10 AM   #2
thedirtyduo
macrumors member

I found this website and I'm gonna see how it may turn out.

They want $169 for the repair.

I don't indorse or work for this company.
http://simplemoviex.com/

http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair.html
Old Dec 25, 2009, 09:18 AM   #3
jackerin
macrumors 6502a

See if VLC plays it, if it does you can use the advanced output feature to reencode.
jackerin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:13 AM   #4
thedirtyduo
macrumors member

I did that and got this message again.

mp4: MP4 plugin discarded (no moov box)

Hmm..
Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:49 PM   #5
thedirtyduo
macrumors member

Well with no luck anywhere else I used AeroQ's software and it worked.

FC had only transferred 12 min of the 60 minutes of the video but I was able to recover the first 12 minutes. The service was very fast and the software is very easy to use.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:28 PM   #6
FR0STY
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerin View Post
See if VLC plays it, if it does you can use the advanced output feature to reencode.
VLC WILL play anything, but that doesn't mean that it will turn out well on other programs, sites, etc. For example, it will (almost always) look terrible on say YouTube or an embedded file.
FR0STY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:45 AM   #7
greymfm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtyduo View Post
I noticed today that a quicktime file never made it from LOG and Transfer to FCP all the way. The file is 13 gigs big. I don't have the original clip from my Canon Vixia HF20. I try to drop it into FCP and it says that it's "unknown file type"

Is there anyway to rescue this file and have it converted into a proper quicktime file?

Here's a movie repair tool: http://grauonline.de/cmsimple2_6/en/...Repair_Utility
The tool works on most camera movie files and requires a non-broken sample file of the same camera to repair the corrupt file.
greymfm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:36 AM   #8
ToddJ
macrumors 6502

Has anyone found a cheaper solution? i have a video that I recorded with my iPhone 4, but it is corrupted.....I tried the demo version of the software from that last you company you mentioned, and it worked (it gave me an 8 second sample)...however, the video is less than a minute long and not worth paying close to $50 to repair it.....if anyone has any other solutions, i would greatly appreciate it...
ToddJ is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video