Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duskandsummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I really need help figuring this out!

I haven't dropped my phone nor have I spilled water on it!
recently got it from apple as a replacement for my old phone.

It is giving me a gray screen when it reboots and when it goes to my password screen it is in and out, gray lines and you can kind of see the image but not really..every button works fine, speakers everything on the phone works fine..its just an image problem.

So I tried blowdrying it to see if that was the problem..when I used super hot air..when the phone got buring hot..everything was normal the image is back...but once the phone starts to cool down..it is back to giving me this static image..its glitchy. The image is in and out..kind of like bad tv reception.

anyone have this problem or know what to do..I know apple won't give me another phone at least not for free.

oh also certain images work fine like my text messaging when i turn it on its side when its on the list of conversations..no glitch. Its really weird.

duskandsummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
i swear to God i didnt..I did it just to see if maybe because it was so cold outside that may of been the problem!

duskandsummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
okay i was reading through the forums and i might of found the problem? I think it was due to cold weather. the phone was fine until i went to my grandmas for christmas..I parked the car..walked to her house went inside..spend five minutes talking..look at my phone and the glitch started..progressively getting worse.

im gonna try to open it and see if the senor is going off..but if it is..why wouldn't condensation of an iphone be replaced..its not my fault its below freezing for the first time in a long time in Texas!

like I said everything works fine except the image problem, im gonna try to charge it..restore it..open it..before I go to the apple store I guess.

I've only had this new phone for a month tops maybe 3 weeks.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
I think something else is going on. I have used my iPhone in the snowy northeast, and have not had the problem with a dim screen after a couple of minutes next to my cheek.

Karma is a b1tch.

You wanted to buy a phone from a shady guy in a storefront somewhere.
You wanted to use T-Mobile.
You wanted involve your aunt in a scheme to break a contract and not pay for data. Your justification was that the big corporation deserves to be cheated because they have the $$$ and you don't.
Now you tell us that Apple replaced the phone, but you don't think that they will do it again.

I can tell you that Apple has given me a couple of different replacement iPhones when mine was defective.

If you have a legit iPhone with a legit AT&T contract, within 1 year or with AppleCare, your iPhone will be replaced if defective. Period. If your iPhone got wet, you can replace it for $199. If you damaged it yourself, you are on your own.

No sympathy for liars, cheaters and scammers on this forum.

By the way, don't open it up if you are trying for a replacement. It voids the warranty.

duskandsummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
first off its a legit iphone..but it is out of warranty. I am on at&t and my first phone just stopped working I got it refurbished. So apple replaced it even though it was out of warranty and water damaged.

NOW THIS PHONE..I have not done anything to it.

I opened it just to take a peek and put it back but now its just a complete gray screen..it still works all the buttons work just no screen.

im looking through the headphone jack and I can't tell if its pink. Its not a bright white light but I don't think its pink..its like a dim light.

so before you say anything about Karma you should check your facts first. The phone is out of warranty because well they stoped doing Apple Care..and I believe because this is a phone that THEY gave me as a replacement there is no reason why they shouldn't replace it if I did absolutely nothing to it! The End..End of Story.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
I based my facts on your post from October 23, 2009 you said you were dying for an iPhone like everyone else, “I found a guy selling iphone 3g 8gb for 349.99 unlocked and jailbroken” to put on the family's T-mobile account.

and

“I was thinking about having my aunt upgrade her phone on at&t…I just don't want her to end up with that data plan, can she say she didn't like the phone and they take the data plan off?”

So the way I understand it, you bought an used iPhone and it stopped working, you took it into Apple and they replaced it, although they had no obligation to do so. The replacement is no longer working and you want another replacement, even though Apple is no longer obligated to do it? And to further complicate it, you opened the iPhone, which as I understand it, voids the warranty.

Questions
1. Who is the "they" who stopped doing AppleCare?
2. Why did you open it just to check a sensor if you didn't do anything to get it wet?

A refurb iPhone that was three weeks old should have had some kind of warranty, but you may have made a big mistake by opening it.

That's Karma.

duskandsummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
how would they know if i opened it or not? for all they know it could of been opened from before.

i talked to tech support on the phone and the warranty on the phone is 40 days expired. He said from what it sounds like its a loose cable. That they will open it and if it is a loose cable they will replace it if I have the paper of the replacement..because he says he thinks that replacement phones have a 30day to 90day temp warranty.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
According to this http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

"Replacement phones have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone coverage, whichever is longer."

According to this warranty pdf
http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/070808_iphone_Warranty.pdf

"This warranty does not apply:...(f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);...

...Important: Do not open the hardware product. Opening the hardware product may cause damage that is not covered by this warranty. Only Apple or an authorized service provider should perform service on this hardware product...No Apple reseller, agent, or employee is authorized to make
any modification, extension, or addition to this warranty. "

duskandsummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Good to know but the error that my phone is experiencing was NOT by opening the phone. I have the paper for the 90day warranty. I already talked to an Apple tech and he says its a loose wire and a hardware problem that is covered by warranty and I will most likely get a free replacement because they will be very busy tomorrow and won't want to repair it.

Further more it is a display issue..the entire touch screen works, my texting works, my phone works, my apps work, my internet work..even my iPod on the phone works. I CAN STILL SHAKE TO SHUFFLE for crying out loud. There is nothing wrong with the phone besides the visual problem of a gray screen.

really I came here for help, not some guy trying to bring me down because he believes Karma should be served. Even though im on At&t.

worse comes to worse..I won't have an iPhone for a few weeks until I can raise the 200 dollars for my replacement. I still have until January 21st under the 90day warranty.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Ok, I'm not trying to bring you down. Forget karma.

Let me see if I understand.

Your family was on T-mobile in October.
You wanted an iPhone.
Now you have a new AT&T contract, after dumping T-mobile.
You apparently got a used iPhone sometime between October and December and switched to AT&T.
You are paying for AT&T internet because it's working on your iPhone.
You pay for AT&T texting because it's working on your iPhone.

This is not a challenge or anything else. It's just a question. I am curious about your method.

Why didn't you just get a $99 or $199 or $299 new iPhone when you signed up for AT&T and avoid all these warranty problems by getting a new iPhone with AppleCare?

duskandsummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
because I decided to just switch to my aunts bill to get the iPhone, and my boyfriend at the time gave me his old one because he upgraded to the 3GS. I was going to just use it for T-Mobile but then it would be less of a hassle to just have it on At&t..I wouldn't have to worry about all the jailbreak issues plus I would be on the same plan as many of my friends and it would be free to talk to them..so a cheaper bill essentially. I didn't even think about AppleCare and all that stuff until something happened to the phone..then I kicked myself for it.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
because I decided to just switch to my aunts bill to get the iPhone, and my boyfriend at the time gave me his old one because he upgraded to the 3GS. I was going to just use it for T-Mobile but then it would be less of a hassle to just have it on At&t..I wouldn't have to worry about all the jailbreak issues plus I would be on the same plan as many of my friends and it would be free to talk to them..so a cheaper bill essentially. I didn't even think about AppleCare and all that stuff until something happened to the phone..then I kicked myself for it.

It is a loose connection. I think you are in the $199 replacement now.

Can you still navigate to settings or is it obstructed? I would Erase All Settings and Content or at least restore in iTunes then take it to Apple Genius.

duskandsummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I restored and everything and then I took it. They just repaired it, it was a loose connection. It works fine now.

They were super busy so the guy just took my phone and took it to the back..didn't ask questions and just repaired it. He said their manager said to repair the phones that can be repaired and replace the ones that can regardless of warranty or not.

So if your phone ever effs up..go the day after Christmas lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.