Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
USA
I have an eMachines PS/2 keyboard that I have hooked up to my MacBook Pro with a PS/2 to USB adapter. The keyboard initially receives power I know because the three lights for numlock, caps lock and scroll lock all light up when I plug it in. However, I am not able to use the keyboard at all... is there anyway I would be able to use it with a download or something?

Thanks

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Try connecting the keyboard using the PS/2 to USB adapter, then reset your laptop (leaving the keyboard connected), and see if you can type with it after the reset.

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
USA
Try connecting the keyboard using the PS/2 to USB adapter, then reset your laptop (leaving the keyboard connected), and see if you can type with it after the reset.

That didn't work. Any other sugggestions?

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Chuck it in the bin and buy a usb keyboard. They are dirt cheap and will cost less in your time than messing around with an old, easily replaceable keyboard!

;)

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have to agree with everyone else. Yeah, living in a throw away day in age sucks, but you can get usb keyboards cheaper then you can get PS2 to USB adapters.

carlsmith

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
I'm with you SkyBell. I have a valuable mechanical keypad, so throwing it away and buying a cheap USB one is not really a solution. People have reported that some PS/2 to USB adapters do work out the box, no problem. We should aim to list a few, not just tell people to throw away their hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.