Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2004
A couple of years back, I bought a really awesome external hard drive from Googie Drives ( http://www.googiedrives.com ). It's the Googie Sandwich, and despite its funny name, it is probably the best looking external hard drive available PERIOD.

Now, it seems, the Googie website has been down for a while, their store website is gone, and they may have gone out of business. Well, I don't know if they will ever read this, but they had the best designs of anyone, and I will cherish my Googie drive until it dies.

(My original, the Googie V.1 died, and they sent me a replacement free of charge a few months back. Excellent support... The replacement was their even better Googie Sandwich V.2)

Rest in Peace, Googie. Here are some pictures to remember you by.

Lee Tom

Attachments

• googie1.jpg
    googie1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 174
  • googie2.jpg
    googie2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 158

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
LeeTom said:
My original, the Googie V.1 died, and they sent me a replacement free of charge a few months back. Excellent support... The replacement was their even better Googie Sandwich V.2

I hope you can still get support if they have gone out of business. Although, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I've never heard of the Googie Drives. Maybe that is part of the reason they went out of business - poor marketing.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
They don't appear to have a direct sales operation at the moment, but here is an alternate link to their Web pages, where you can find contact information.

Also, this is Jakob Hjort's general web site (Hjort is/was Googie's designer/owner).

avincent98122

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
LeeTom still around? Googie enclsoure question

I just found one of the enclosures at a local thrift store and despite the four bottom screws removed, I have not figured out a way to pop open the enclosure. None of the black side panels slide or move at all in any direction. I hesitate to take a jeweler’s screwdriver to pry the aluminum covers. Not sure the model as the sticker has practically rubbed off, but it has the round style four-pin port for the power brick and then two Firewire ports (not sure if 400 or 800).

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers!
Anthony in Seattle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.