Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:12 PM   #1
hit2cho
macrumors newbie

Will Apple replace my Macbook Pro's power adapter?

I've had the computer for over a year. It is currently insured with the Applecare. It seems like the adapter's cord is starting to show some normal wear-and-tear. It still works (i.e., still charging my computer), but I'm afraid that it will either rip or cause a short sometime. I've never dinged the charger. It just seems like the coiling made it come apart. See the picture below. Will Apple replace this under the warranty, or will I have to rake out $80 for a new one if this one gives way?

image: (http://imgur.com/PAGPB.jpg)

edit - I just got off the phone with an Apple rep, and he will be shipping me a new adapter. I'll just have to send him back the damaged one. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by hit2cho; Dec 26, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
hit2cho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit2cho View Post
It is currently insured with the Applecare.
Yes, they'll replace it. Visit your local Apple Store and they'll replace it on the spot. Or call AppleCare and they'll overnight a replacement adapter to you. Their number in the U.S. 1-800-275-2273.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accident, wear and tear, etc. They only cover defects in manufacturing.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:15 PM   #4
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

That doesn't look like normal wear and tear. I doubt they'll replace it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyonice View Post
Yes, they'll replace it. Visit your local Apple Store and they'll replace it on the spot. Or call AppleCare and they'll overnight a replacement adapter to you. Their number in the U.S. 1-800-275-2273.
Ok....they should replace it...that doesn't mean they will replace it. Sometimes the Geniuses at the Apple Store give you a hard time, so if you don't get it replaced there just call the number ziggy provided.

I had a similar problem a few years back. The Genius refused, but phone support sent me one via overnight Fedex.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro