Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 26, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
MattMK45
macrumors regular

Is there any way to convert a pata powerbook g4 to a sata connector

I'm hoping to buy a new hdd or of course an ssdfor my aging powerbook. It uses the pata connector as they do. Seeing as SATA hdds and ssds are cheaper, newer and faster I wondered whether it was possible to use a pata to sata converter to convert the drive setup to become a SATA interface. I think the only problem would be that it is rather crammed in the compartment but there might be some technical difficulties.

Therefore I would like to know if it is possible, worth doing and if anyone has done it and been successful.

Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2009, 03:40 PM   #2
jmazzamj
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to jmazzamj
Correct, it won't fit into the HD compartment. I suggest you to buy a RunCore IV, it ranges from 32 to 128 GB and I think it's the best drive available with a PATA interface. I Hope I helped.
jmazzamj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 03:51 PM   #3
maflynn

There's no way to "convert" a PATA connector or interface to a SATA interface. You'll need to purchase a PATA hard drive if you wish to install a HD in place of the optical drive.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
MattMK45
macrumors regular

thanks for the replies, i am aware of the ability to have an extra drive in place of the optical bay which is a well argued sacrifice, maybe an experiment i could do before i buy an intel machine later on. In that case thanks again

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs