Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJBro1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
So I wasn't able to use my iphone as a phone because I didn't want to be charged with data charges. I just found out that i could jaibreak it and install sbsettings and disable edge and 3g. I did this and put my sim card in and now there is a red dot over the phone icon and the voicemail icon. I tried calling myself on my house phone and it says that I'm not receiving calls at this time. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Well the iPhone uses data connection to do visual voicemail, so that's why the red dot is there. Not sure why it's not getting incoming calls though.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Assuming that you are not under contract for a data plan, you should just have your carrier block data. Much cleaner and more certain.

Also, we really can't trouble shoot unless you tell us more: what jailbreaking tool did you use? what carrier are you on? did you hacktivate or did you activate through iTunes?

JJBro1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Assuming that you are not under contract for a data plan, you should just have your carrier block data. Much cleaner and more certain.

Also, we really can't trouble shoot unless you tell us more: what jailbreaking tool did you use? what carrier are you on? did you hacktivate or did you activate through iTunes?
im not under a contract for a data plan, i used pwnagetool and im not sure what hacktivate means and I didn't activate it so i did neither.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
im not under a contract for a data plan, i used pwnagetool and im not sure what hacktivate means and I didn't activate it so i did neither.

Lol, or loosely rephrased, I had no idea what I was doing but carried on regardless .
Hacktivation allows you to unlock( or rather activate ) your phone using a simcard from a non-official carrier

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

If you used PwnageTool with the default settings, you hacktivated your phone. If you are are on an official carrier, this is the cause of your signal problems. You need to redo your jailbreak using Expert Mode in PwnageTool and unchecking the checkbox that says "activate." Then when you connect to iTunes after you restore it will be officially activated.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
So I wasn't able to use my iphone as a phone because I didn't want to be charged with data charges. I just found out that i could jaibreak it and install sbsettings and disable edge and 3g. I did this and put my sim card in and now there is a red dot over the phone icon and the voicemail icon. I tried calling myself on my house phone and it says that I'm not receiving calls at this time. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Well you disabled 3G and EDGE, with both turned off, you can't get phone service. :) Instead I would do as others suggested, hacktivate the iPhone (this does NOT unlock it but rather tricks the phone into it's activated state where you can use the device), use a SIM from a previous AT&T phone and then disable your data if needed by editing your APN settings. :)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Well you disabled 3G and EDGE, with both turned off, you can't get phone service. :) Instead I would do as others suggested, hacktivate the iPhone (this does NOT unlock it but rather tricks the phone into it's activated state where you can use the device), use a SIM from a previous AT&T phone and then disable your data if needed by editing your APN settings. :)

If he is on AT&T he should NOT hacktivate his phone. An AT&T phone should be activated with an AT&T SIM. He does not even need it jailbroken. He just needs to call AT&T and ask them to block data on his account.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
If he is on AT&T he should NOT hacktivate his phone. An AT&T phone should be activated with an AT&T SIM. He does not even need it jailbroken. He just needs to call AT&T and ask them to block data on his account.

Good to know then regarding not needing to hacktivate. :) I assume that after calling AT&T to block data on your old phone, that's when you place the SIM back in your iPhone?

While not necessary per se, the OP does however want to be jailbroken it seems. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.