Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
hi everyone.

how do i tell safari to open transmission and not azureus when clicking on a magnet link.

thank you very much!

tymmz

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
hi everyone.

how do i tell safari to open transmission and not azureus when clicking on a magnet link.

thank you very much!

tymmz

Edit: the steps are different when going from Azureus to Transmission than if you're just installing Transmission:

Bring up a terminal and run this command:
Code:
plutil -convert xml1 ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.launchServices.plist
then edit com.apple.launchServices.plist with any text editor. Search for the word magnet. You should find a block that looks like this:
Code:
<dict>
        <key>LSHandlerRoleAll</key>
        <string>[b]org.gudy.azureus2[/b]</string>
        <key>LSHandlerURLScheme</key>
        <string>magnet</string>
</dict>

Change it to
Code:
<dict>
        <key>LSHandlerRoleAll</key>
        <string>[b]org.m0k.transmission[/b]</string>
        <key>LSHandlerURLScheme</key>
        <string>magnet</string>
</dict>

Then type
Code:
plutil -convert binary1 ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.launchServices.plist
and reboot.

meganishaute

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
here's the answer!

I searched all around for this answer and then thought to go to preferences within transmission and sure enough there was a button that set transmission as the default for mirror links. Easy as that!

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I searched all around for this answer and then thought to go to preferences within transmission and sure enough there was a button that set transmission as the default for mirror links. Easy as that!
I'm on version 4.0.2 and I can't seem to find that option. Could you explain it in more detail?

thanks

dalbanese

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
I'm on version 4.0.2 and I can't seem to find that option. Could you explain it in more detail?

thanks

Preferences->General-> click "Set Default Application" next to "Accept Magnet Links"

I had no problem with this until, randomly (and these are the only recent computer use changes), I updated my phone to iOS 6 and backed up my computer with TimeMachine. Then Safari would not load the magnet links anymore. Clicked this and no problems.

Transmission 2.71

mhrob

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2004

Use RCDefaultApp to set file or protocol associations. It works like a charm.

------------
RCDefaultApp is a Mac OS X 10.2 or later preference pane that allows a user to set the default application used for various URL schemes, file extensions, file types, MIME types, and Uniform Type Identifiers

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Use RCDefaultApp to set file or protocol associations. It works like a charm.

------------
RCDefaultApp is a Mac OS X 10.2 or later preference pane that allows a user to set the default application used for various URL schemes, file extensions, file types, MIME types, and Uniform Type Identifiers

cheers, but that was three years ago...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.