Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Okay, so last week I received and installed my 64GB 1.8" LIF RunCore SSD made for MacBook Air Rev B and C's. I was less than enthused with the installation (no instructions, found very little instructions online for the Rev B or C); but I got over that and eventually figured it out.

I had problems with the included cloning software, when eventually resulted in having to restart the process three times due to the software either not making the drive bootable (even when it said it would be), and once when the clone was 95% done and then just decided that it needed to start over. So after all this hassle I did a clean Snow Leopard install, and then ported over from Migration Assistant due to my boot time being 2-2.5 minutes post RunCore install, regardless of dozens of PRAM resets. To make things even better, my old harddrive does not work with the included (very very cheaply made) HDD inclosure.

Now my problem is that if I close my computer without going into sleep or anything, I open it back up and it becomes un-useable. The screen is normal but when I click on any icon nothing happens and I have to reboot. When I reboot I get the folder with the question mark (which makes no sense because that means the computer doesn't know where to boot from when it has nearly a dozen times with this very drive). When this is happening I reset the PRAM, hold down the power button until I know it's off, and still nothing. Still that folder with the question mark. The shortest it has taken my MBA to recover from this is 15 minutes, the longest being 45 minutes. I 'fix' it by continuous PRAM resets along with computer restarts. Also, typically when I get it to start up after this ordeal it results in the same process in which the computer is un-useable and unresponsive.

Really, what is the deal here? What can I do to fix this?

At this point, it's very tempting just to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard and then sell the MBA with the RunCore, and go get a top of the line Windows laptop or get a 2.53GHz 13" MBP, which I had before I came to the MBA.

P.S: I ordered my drive from http://www.runcorestore.com within the last two weeks.

Thanks.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I've been very critical of RunCore for some of the same things you mentioned.

1) Lack of included instructions.

RunCore needs to provide details instructions on how to install their product into the intended computer such as the Macbook Air. Even a "Visit http://www.instructionshere.tld/folder/ for Macbook Air install instructions." in the packaging would be enough.

2) USB enclosure quality.

You can describe the USB enclosure quality in several ways. Quality, robust, well made, and easy to assemble wouldn't be among them.

With that said, it is a nice extra that RunCore includes at no extra cost. The quality could be better, but it is hard to complain about a free extra.

--

Have you contacted RunCore technical support regarding the problems you have experienced?

Have you posted on RunCore's official technical support forum at http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/?

I purchased a RunCore SSD from MyDigitalDiscount.com (128GB Pro IV) and have had no problems in my Macbook Air Rev. B (2,1). The problems you are experiencing might be due to a bad drive, bad firmware, poor installation, or just bad luck.

Contact RunCore and let us know if their technical support has improved. I've noticed them being much more responsive, but I haven't needed to contact them directly.

McDughf

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Great Britain
Hi Abyssgh0st, Sorry to hear about your problems - I hate it when my Mac goes Wrong.
Just A Quick thing you could try is when you actually do manage to get into OS X is to physically tell the computer which startup disk to use ( System Preferences --> Startup Disk --> Select Your Drive ). I know this sounds Oxymoronic as you only have one drive, but in the past I have always found this cures the Flashing Question mark Folder Problem.

Another thing you might try is holding down the [ Alt ] key when you hear the startup chime and physically telling the computer to start from the OS X Drive. Note that this is only temporary though, Just To try and Get You Into OS X Faster; the Startup Disk tip above is more permanent.

Barney

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Sorry to hear about your issues. But do contact runcore, so far by all accounts they have been very honest and helpful in their dealings with customers.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Use the stock LIF cable in the MBA with the tape on it that Apple used initially. Use the Runcore LIF cable in the USB enclosure. Problems solved, for me anyways. I think the LIF connection is "sensitive" and that we are all being too rough with it when removing it and replacing the new Runcore SSD. Also, Apple had a piece of tape on the stock LIF cable for a reason! It takes no force to remove it, hence "Low Insertion Force" name for the cable. Therefore tape is the cure.

I have identified the proper procedures to remove and replace a drive with the LIF cable. The stock LIF cable appears to just "fit" better in the MBA because it was initially installed and bent into place there. The Runcore LIF cable works fine too if aligned properly and use a piece of tape to secure, but it's smarter to just use the original LIF cable and small tape piece in the MBA.

I have been bashing Apple and OS X Snow Leopard, because both my runcore and stock SSDs have been problematic since I upgraded to OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2. However, I had either a loose or faulty LIF cable problem or it just needed a piece of tape as Apple initially used. Once I put the stock LIF cable in, with tape on it, in the Runcore SSD everything was groovy again! Once I put the Runcore LIF cable in the USB enclosure, it worked PERFECTLY.

So instructions could have avoided all of this for us all. I have lost many hours of work and time dealing with this issue, and this frustration could have all been avoided had I just replaced the stock LIF cable with the tape Apple initially used to secure it in place.

I do agree, the Runcore needs both written and video instructions. I am in the process of writing an instruction sheet and recording instructional videos. If I can get something for my time, I will make them available for all who buy a Runcore SSD or anyone who requests instructions from me.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
. . . If I can get something for my time, I will make them available for all who buy a Runcore SSD or anyone who requests instructions from me.

Scottsdale - we all appreciate you very much for all you've done for the MBA community. I'm considering the total splurge of upgrading the stock SSD in my Rev. B MBA with a Runcore. Sometimes I have hands of steel, though, so would appreciate any instructions/videos you might provide.

Thanks again,

YoungTurk

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Just to clarify-

Somehow I fixed the problem I was having in my OP, literally just went back and forth re-inserting drives, and after like the 12th re-install of the HDD it finally showed up in Disk Utility.

But I've decided to punt my MBA so to speak; it's listed on eBay and the RunCore has been returned for a full refund. Got my refurb 21.5" iMac today.

p1985401

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Use the stock LIF cable in the MBA with the tape on it that Apple used initially. Use the Runcore LIF cable in the USB enclosure. Problems solved, for me anyways. I think the LIF connection is "sensitive" and that we are all being too rough with it when removing it and replacing the new Runcore SSD. Also, Apple had a piece of tape on the stock LIF cable for a reason! It takes no force to remove it, hence "Low Insertion Force" name for the cable. Therefore tape is the cure.

I have identified the proper procedures to remove and replace a drive with the LIF cable. The stock LIF cable appears to just "fit" better in the MBA because it was initially installed and bent into place there. The Runcore LIF cable works fine too if aligned properly and use a piece of tape to secure, but it's smarter to just use the original LIF cable and small tape piece in the MBA.

I have just bought a runcore ssd and have been experiencing the exact same problem.. spent well over 10 hours these past 2 days trying to get it working..

Scottsdale, how did you manage to plug the original apple cable in? the cable is too wide for my drive and theres no way it'll go into the slot..

Conceicao

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
runcore installation instructions

I do agree, the Runcore needs both written and video instructions. I am in the process of writing an instruction sheet and recording instructional videos. If I can get something for my time, I will make them available for all who buy a Runcore SSD or anyone who requests instructions from me.

Hi Scottsdale, have you actually proceeded with this announced project of yours?
I am in pain with my MBA rev b/Runcore. Could you please help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.