Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:54 AM   #1
The Dimak
macrumors newbie

Exclamation iPhone 3GS won't turn on after jailbreak

I just bought a new iPhone 3GS, it came with 3.1.2 firmware. I tried to jailbreak it with BlackRa1n RC1 (Don't know if I did the right thing), at first everything was alright, but when the phone was supposed to be rebooted, it just got stuck. It's as if the phone has 0 battery power, I tried turning it on, pressing the power button and the home button for 10 secs etc...

Please help me, I don't know what to do. Can I at least reinstall the original firmware so that the warranty wouldn't be canceled?

ps. iTunes recognizes the phone, but can't tell me the version, model etc...
The Dimak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:57 AM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

To re-install the original firmware, power it on in DFU mode (link). Unless you get the pop-up indicating that iTunes detected a phone in recovery mode (or if you're running an unlocking tool, and it recognizes the phone as the same), you DID NOT do it correctly. If that happens, re-read the directions and try it again.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:09 AM   #3
The Dimak
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
To re-install the original firmware, power it on in DFU mode (link). Unless you get the pop-up indicating that iTunes detected a phone in recovery mode (or if you're running an unlocking tool, and it recognizes the phone as the same), you DID NOT do it correctly. If that happens, re-read the directions and try it again.
And if I manage to reinstall the original firmware, can I use my iPhone again?
If not, can I get it fixed without traces of the jailbreak, so that my guarantee doesn't expire?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dimak View Post
And if I manage to reinstall the original firmware, can I use my iPhone again?
That would be the point, yes. People talk about permanently "bricking" their iPhones with jailbreaking tools... I wouldn't worry about this too much. It's almost never actually true -- just exaggeration. You should be able to get it working again via DFU mode. Once it works, you can try the jailbreaking again if you wish.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
The Dimak
macrumors newbie

Thank you, everything worked out perfectly!
I think I'm gonna try jailbreaking again, but try using the correct software this time...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:15 PM   #6
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dimak View Post
Thank you, everything worked out perfectly!
I think I'm gonna try jailbreaking again, but try using the correct software this time...
Be aware that if your phone has the new version of iBoot you will have a tethered jailbreak. I'm guessing this was the problem the first time. Read more about it here.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
idevSteve
macrumors member

Should be using Blackra1n RC3
idevSteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 03:40 PM   #8
dhlizard
macrumors G3

I also suspect operator error due to failure to complete research !

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:45 PM   #9
croy
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to croy Send a message via Yahoo to croy
ok, so my iPhone 3gs has the Blackra1n jailbreak performed on it. Today my iPhone started off 100% & dropped to 0% is roughly 3 hours. So once I was back home I tried plugging my iPhone into my mac to to a hard reset, got nothing. I then tried to end DFU mode multiple times, but still no luck.

What can I do now? Am I stuck with a broken iPhone or can I send this back to apple/rogers without then finding out it was jailbreak?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:43 PM   #10
DaisyLove
macrumors newbie

You have to use BlackRa1n to boot it up everytime...
DaisyLove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:50 AM   #11
Vandam500
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLove View Post
You have to use BlackRa1n to boot it up everytime...
Just don't let the battery die...simple as that.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:57 AM   #12
topserve
macrumors newbie

i also used blackra1 to break my iphone (3g) - & now iīm haveing the same problem- it canīt be turned on anymore- the phone trys and trys it again but stucks each time-

- now my problem: i can not use your linke because my sleep button is not working for a couple of months- so what do you think i can do next?
THANKS already!
topserve is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks