Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Dimak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I just bought a new iPhone 3GS, it came with 3.1.2 firmware. I tried to jailbreak it with BlackRa1n RC1 (Don't know if I did the right thing), at first everything was alright, but when the phone was supposed to be rebooted, it just got stuck. It's as if the phone has 0 battery power, I tried turning it on, pressing the power button and the home button for 10 secs etc...

Please help me, I don't know what to do. Can I at least reinstall the original firmware so that the warranty wouldn't be canceled?

ps. iTunes recognizes the phone, but can't tell me the version, model etc...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
To re-install the original firmware, power it on in DFU mode (link). Unless you get the pop-up indicating that iTunes detected a phone in recovery mode (or if you're running an unlocking tool, and it recognizes the phone as the same), you DID NOT do it correctly. If that happens, re-read the directions and try it again.

The Dimak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
To re-install the original firmware, power it on in DFU mode (link). Unless you get the pop-up indicating that iTunes detected a phone in recovery mode (or if you're running an unlocking tool, and it recognizes the phone as the same), you DID NOT do it correctly. If that happens, re-read the directions and try it again.

And if I manage to reinstall the original firmware, can I use my iPhone again?
If not, can I get it fixed without traces of the jailbreak, so that my guarantee doesn't expire?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
And if I manage to reinstall the original firmware, can I use my iPhone again?

That would be the point, yes. People talk about permanently "bricking" their iPhones with jailbreaking tools... I wouldn't worry about this too much. It's almost never actually true -- just exaggeration. You should be able to get it working again via DFU mode. Once it works, you can try the jailbreaking again if you wish.

The Dimak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Thank you, everything worked out perfectly!
I think I'm gonna try jailbreaking again, but try using the correct software this time...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Thank you, everything worked out perfectly!
I think I'm gonna try jailbreaking again, but try using the correct software this time...

Be aware that if your phone has the new version of iBoot you will have a tethered jailbreak. I'm guessing this was the problem the first time. Read more about it here.

croy

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
ok, so my iPhone 3gs has the Blackra1n jailbreak performed on it. Today my iPhone started off 100% & dropped to 0% is roughly 3 hours. So once I was back home I tried plugging my iPhone into my mac to to a hard reset, got nothing. I then tried to end DFU mode multiple times, but still no luck.

What can I do now? Am I stuck with a broken iPhone or can I send this back to apple/rogers without then finding out it was jailbreak?

topserve

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
i also used blackra1 to break my iphone (3g) - & now i´m haveing the same problem- it can´t be turned on anymore- the phone trys and trys it again but stucks each time-

- now my problem: i can not use your linke because my sleep button is not working for a couple of months- so what do you think i can do next?
THANKS already!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.