Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MariekeFJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Hi all, new here, and new to MAC. Got a 27' iMac from hubby for Christmas. I run an ecommerce business, small, albeit profitable. I'm running it from my old 2004 SONY VAIO WINDOWS XP.

I'm really trying to make the switch work, but so far I have completely and totally stranded. My old SONY is out performing the iMAC. Seriously?????? OK, so I obviously need help. I have the 1 to 1, and had 1 session and that was laughable won't go into that for now.

All help is appreciated, I feel like I have gone back to the stone age, that MUST be because I just am looking in the wrong places. So I'm going to post a couple of questions and hopefully you guys can help me.

First and foremost. There has to be a way to increase the text size of that box up top. I can't read it (where it says Finder etc). The apple store guy told me that the only way to do that is the reduce the resolution. I find that hard to believe. That is so user unfriendly.

Thanks in advance for the help, it is most appreciated!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
He is right, the only way to increase the font size (easily) of the top menu bar (top menu bar = box on top) is to decrease the resolution.
What is your resolution set to now? Go to System Preferences > Displays > and then the resolutions are listed there.

Now really? Your 27" iMac is underperforming your Sony VAIO from 2004? I find this impossible and likely attributed to your Sony VAIO and Win XP being familiar and the iMac and OS X being foreign. You'll likely (hopefully) change your tune in a matter of days if you stick with it. If not, return it and buy another Sony (who has a very nice all-in-one).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ the problem there is that she is new to macs and I'm not sure that is a user-friendly tool ... is it?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Firstly, your old Sony Vaio is not outperforming your iMac.

What is happening is the typical "Switcher" problem, where you are so used to Windows and everything that goes with it, that OS X is completely alien to you.

Unless you stick with it and learn as you go along, you will get scunnered and you will give up on the Mac and OS X. My Father-in-Law detested the Mac when I got him to switch, he just couldn't get his head round OS X after years on Windows.

Now though, some 8 months on, he swears by the Mac and OS X and says he will never go back.

Give it time, have patience, and enjoy your new iMac.

MariekeFJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, isn't that dissappointing?! I really hope to get things on the road, as I specifically wanted a MAC to improve performance, but so far I'm only running into things the MAC can not do, and Windows can. I can't believe it, I'm totally stunned. It is like Windows is running in a field tripping over branches and twisting your ankles in holes, while the MAC is like being in a 4x4 padded room, you can barely move. Text size is my first issue, there are so many more.

I choose MAC because I do a lot of photo editing, and video editing. Above the website stuff. In my 1-2-1 session the guy eventually said that I would need the Adobe programs to do what I'm currently doing (that package is $1600)?! THAT is not what I had planned. I can not get over that.

I just want to make this work. I'm going through all the tutorials when I can, and I have another session scheduled, because this can't be the truth.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yeah, isn't that dissappointing?! I really hope to get things on the road, as I specifically wanted a MAC to improve performance, but so far I'm only running into things the MAC can not do, and Windows can. I can't believe it, I'm totally stunned. It is like Windows is running in a field tripping over branches and twisting your ankles in holes, while the MAC is like being in a 4x4 padded room, you can barely move. Text size is my first issue, there are so many more.

I choose MAC because I do a lot of photo editing, and video editing. Above the website stuff. In my 1-2-1 session the guy eventually said that I would need the Adobe programs to do what I'm currently doing (that package is $1600)?! THAT is not what I had planned. I can not get over that.

I just want to make this work. I'm going through all the tutorials when I can, and I have another session scheduled, because this can't be the truth.

Can you be more specific as to what you did in Windows that you cannot do on a Mac and if you're doing design and video in Windows, what apps were you using? My guess if you were doing any serious design or video editing then you weren't using freebie programs for windows and that you were likely using Corel, Adobe, or similar (expensive) suites.

Second, I think your assessment is a bit off base in that (as said) you are new to this and you're reacting in such a way that suggests you're unwilling to learn and move from the mentality that windows is better. If you feel this way then install windows on your Mac and keep it for the looks or return the Mac and just buy that Sony I spoke of above.

I will also say this, if you go to System Preferences > Universal Access you'll see what they offer for seeing impaired people like you. I hope that you at least try some of the suggestions given to you instead of flaming OS X because eventually it will start to look like you're just trying to get a negative reaction to your thoughts on OS X.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you take 15 minutes to learn it, you can be more efficient on OS X.

Macs also don't contain these "pc features":
viruses. inexplicable slow downs, registery problems, etc.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Unless you have a 2004 Sony VAIO running XP. That seems to be the mecca computer.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Actually...

What you're looking for is called Resolution Independence. It makes everything scale independent of the screen resolution (so you don't have to adjust the resolution to make stuff larger). That was supposed to be implemented in 10.4, but only a developer preview was included, and you needed developer tools to use it. 10.5 and 10.6 didn't add anything more, so it's basically unusable.

As for a $1600 Adobe suit, what programs were you using? You can use the GIMP on OS X, which is free... and there are a few MS paint-esque programs that you can download... and that's about it.

Cyberduck is a free FTP program, but once again, there's nothing built in like with Windows.

To generalize, OS X is for people who need it for a specific reason (such as Final Cut, which doesn't run on Windows) or for people who can not use Windows without junking it up with trojans, viruses, or malware. If you do not fit into one of those two categories, there's probably no reason to struggle to use a mac.

You're right. They have these "OS X features":
Random beachballs, trojans, account deletion bugs, incompatibility between releases, missing OS elements like resolution independence or an uninstaller, suxposé, etc.

Was your post even at all constructive, or does it just serve to try to belittle those who happily use Windows, such as myself?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Those same Adobe programs, called the Adobe Creative Suite, are the same price on both the PC and Mac.

You get different "tiers" of Adobe Creative Suite's, each tailored to different fields such as Web Design, Digital Photography, Animation, etc. One "tier" will include Dreamweaver and Flash, another will include In Design or Illustrator, while there is a "Master" suite which includes them all. Again, though the price of these suites is expensive regardless of whether you use a Mac or a PC.

So that point is irrelevant.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Text size is my first issue, there are so many more.

And the next 3 are? If they are real issues, folks here will say and you'll just go back to Windows quickly. I switched 9 months ago, after a couple of annoying weeks where I tried to do stuff 'the windows way" on Mac, surprisingly that didnt work well, and then decided to do it the Mac way by learning, and I wouldnt go back. YMMV.

Your messages though give the feel of someone who is putting forward a biased view as a reason for going back to Windows (which is fine if thats wwhat you want to do but no need to make an excuse about it) , for example, there is no way on earth you are doing stuff on XP with built in software, that would cost $1600 on a Mac. So maybe you have some applications on Windows you bought that you really like? In which case, first check their equivalents or teh same are available on mac, or if you want a new computer just like teh old one, well, take the Mac back and just buy a new PC with Win 7 on it instead. Though you had better check that your Win XP apps will work on Win 7 as well.

MariekeFJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
(I'm also looking at the things given here and the tutorials, while running an albeit slow, business day, so please bare with me.)

Totally agree on the faults of Windows, hence I want to move on.

I run Adobe CS3 web indesign illustrator premier audition etc

Will keep that tinker tool! Thanks a bunch.

Did look @ universal access, but in order to change contrast, which is worth giving a try, it has some strange (as in I haven't seen those ;)) characters, and I can't find those on my keyboard, so not sure how to change them.

I'm playing around with the resolutions, trying to figure out which one is best for me. It is almost like I need the screen to be further away for me. I just get a headache looking at it after a while.

I sit behind my comp for hours on end, so can't have headaches develop :D.

Some of the other issues I have discovered, but haven't found a solution to are the

Mail: I have several folders on the server, inbox obviously, junk (when people want to return an item sometimes they end up in that folder, so I CAN NOT miss out on that, also what people order through AMAZON goes in that folder, no matter how many times I say this is not junk), backordered, several folders for supplies with current orders and shipping info etc. Each business has their own related email account, so this applies to all of them. Right now, these boxes are in all weird order (not necessarily associated with the correct email, not sure how that happened), plus they are not updating. They are not syncing with the server, so that is an issue I need to address. No emails = no business = no money to pay the bills ;)

Contacts: in the file transfer ALL my contacts were transferred into 1 file (with currently 17,688 vCards), that used to be my 'personal', 'business 1', business 2' separated address books. Now you can of course go through the individual cards and re-sort them, I'd be delighted to find a volunteer for that! Because honestly, I don't know by heart who is associated with business 1 and who with business 2. I do know the personals of course ;)

So the photo editing and the video editing.

Quickbooks :( Though I can transfer my file easily to the new MAC, because of the volume, I upload my company file to my accountant at the end of the month to pay sales tax etc etc. I apparently can't do that with the QB for MAC, but somebody @ intuit told me there is a patch for that in the works, so we'll probably be able to get over that shortly.

And yes, I am frustrated. This is supposed to make my business run smoother and easier, and so far it isn't. I AM disappointed.

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2009
Cape Town
I'm really interested to see what MariekeFJ says she was doing on XP that OS X is not able to do...

I was quite an advanced Windows user before changing to Mac in 2007 and I certainly will never look back! Although it takes a bit of time to get to know the OS X system it is better for me in so many ways, and I am a user who relies heavily on graphics, photo editing, video editing etc. My last computer was a Sony Vaio and I know that some of the bundled software that came with the computer included a scaled down version of Adobe Premier as well as some photo editing software, but I am confident that there are Apple replacement programs that will more than cover MariekeFJ's needs.

And trust me the OS X system is far more stable, more durable and of course isn't blighted by all the virus's, trojans and malware that virtually crippled my old XP system. And perhaps a good way of justifying some software purchases can be offset by the cost of Antivirus programs, time wastage etc...

Good luck and I hope we can help you properly once you have explained exactly what the problems are (Besides the small font size on the menu).

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
This is supposed to make my business run smoother and easier, and so far it isn't. I AM disappointed.

This isn't going to work out for you. :eek:
The Mac was a bad choice for you. What you need is a Windows PC that will have you in your comfort zone asap.
If you are using this to run your business I appreciate that you have zero time to get used to a new way of doing things… I am not saying for a moment that the Macs won't be the better option for you in the long run… but you do need some patience and also the understanding that the Mac OS is different from Windows. And some people just do not "get" Macs.

OP, just return the Mac… get a new PC (running Windows 7) and get on with your business.

It's going to save you a lot of pain and anguish…

Some marriages just aren't meant to be. :)

Edit: Not saying this is the OP's case, but:
I see this so often…
People get so used to "a certain way" of running things with their computers (this applies to Macs as well. ;))
You get some running Windows 95 on a clapped out 386 with 20 Megs of Ram the past 15 years, with software from the late '90s and then they are horrified to find the software not available as a Mac version…

MariekeFJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Because I do so much editing everybody kept on telling me how great that would work on the MAC and that the MAC built in features would be just what I needed. Well what they are is nothing more then really basic stuff that you can also do with the basic window features. When I showed the apple guys some of my work, they said that no matter what I would still need Adobe.

And I have a budget, I could have chosen the new VAIO or something of that kind, and keep on running CS3, or switch to MAC, and I choose the later because of the stability etc.

No matter how I would wish, CS4 would never run on the VAIO. The recent updates on XP have made every thing slow.

So yes, I am frustrated and disappointed. I have some money to spend, bought what I was advised as to being the right thing for me, and it is falling short.

And be realistic. Changing font size is so basic, the fact that that is missing, that is a flaw. That is not being resistant to change, I have no money to change back, so I have to make this work.

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2009
Cape Town
If you already own a PC version of an adobe program you can convert it to mac, here's what you do:

Write to support, telling them, that you have a valid licence and you want to switch to a mac.

They will need proof of purchase of the full version (!) and all upgrades that apply (see below for details)

They will send you a LOD (Letter of destruction), where yo have to confirm, that you have destroyed the old license along with all CDs and so forth.

You'll receive the new license and CD (or probably have to download it).

For your mail problem you can try adding the address of the mail that is being junked to your address book and then telling mail that it is not junk - this should work (I personally still prefer to use Entourage the MS Office email App and I don't get this problem at all).

Will try to get you some answers on your other questions (Sorry I know nothing about Quickbooks). What format did you save your contacts into? One quick solution here is to sync all your contacts online (you should anyway as a backup) to a site such as Plaxo or Gmail and then you can easily keep them in sync with your new Mac (I don't know if you still have your VAIO and can still do this).

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
And yes, I am frustrated. This is supposed to make my business run smoother and easier, and so far it isn't. I AM disappointed.

With all due respect, you don't seem to be taking on board what people are saying here.

You cannot, under any circumstances, expect to switch on a system you've never used before, and have it do all the wonderful things you've HEARD it can do. You need to do those things for yourself, using the system.

Until you have a handle on OS X, you WILL feel isolated and somewhat let down because you are not using the Mac, you're still trying to work the "Windows way", which is normal so soon after switching.

What baffles me somewhat is that in one post you bemoaned the cost of the Adobe software required for your work, baulking at the "$1600" price tag. However, in the next post you mention that you already run Adobe software on your Sony Vaio ... so I would presume you knew the costs involved.

As others have said, there are ways to switch your license for your Adobe software and you don't necessarily need to have the latest software, CS4, right now do you?

To me, the Mac is not disappointing you. You are merely disappointing yourself because you have "bought into the hype" so to speak, and have expected this machine to come flying out the box and do everything for you.

A great computer is only as good as the person operating it.

As others have also commented, it may be in your best interest to return the iMac and use the refund on a top of the range Windows 7 system. Although, on the flip side, you could always buy Windows and install it on your iMac via the provided Boot Camp application and run a native Windows machine. That way you could take advantage of the specs in the iMac, run the latest version of Windows, and boot into OS X at your leisure to learn the OS until such a time as you're more comfortable with it.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Mail: I have several folders on the server, inbox obviously, junk (when people want to return an item sometimes they end up in that folder, so I CAN NOT miss out on that, also what people order through AMAZON goes in that folder, no matter how many times I say this is not junk), backordered, several folders for supplies with current orders and shipping info etc. Each business has their own related email account, so this applies to all of them. Right now, these boxes are in all weird order (not necessarily associated with the correct email, not sure how that happened), plus they are not updating. They are not syncing with the server, so that is an issue I need to address. No emails = no business = no money to pay the bills ;)

First off, I can't say whether or not the mac will help your business run smoother in the long run, but you should accept that switching to the mac will present some bumps because there will be a learning curve. A computer no matter who makes it isn't going to be a magic wand. Give it time.

I picked up this extract from your post because I'm trying to work out what kind of setup you are running. Is this IMAP or POP? With mail you can move your folders wherever you want to, just drag them. I guess you've worked out mail rules (mail-preferences-rules). You need to get the syntax right on those so they behave the way you want. Also, Mail 'learns' what is junk and what's not through you assigning junk and not junk. To begin with, you'll need to check your junk folder, assign good mail a 'not junk,' and drag the messages to the appropriate folder (rules will help sort some of this out). I can be more helpful on this front if you provide more info.

As for the video editing, I'm guessing your friends had imovie in mind??

edit: I just wanted to add that I'm having a hard time working out what it is you are having trouble doing. Could you pose a specific problem and then see what solutions we could come up with for you?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Did look @ universal access, but in order to change contrast, which is worth giving a try, it has some strange (as in I haven't seen those ;)) characters, and I can't find those on my keyboard, so not sure how to change them.

The key there: "so far", as others have said in so many words.

Those "funny" characters:
⌘ = command
⌃ = control
⌥ = option
⇧ = shift
⇪ = caps lock
⇥ = Tab Key
⎋ = Escape Key
⏏ = Eject Key
⌫ = delete (the one above the return key)
⌦ = forward delete (the one in the page up/down/home/end cluster)
⌧ = clear (???)
⏎ = return

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Because I do so much editing everybody kept on telling me how great that would work on the MAC and that the MAC built in features would be just what I needed. Well what they are is nothing more then really basic stuff that you can also do with the basic window features. When I showed the apple guys some of my work, they said that no matter what I would still need Adobe.

And I have a budget, I could have chosen the new VAIO or something of that kind, and keep on running CS3, or switch to MAC, and I choose the later because of the stability etc.

No matter how I would wish, CS4 would never run on the VAIO. The recent updates on XP have made every thing slow.

So yes, I am frustrated and disappointed. I have some money to spend, bought what I was advised as to being the right thing for me, and it is falling short.

And be realistic. Changing font size is so basic, the fact that that is missing, that is a flaw. That is not being resistant to change, I have no money to change back, so I have to make this work.

Your Adobe programs will run nearly the same on a Mac, this should not be slowing you down. There was a time when I would have said a Mac was better for creative work, but PCs really caught up and I did a tremendous amount of creative work on a PC long before moving to a Mac. I also earned a decent second income doing it on a PC and ironically when I turned to a Mac I stopped.

The point being is that yes, you still need Adobe. If you work in Adobe in Windows you will need it for your Mac. Call Adobe and ask them what the exchange program is for your suite, they're usually willing to swap install discs with you.

CS4 no running in Windows is ********. Sorry OP but you're 100% wrong as I have successfully ran CS4 on a home grown windows box and done it quite well. It could be your computer, the 2004 VAIO, that prevented you from running CS4 efficiently. FWIW, your new iMac will run CS4 ergo your statement about the 2004 VAIO out performing the iMac 27" is hereby debunked.

As a businesswoman myself I have to admit that I cannot see how moving from windows to OSX would have made your business run better, especially if you're putting so much stock in the fact that you need to learn an entire new OS. Also, Win 7 ... is going to be similar to learning a new OS, trust me. Some parts will look familiar, but others will be as foreign as OS X. If I relied on income from a business I would not switch to a new OS without working on the two OS's side by side first.

I think what people are saying is right, this is not a marriage meant to be. It seems as though you'd rather complain and tell people what Apple has said instead of reading what sage advice is being handed to you. Unfortunately, no amount of money is going to make up for this venture falling short and what is falling short is not your new computer, it's you. Regrettably this is what many people go through when they enter into a new world of computing, whether they came from windows to a mac or mac to windows, and put too much stock in just knowing what to do straight out of the box. Not everyone is capable of just figuring it out. Sometimes patience and perseverance outweighs the amount of money you have to spend. If you read any part of this then I hope you pay more attention to the items in bold.

lomolomo

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2006
Earth

If you plan to use the address book, export your contacts in 3-4 steps, so export first the business 1 and add it to address book. Create a folder called "Business 1" and add all contacts to that folder, repeat this until you have imported all your contacts categories....

Contacts: in the file transfer ALL my contacts were transferred into 1 file (with currently 17,688 vCards), that used to be my 'personal', 'business 1', business 2' separated address books. Now you can of course go through the individual cards and re-sort them, I'd be delighted to find a volunteer for that! Because honestly, I don't know by heart who is associated with business 1 and who with business 2. I do know the personals of course ;)

If you use the mail app you can have several email accounts with separate inboxes, plus you can make your own filtering systems..
click mail ->preferences -->rules -->and then make a new rule...

So the photo editing and the video editing.
Whoever told you that a mac can run CS features right out of the box screwed you over pretty bad, mac does more right out of the box than a PC but never to the degree of the Creative Suite....

Quickbooks :( Though I can transfer my file easily to the new MAC, because of the volume, I upload my company file to my accountant at the end of the month to pay sales tax etc etc. I apparently can't do that with the QB for MAC, but somebody @ intuit told me there is a patch for that in the works, so we'll probably be able to get over that shortly.
Don't know that one, sorry....
-

MariekeFJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
WOW - this is definitely a 'split' group. One hand really helpful (hugging Jon-Luke amongst others) whereas some get hostile for me not implementing a suggestion made within the previous hour. Making personal statements like 'it's not the computer, it is the person'. WOW, that is all I can say about that. And just saying that that marriage isn't meant to work, when I stated I will not return. That doesn't mean I can't state that I'm disappointed. You do need to realize that I put hard earned savings into this, and then to learn to have to spend an additional $1600 (where ever that may come from), ie double what you had intended to spent almost, that is tough.

I am definitely going to contact Adobe about the change over. That would be awesome. My original choice was going to be either a new VAIO with transferring CS3, or a MAC. A 3rd option would be to 'attempt' CS4 on my old computer. I think that would have been computer suicide, like a said in a previous post the recent upgrades have caused issues, and not sure the stability would 'increase'. LOL, that could be quite the party :eek: not sure I would want to be invited to that one!

And yes, I was told by multiple people that the MAC basic iLife would be just fine for me. My hubby went to the Apple store and asked and they said that that would easy and a non issue, they told him I would be glad to get rid of the complexity. I know now that that is the biggest piece of BS, and when I came to the store and was 'introduced' to the software and started asking questions they were like, you need Adobe to do that. Well, that is not what I signed up for. I had basically $2000 to spend, that would either be a PC with keeping the software, a MAC with their basics and some additional software (quickbooks), or purchase CS4 (that option never really played but just for correctness sake will put it there).

Now I don't think or expect that CS on Windows or Mac would be much different. Now that I know that I can possibly chance over, I'm all good!

I did go in with expectations that both OS & Windows 7 would have a learning curve.

And hubby asked if QB on MAC and PC was the same, he was told yes, it wasn't till it was installed and I was transferring that I came across issues with the accountants copy. Not that the people in the Apple store would have known such as small little detail. So no blame there. And Intuit says they have a fix in the make, so who knows, that may be resolved within time. And like I said I'll figure a way around that till then.

The mail is the biggest issue for me right now, and that is why I can not put the old computer away. I have to fix that, until then I will need (*&)&*)(*& Outlook. I'm going to look into the above mentioned solutions, but I am running a business, and I can't just stop that and instantly do what is posted. I AM looking at this thread and every minute/second I can I'm trying to figure this out and see how to implement it. I am appreciative of this, as the guys in the store and on the phone couldn't get it to work for me just yet.

The contact solution seems easy enough. I have 2 external hard drives where I have stored all important files on, and it is relatively easy to switch the plug ;) Perhaps I should do that first.

AS for the mailboxes being all over the place, it baffles me, that is going to take time to straighten that. I think I should start a separate thread for that :), I'll copy/paste when I get to that the info that is in here, and what the results were.

Must run to the post office now, before they close, have some last minute packages. Thanks for the help so far!

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
honestly, it looks like you'll be better off with a pc (which is fine).

i've owned a mac for a little over a year now. while thats not a long length of time, its certainly enough for me to spot the limitations of mac osx. windows 7 is BY FAR much better than snow leopard.

if you need the adobe suite programs, photoshop 64-bit will run faster on a 64-bit pc than on a mac. mac doesn't even have a 64-bit version of photoshop yet. completely laughable situation i know, considering macs were once the defacto choice in this field. now pc's are better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.