Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I didn't see a significant enough increase in speed to justify the switch from safari to chrome.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Whats the verdict?
Safari and Chrome are both WebKit-based browsers. The easiest way for one to be faster than the other is to remove functionality. Until the most recent public version of Chrome, it lacked significant features that I expect in a browser. One of the older feature-challenged development versions of Chrome was benchmarked in the tests mentioned above.

shinystarlet

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2009
New York
I have tried both plus Firefox. And I really enjoy Safari. Plus Chrome kept asking me for permission and making sure I really wanted to read the NY Times(I hate that, my browser should not behave like my mother)

Safari is superior to all. And I cannot appreciate a speed difference.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Safari is faster than Chrome, but only by a hair. It's more full featured than Chrome so hence why Safari is my main browser.

Firefox, although not part of the OP, is roughly 3-4 times slower than Safari overall w/ any add-ons. Once you add on the add-ons, the speed tanks like a rock in the air.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Firefox, although not part of the OP, is roughly 3-4 times slower than Safari overall w/ any add-ons. ...
This is not the reason that Firefox is slower. Firefox is slower because it is not a binary app. Firefox is an XUL-interpreted app built on top of a small runtime engine. In this regard, Firefox has something in common with Java-based apps and Visual BASIC apps. If you prefer Gecko to WebKit and you also want binary app speed, then you should give Camino a try.

pcwiz

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
I'd say speeds between Chrome and Safari (at least on OS X) are almost equal. However, Chrome doesn't have as much functionality as Safari so Safari would win in my opinion. But when it comes to Windows, Chrome beats Safari hands down (in terms of speed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.