Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pointbreakd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
I sent an email to Steve Jobs about my yellow tint 21.5 iMac issues (three exchanges, all affected, resulting in a refund). I got a call from Dena at Executive Care within 24 hours.

She said they are aware of the problem and do not know how widespread it is. According to Dena, the issue is not resolved and that ordering a new iMac will not result in a fixed display.

She said the engineers are working on it now and they are not sure if it's hardware (most likely) or software related. Further Apple stores cannot do repairs because they haven't determined what the issue is.

Her advice:

"Wait to buy one until the issue is resolved."

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Its funny though, Apple keeps on churning out yellow displays, even though they know there not right. The people that it bothers are returning and waiting for a replacement (me for example) and the ones that are "just living with it" are, well, just living with it.

I think the yellowing is on every machine and some people just don't see it or care. I have looked at like 15 machines in my area and there all yellow on the bottom right.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the dilemma of apple is now they cant solve the issue , but orders coming for new iMacs in every day , and they have to deliver by law ,and in the time agreed , they cant say if you ordered one and payed for it sorry we deliver it when we have sorted out the issue
because that could take weeks or month depending what the cause is , if its a construction problem of the screen it could be quiet tricky to find the actual cause , dont know exactly how many parts are in the lcd screen,
but its certainly build out of more then two parts so finding the bad part , and finding a solution on how to fix that part can take time , if possible at all , eventually they even are forced to look for another supplier , in a lcd screen are quiet a few electronic parts especially in the backlid lcd screens , maybe the whole screen needs to be reconstructed from scratch to solve the problem
you never know maybe its only a couple led`s from a bad batch that cause the problem

but they have to deliver the goods ordered in the agreed time , even if they would know that they are likely to be faulty , they can delay a delivery for a couple days, but then customers are screaming already "where is my iMac i odered it already back then and it still did not arrive "
so either way they do get complains

jhbpa

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
I think the yellowing is on every machine and some people just don't see it or care. I have looked at like 15 machines in my area and there all yellow on the bottom right.

I agree 100%. My i7 definitely has it and, ironically, it's most noticeable on macrumors because of the website appearance and the fact that I'm reading about it all of the time.

What I find most amusing are all of the posts asking : "do you have week 47, 49, 50, etc. etc. and is it fixed". Do these folks really believe you can retool a factory in Shanghai while it's operating at full capacity. Apple has made a wise business decision. Most people, including myself, will live with it for awhile, or for the life of the computer (assuming all else is well, fortunately I got a WD HD), let Apple Care take care of it a year from now or throw it on eBay an get a new one when the manufacturing process reaches maturity.

I'm old enough to have paid $3,000 in 1983 for an IBM PC with two floppies and a 12" CRT. The 27" iMac's are a steal, even with yellow.

Like the executive office so honestly implied in their reply, go to the Apple Store and check it out, if it bugs you buy one in 2011.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
the dilemma of apple is now they cant solve the issue , but orders coming for new iMacs in every day , and they have to deliver by law ,and in the time agreed , they cant say if you ordered one and payed for it sorry we deliver it when we have sorted out the issue
because that could take weeks or month depending what the cause is , if its a construction problem of the screen it could be quiet tricky to find the actual cause , dont know exactly how many parts are in the lcd screen,
but its certainly build out of more then two parts so finding the bad part , and finding a solution on how to fix that part can take time , if possible at all , eventually they even are forced to look for another supplier , in a lcd screen are quiet a few electronic parts especially in the backlid lcd screens , maybe the whole screen needs to be reconstructed from scratch to solve the problem
you never know maybe its only a couple led`s from a bad batch that cause the problem

but they have to deliver the goods ordered in the agreed time , even if they would know that they are likely to be faulty , they can delay a delivery for a couple days, but then customers are screaming already "where is my iMac i odered it already back then and it still did not arrive "

sorry but this isn't right.

If Apple know a product is faulty or likely to be faulty then it is illegal in the UK to sell it.

end of story....

Orders don't even have to be fulfilled at all as long as they don't take the money till it ships.

its a shoddy way to do business though if you know you have a problem and still keep sending them out. All you end up doing is annoying the end user.... and, again in the UK it can cost a lot of money.

I'm sure the Apple 'faithful' will keep on ticking highly satisified on the survey when their 22nd iMac eventual turns up faultless.:rolleyes:

I agree 100%. My i7 definitely has it and, ironically, it's most noticeable on macrumors because of the website appearance and the fact that I'm reading about it all of the time.

What I find most amusing are all of the posts asking : "do you have week 47, 49, 50, etc. etc. and is it fixed". Do these folks really believe you can retool a factory in Shanghai while it's operating at full capacity. Apple has made a wise business decision. Most people, including myself, will live with it for awhile, or for the life of the computer (assuming all else is well, fortunately I got a WD HD), let Apple Care take care of it a year from now or throw it on eBay an get a new one when the manufacturing process reaches maturity.

I'm old enough to have paid $3,000 in 1983 for an IBM PC with two floppies and a 12" CRT. The 27" iMac's are a steal, even with yellow.

Like the executive office so honestly implied in their reply, go to the Apple Store and check it out, if it bugs you buy one in 2011.

what an awful attitude......

wise business decision? Really......selling faulty gear?

hmm...

Pointbreakd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006

That is not how contract law works (I'm an attorney).

what an awful attitude......

wise business decision? Really......selling faulty gear?

hmm...

I agree. $1000 is not a good deal for a faulty screen. I could buy a perfect HD 21.5 monitor from Newegg for $200-$300 w. hdmi inputs and a TV tuner.

I'd consider a mac mini but the specs are horrible, or a Mac Pro but the price is horrible.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
That is not how contract law works (I'm an attorney).

luckily you and him are in different countries.

he's part of the free world, you're are in the US.

The clue is next to his name..;)

I agree. $1000 is not a good deal for a faulty screen. I could buy a perfect HD 21.5 monitor from Newegg for $200-$300 w. hdmi inputs and a TV tuner.

I'd consider a mac mini but the specs are horrible, or a Mac Pro but the price is horrible.

from Gizmodo's When to buy Apple products..

wise words..

Mac Mini

Apple's no-frills desktop just got a spec increase and added a server model in late October. It shouldn't be getting any more updates any time soon, which is a shame, because it's still not a very competitive product for the price. Check out the Acer AspireRevo R3610 as a more than viable alternative. Recommendation: DON'T BUY unless you insist on Apple, even when it flies in the face of all logic

Pointbreakd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
luckily you and him are in different countries.

he's part of the free world, you're are in the US.

The clue is next to his name..;)

Wait people live in different countries? I'm confused :). Good catch my friend. Can't speak for the laws in the UK...

from Gizmodo's When to buy Apple products..

wise words..

Mac Mini

Apple's no-frills desktop just got a spec increase and added a server model in late October. It shouldn't be getting any more updates any time soon, which is a shame, because it's still not a very competitive product for the price. Check out the Acer AspireRevo R3610 as a more than viable alternative. Recommendation: DON'T BUY unless you insist on Apple, even when it flies in the face of all logic

Just read that. Stolen from the Macrumors buyers guide. Good stuff, very true.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
A lot of you are getting your panties in a wad, but have you even considered for a moment the validity of the OP's claim?

Bryan

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
A lot of you are getting your panties in a wad, but have you even considered for a moment the validity of the OP's claim?

Bryan

It's true!!! I personally speak to Steve all the time. Sometimes I phone him, he gets me on iChat. Of a weekend we communicate in our dreams through the wonder of scientology.

Perhaps a pinch of this salt for you all?

Pointbreakd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006

Bryan

If you email Steve with a valid complaint, someone from executive care will call you within the week. Just don't abuse it. Sjobs@apple.com. Or you can just call them directly. Call Apple corporate and ask for Gene or Dena 408-996-1010. I have Dena's direct line but I'm not sure if I should post it.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for sharing Pointbreakd :)

I'll definitely wait another 2-3 months before I buy this version...

People should be realistic and patient if they would like these problems worked out: January, and even the March iMacs are not guaranteed to be any different than the current ones.

When I picked up my first iMac almost ten years ago, it was a revision B (333Mhz)-- but it came in a Bondi-blue case, instead of the stated Blueberry case. The harddrive whined so loudly. But it was my first computer, and I didn't know any better. I'm sure there are so many more 27" iMac owners that are in the same position as I was back in 1999; they just don't know any better...

Thanks again Pointbreakd

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Its funny though, Apple keeps on churning out yellow displays, even though they know there not right. The people that it bothers are returning and waiting for a replacement (me for example) and the ones that are "just living with it" are, well, just living with it.

Shareholders.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Thanks for sharing Pointbreakd :)

I'll definitely wait another 2-3 months before I buy this version...

People should be realistic and patient if they would like these problems worked out: January, and even the March iMacs are not guaranteed to be any different than the current ones.

When I picked up my first iMac almost ten years ago, it was a revision B (333Mhz)-- but it came in a Bondi-blue case, instead of the stated Blueberry case. The harddrive whined so loudly. But it was my first computer, and I didn't know any better. I'm sure there are so many more 27" iMac owners that are in the same position as I was back in 1999; they just don't know any better...

Thanks again Pointbreakd

true a bloke over at Gizmodo went thru 16 ACD's before finding a 'non yellow' one. This is clearly not a completely new issue.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

Apple should look at moving production outside on china.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
whats an acd?

Apple Cinema Display

iMac screen without the computer

kenny003 posted this over a Giz..

I am surprised the 24" ACD didn't get this much attention but I'm glad the iMac is. I bought.... 16 24" ACDs before getting one with a "decent" uniform screen. The bottom is still a little more yellow then the top but its the best one out of the 16 units.. My 23" ACD has a perfectly uniform screen

Attachments

• 2dm72up.png
    2dm72up.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 134

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
oh right!
so apple have already gone through this crap once????

tell me it wasnt lg please!

although we have an lg lcd tv at home and to be fair its never missed a beat!!

well what was wrong with the acd's then? maybe its the same thing

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The first 15" LED MBP's suffered with the yellow tinge as well. I believe those were Samsung panels. So yes this is not a new problem for Apple.

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
im so glad i didnt buy an imac yet... im holding out for when apple actually makes one that "just works" without any yellow, flickering, stuttering, hd ticking, problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.