Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:27 PM   #1
audx
macrumors member

How to: Lock an application?

Im looking for an application to lock (with a password) another application. Ive tried the disk utility method but cmon thats ridiculous. There has to be a simple solutuion. Any suggestions?
audx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:29 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Parental Controls and a non-Administrator account.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:24 PM   #3
audx
macrumors member

I dont want to create a new user account, there isnt a program that will lock a application? It seems pretty simple
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by audx View Post
I dont want to create a new user account, there isnt a program that will lock a application? It seems pretty simple
I've never heard of one that locks a single application. Try googling it. If there's no satisfactory results I guess everyone who wants to do this realizes that there's already a built-in solution to the problem.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Thunderforge
macrumors newbie

There seems to be a lot of demand for this sort of thing, but no good solutions. Someone could probably make a few bucks if they made a shareware program for it.

Closest thing I can find is DashCrypt, a widget that encrypts files when you drag and drop them. Yes, they're encrypted, which isn't quite the same thing and might cause problems for applications, but it might work.

The other approach I've seen is an old System 7 program that made files hidden with a password. Not too secure (turning on hidden files shows them all), but it was great to keep kids from deleting important things to make way for their new game. I can't remember the name and I highly doubt it's still around, but at least someone's thought of it.
Thunderforge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:57 PM   #6
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

You could create a password-protected disk image and keep the application stored in it. Then, when wanting to launch the application, the disk image will require a password to access the app.

You could even go as far as creating an alias to the application stored in the disk image, and when double-clicking the alias, it will automatically open the disk image and request the password.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 04:30 AM   #7
audx
macrumors member

jease these days they have apps that will put your dam clothes on for you but they cant even make a app that locks another app with a password? seems simple...
Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:24 AM   #8
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by audx View Post
jease these days they have apps that will put your dam clothes on for you but they cant even make a app that locks another app with a password?
That's only for the iPhone ;-)
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:15 PM   #9
jelmerjt
macrumors newbie

Espionage does what you want. It costs 25 dollars, but it's pretty stable and does the job. You can choose which software you want to encrypt (and accompanying folders), and when you've set it all up, a password prompt will appear each time you want to open one or more of the programs you protected. Simply imput the password and you gain access. Once you quit a program, Espionage will lock it, so that when you want to regain access, you'll have to re-enter the password.

Here's the link: http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/
jelmerjt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:28 PM   #10
audx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelmerjt View Post
Espionage does what you want. It costs 25 dollars, but it's pretty stable and does the job. You can choose which software you want to encrypt (and accompanying folders), and when you've set it all up, a password prompt will appear each time you want to open one or more of the programs you protected. Simply imput the password and you gain access. Once you quit a program, Espionage will lock it, so that when you want to regain access, you'll have to re-enter the password.

Here's the link: http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/
i like your stlye my friend

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store